Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

house question

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:06 PM
  • 7 Replies

we are in the process of buying a house. The loan office is giving me an isusse about the POA (power of attorney). saying that the POA won't work, even though it says on it "real property transactions" Is she, my loan person, just giving me the run around because she can. (my DH is where he can get things easier then others can) Should I just give in and send it to my DH or should I stand my ground?

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Seans_mommy123
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2009 at 7:46 AM

The one you have should work BUT i'd ask if they want a specific one stating the address of the property and the closing date and blah blah blah. My DH and I bought a house in June but we were living separate at the time due to issues with trying to buy the house and him needing to report to his new unit. We were going to get a POA for me so he could just take care of everything but it would have pushed closing back for us and it would have had to have been specific.

fairymom2316
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 10:59 AM

I think you need to get the Special POA, if I'm not mistaken. This is the one DH sent to me when I had to look for a house. He can send it from over there as a PDF file.

Kimora_neko
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 12:03 PM

When he got it he got it for two main reasons, one being to do our taxes and the other for us buying the house. We knew we would get one sometime before he got home so he told them this.

fairymom2316
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Does the POA say general or special??

Quoting Kimora_neko:

When he got it he got it for two main reasons, one being to do our taxes and the other for us buying the house. We knew we would get one sometime before he got home so he told them this.

mamamissy23
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 2:55 PM

I have a power of attorney that you can do pretty much anything with. Sometimes I think people are real dicks about it like for instance. My husband has a student loan that we were trying to get deferred because he is taking classes while he is deployed so he can get this degree done and over with and the student loan people refused to talk to me they didnt care that I had POA. But I would stand your ground and be like look lady this is what the POA is for. If you still have problems I would go with a different loan company. I was looking at buying a car too with a POA we were trading one in and I was going to get him the truck he wanted and they were going to let me get it in just his name with the POA, but then they didnt give me what I wanted for my trade in so I walked...

Brat111507
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 7:48 PM

I hate to say this, but they do not have to honor a POA, it is totally up to the institution as to whether or not they will accept a POA. In most cases you will need a specific POA to handle housing or the purchase of property. Most mortgage companies will not accept a military POA because there is no way to know for fact the POA is current. Yes I know a serious pain in the butt...but that is the reality.

table4five210
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:41 PM

I bought our house with a POA.  I do have a POA done at the legal office, but the title company wouldn't take that.  What we had to do was have the title company send me the POA over email in a PDF, Mike had to have it signed and notarized and sent back.  They sent him a fedex label.  I will tell you that closing a house with a POA is a PITA.  You have to sign everything where they sign with some long statement so be prepared to spend some time there. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)