Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O Questions about Movers

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:36 AM
  • 9 Replies

Another post got me thinking, do you do things for the movers to let them know their service is appreciated?  We have always had very good movers that were super nice people.  They were very considerate and I really appreciated everything they do.  I always buy them lunch at least one day out of the 2-3 days they are around.  I offer them drinks and make sure they know that it is okay to use the restroom if needed.  I don't want them to have to ask.

The last movers were so kind.  All of the guys were Samoan.  They asked my permission to speak their native language while they worked.  I told them that I know some people don't like that, but I am not one of them.  I told them to do whatever they need to do to get their job done.  A couple of the guys didn't speak English as well as the others.  One guy was talking to me about Salmon fishing up here and offered to teach my family how to do it.  We have 4 boys, so he thought it would be a good family thing to do together.  They were just so nice the whole time and I really liked them.

So, do you do nice things for the movers when they come to your house?

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ArmyWifey4907
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:49 AM

When we did our PCS, the guys that came to pack up our apartment and drive it from MN to TX were very nice.  I offered to buy them lunch from Burger King since I was going there anyways, but they refused.  But we did have ice cold bottled water for them throughout the day. 

Now the movers that brought our stuff to our house in TX, they were rude as hell so they didn't get any sort of appreciation from us.  They were 7 hours late getting our stuff to us (it had already been 3 weeks that we were waiting and living in a hotel because we didn't have any of our things), they repeatedly dropped boxes as they were carrying them in, they broke our recliner taking it off the truck and tried to say it happened during the drive (I saw them break it), they broke the glass door on our entertainment center, and all 5 guys just had bad attitudes. 

pregnancy calendar

fairymom2316
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM

When the movers packed our stuff, it only took about 5 hours so they weren't there long. We did give them water but they refused the lunch since they had brought their own. It was only 2 guys, we didn't have much in our house, LOL

armycoppertop
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:57 AM

I have always made sure to keep cold water and if possible, gatorade. I also like to order pizzas for lunch for them to eat if my budget allows. Depending on their attitudes, I will even help them (the guys who actually loaded the trucks at Riley and Bragg, not the ones who packed the boxes, teased me that I must want them out of my house FAST, because I was dragging the boxes out of the bedrooms into the living room so they could grab from there instead of having to get down the tiny hallways!).

Calorie Counter                         

MyFitnessPal - Free Food Diary

myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Lol...our first move, we moved from a 5 bedroom, 3 bath, 2 living room, 2 dining room home.  Oh man was it a mess!  We had way too much stuff and we had to downsize a lot.

Quoting fairymom2316:

When the movers packed our stuff, it only took about 5 hours so they weren't there long. We did give them water but they refused the lunch since they had brought their own. It was only 2 guys, we didn't have much in our house, LOL

tangleballlover
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Well when we PCS'd to Ft. Drum the first time, the movers were from Knoxville, TN, and they were HORRIBLE. So much of our stuff got banged up and they did a really crappy job. We had packed up our own stuff, they just transported and unloaded. I never really thought of having stuff to eat/drink b/c they weren't there long.

~CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE NEWEST MILITARY MOM GROUP ON CAFEMOM~

mom2cindylouwho
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:19 AM

We've had nothing but positive experiences with our movers.  We've just had cold drinks & ice on hand for them (they always packed their own lunches)... and access to our bathroom, of course.  Moving down South it got REALLY hot. 
Our first move we ended up giving our VCR to one of the guys (with written/signed documentation, of course) and on our 2nd, we ended up giving two of the guys 2 of 3 our window A/C units (we needed all 3 in our house at Ft. Polk, LA ... it was a 2 story but the thermostat was controlled!  It got pretty toasty upstairs in the summer).

Karasmomma2007
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:26 AM

We just moved to Fort Hood, and when the movers came, we were already here. So I think they took full advantage of the fact that they didn't have any supervision. Alot of things were broken/missing. And to top it off, they didn't pay attention to what they put with what. A toilet brush with my DD's teddy bear? I was not happy!

When our stuff was delivered, I offered cold drinks and brownies. There was only one guy, so I helped as much as could. I was unaware that they are supposed to help unpack and rebuild things that they took apart. He pretty much just packed everything into the living then left! Next time, I will be here when they pack and know what they are supposed to do so hopefully it will go better!

Brandie_xo
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:08 PM

the last movers we had were so horrible i felt like they should be paying me. (and they pretty much will be)

they took a break every half hour to go out to their truck and drink, so by the time they were finished they were completely bombed. i caught one of them smoking in my bathroom. they played with y daughters outside toys and managed to kick one of her balls onto the roof.  for people that barely spoke english they sure did drop the f bomb alot.  they trie to say they were finished and leave, but they didnt pack up either of my bathrooms or my utility room.  i actually had to walk around behind them and point stuff out that they didnt pack. not to mention i had to unpack several of their boxes and make them do it over because NOTHING was wrappped. they had 6 guys in there so i couldnt even keep my eye on them.  one of them stole about 40 euros from me.

when our stuff got to our destination i cried everytime i opened a box. ALL our furniture was ruined. the total for everything ruined was about 4000.  still going thru a battle with JAG for all of that.  The destinaton movers even offered their testiomony in writing. they said they had never seen such a horrible job.

lcappytan05
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:23 PM

We only have moved to one duty station and that's where we are now...

The movers that came the first day to get our dishes and stuff were awesome, they were done in like 20minutes and they didn't mess around...I kept complimenting them and gave them a good review.

The movers that came the second day, I wish I could find those bastards. First off, they came in the house and acted like it was a chore to be there. Then I told them that I wanted to start down in the one room and then move our way up (it was only me there at the time and 3 of them...I had the majority of our stuff pulled into the one room for convenience). When I talking to one of the guys, the other one went upstairs and started messing around up there.

Then when they went and took a break outside, I'm pretty sure they were smoking pot or something in their truck....but I didn't have any proof.

Then, they didn't write down any of our movies or games on the inventory sheet and wouldn't you know that when we got our stuff over here, I only had 20 out of over 150 movies and 0 video games....they stole the rest. When I went to make a claim, I only had one picture on my camera that showed proof I had a few more movies...

Then they shipped our futon but didn't ship the screws with it....

needless to say, I learned a lot from our first move...and we had over $3000 worth of stuff stolen from us...

but, I learned for next time...

Army wife to Chad (12/28/2007) army

Mommy to Jeffrey (10/14/2009) baby boy

Military Moms
Join us on The Military Moms Group - -Military Moms Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)