Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

FRG's - not sure if other branches have this, but army does. LOL

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:47 AM
  • 18 Replies

How has your experience been with the FRG?

I've always heard horror stories about FRGs. When I got up here, my now-bff Holly was in charge of the FRG and it was awesome. Always a good time, but now she got "fired" from a volunteer position and the FRG has quickly gone downhill to the point where we haven't had a meeting in almost 4 months.

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamissy23
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:55 AM

the navy has FRG's...I have never been to one though...But my friend is the pres for her hubbys ship and they always do like spaghetti dinners and bbq's

myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:57 AM

I am the Treasurer for our FRG, but no one ever communicates anything with me and I don't even know when the meetings are half the time.  I am thinking about quitting my volunteer position just because of lack of communication.

wickedfiress
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Like any other time you get a group of people together it can either go very right..... or very very wrong.... especially when it is a group of women as diverse as military wives. We were all raised in different parts of the country (or in some cases other countries), are a mix of different cultures, have different religions, are in different socioeconomic statuses, and have different political ideals.... for some people to clash is inevitable.

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

fairymom2316
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Our FRG doesn't really do much. They just changed leaders, so I am hoping that we will have more meetings/activities =)

mommywife06
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:43 PM

I am our REAR D's FRG leader at the moment well was. I had meetings set up and was ready to start the process of getting things going when the CoC wasnt giving me the paperwork I needed. Phone numbers, anything like that. Nothing. I asked everyday, I told them I needed/wanted them or I would step down nothing. And then on top of it, Im pregnant and when I wanted to set up a metting the commander liked to be there I would call and let her know hey we are having a meeting this day nothing. I have not heard from his CoC since September and I didnt step down until this month. How bad is that? 

nemiller
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:49 PM

i was a KV (marine's version of the FRG, stands for "key volunteer").  i think they've changed the name since i volunteered on my husband's first deployment, though.  for as large as that command was, the KV network was sadly disorganized.  it seemed more like a sorority and the meetings were all about gossiping and drinking than actually doing anything.  that's why i didn't volunteer at my husband's current unit.  it's frustrating to be there to do something, and nobody else is taking it seriously.

TippyD
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:07 PM

If I were to go ff my last FRG I would NEVER go to another FRG meeting. the last group of leaders rigged the vote for the president, their was only 1 person who wanted to "run"  for it, soo the current president the DAY OF the vote   put her friend on the "ballot" it was BS, nominations for all positions were suppose to be put up the month before..anyways, there was other crap that went on, and I HATED having anything to do with it.. I am currently at a base, where they dont do anything(I haven't heard anything, from my hubby's command about an FRG) the ONLY time we have heard from any of the wives, is 8 days after DD was born, DH's LPO and his wife came over to giv us a card from his division and some papers(one was a really cute "baby's first orfders" so freaking cute!!) anyways, we are hoping his next command has a good FRG. my first FRG(same command as the last, just different women were in charge) was GREAT.. I had a m/c during a deployment and the FRG leader came over, mowed my grass(I was on bedrest initially) made sure my hubby was given the weekend off to be with me(I had to have a d/c to clean me out, since I wasn't passing the baby..more to the story but it's long and drawn out..) she was awesome... so I will give frg's another chance.. I just hope the next one is greaat!!

z_padslove
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 7:20 AM

our is a joke hubby got back from iraq in 06 we did not hear from them about anything cept the ball that would of cost 50.00 each to attend and then about  month ago when we got put on notice so ya our pretty much suck no contact with any one including when we had both of our kids so if your not in their click thenyou dont count for anything

but hey ok with that not into being around a bunch of snobs i just giggle to myself knowing that most of their husbands had a good time at the strip clubs when they first got deployed in 05 thats when i met hubby (not at the strip club)

i know at least 3 that messed around on thier wives while they were there the guys wont even breath wrong in my direction all i can do is giggle

Fort Hood, Texas | Graphics ...

angduse1
by on Jun. 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM

I am an Oldie EX military Wife. And I remember when I was stationed with Husband in Germany in 1990 to 1993.. that we talked about the need of such a group and how much fun it would be.. If there was one I was never told about it.. and I can see from most of your comments on here that they are not working out very well.. This all takes Team Work. and with out that. Well it just won't happen. NO one person can take care of the whole thing.. Too bad I say.. Hope you all have a better experience with FRG some day.. HUGS!!!

eranne
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 12:00 AM

I love my FRG. All the women I've met have been great, they have regular get togethers. This is the first time that my husband has been with a unit that has really had an FRG and it's been a great experience so far.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)