Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Army National Guard

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:15 PM
  • 11 Replies

My husband is thinking about joining the National Guard. I know that it's not all gravy but I am just curious as to what to expect. I don't know anyone that has a SO in the Natioanl Guard so I don't know where else to turn. What should I expect as a wife and mother? What should he expect as a  husband, father, and person joining? Pretty much what are the pros and cons? He was thinking going in full time because the benefits are better or whatever his reasoning is. How does every thing between the National Guard and the Army compare?

~~Also, my husband is on SSI for mental reasons. He is on medication and they are aware of this. He is wanting to get off his SSI check and not have it being held over his head. Is the military a good idea for this or no?~~

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:23 PM

My husband is a recrutier for the Army and I know people who are in the National Guard and all I hear from them is that the National Guard is the shaft of the military. They deploy to the worst areas and often. Make sure he exhausts every other option before settling on one. Have him look into being a recruiter for the reserves or guard or something.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:31 PM

My SO is in the National Guard. I met him about two months after he finished AIT. This is all still new to me so I really don't have any advice, but i'm glad you posted this b/c i'm also in need of advice on this issue.So far we have had some advantages, about 6 mths ago he was offered a great job with the military paying almost triple his previous job. He'll also be deploying in July of next year. Things are working out good for us so far.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Ok here goes.Hubby was active went resv to finish his degree.He HATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  them.He tells me it is "overweight men liking to strut around" Now like i said he was prior active.We never get paid on time when he does his weekend we will get it anywhere between 1-3 weeks later, you have to pay like 100 for a family on tricare.Also when they do their 2 weeks it takes awhile for that to come in.When it comes to Deployment they don't get them ready like they should , he has never deployed with this unit i am telling this from other men i have talked to.All in all most men i talk to say that they stay in Guard for only a little bit , then they go active because of all the BS.I say go all the way plus you get the benefits Well if you need anymore info pm me .Just to add hubs is going active in spring and going to OCS.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:57 PM

If he wants to go full-time he should go active.  There is no guarantee he'll get a full-time position in the Guard.  Guard and Reserves are by nature part time positions.  You only drill one weekend a month and have training 2 weeks a year so you must have an outside full time job to make ends meet.  Drill pay is only a few hundred dollars a month and you have to pay for your healthcare unlike active duty.  As for the medication issue, current regulation requires you to be off the medication for at least 1 yr and be medically cleared by a doctor.  If he has a diagnosis for any type of mental illness, (depression, anxiety, etc), then he will have to submit his medical records to be reviewed and they will either say yes or no.   Because if he's currently on medication, he will be disqualified automatically.  And then of course they'll want to know what it's for and that's a disqualification as well. 

by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:33 PM

i was National Guard and have had to put up with the negitave comments, even from my active husband, that were listed here. it is going to depend on his MOS to start with. i have close friends who are full time if you have some q's i can get a hold of them and get you some answers. i will tell you this that is where i made alot of life long friends, more like family they tend to be a close net group if you have any more Q's let me know.

by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:41 PM

I'm unsure about Army National Guard.. my brother in law is army guard but my hubby is Air Force National Guard. we love it. we haven't had any issues with it so far. he is medical though so we see a different side of things then most. He deploys on a volunteer basis..  so he will generally be doing stateside missions =) my brother in law deploys on a volunteer basis also... but he has deployed to Iraq 3 times due to the need to serve his country and he says the $ is great while he is deployed.. I dunno we haven't been faced with this decision. I do know ALOT of people talk very negative about the Guard and it is very disappointing. My hubby has been told that he is not a real soldier because he is in the guard which of course is not in any way true =)... i would explore all options and then sit down and talk with each other and make the best decision for you and your family (=

*~*Mommy of 3 beautiful girls and loving wife to a wonderful 1st Lt. in the USAF ANG*~*

by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 1:10 PM

I'm in the Reserves and my husband is active duty Army (we met in training) and sometimes I really wish I had gone active. Reserve units only have a couple of people working full time to maintain the entire unit, so things get pretty disorganized. And the pay is literally $160 a month. If he joins National Guard or Reserves he will have to wait TWO YEARS before he can go active, unless he can find a loophole, I asked my Retention NCO about going active so I could be stationed and work with my husband and he told me that. I'm back in school and taking full advantage of my montgomery GI bill, but makes sure that he reads his contract and MAKES SURE what is supposed to be in his contract is there. My husband got screwed over b/c he took his recruiters word for it and didn't get a bonus like he thought he was. And your husband WILL deploy. Every recruiter in the world will tell you- oh, the unit you're going into doesn't deploy. Mine told me that and when I graduated AIT I found out that the unit was ON DEPLOYMENT when he recruited me!! We are scheduled to go in 2 years, another reason I wanted to join my husbands unit, at least then we would be deployed together. Being reserves and active we see the BS from both sides- feel free to message me if you have questions. Good luck! 

Join us! A place for Mom's with loved ones on deployment to support one another through a pregnancy. If you are or ever have been pg while your loved one was away join us!

army              stork

by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 1:28 PM

My husband is Army national Gaurd he has been in three years now and i new him when he was joining. It all depened on the unit you go to how the guys are. My husband loved his unit until he deployed with a diffrent unit and when he came back the command has changed and has gone to crap he is looking into htey Navy. I also hate that some miltary woman who i have ran into that i use to go to school with told me im not an army wife im and army wife wana be. My husband loves serving his country and no matter what i am behind him sure the with what he is wanting to do in they navey will mean he is gone three months and home then gone agian.this are life i am A MIlATARY WIFE NO MATTER WHAT HE DOES I AM BEHIND HIM. I feel i am doing something for are country not much but something. If you have any questions let me know im here

by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 3:05 PM
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 3:35 PM

DH is in the Reserves which is similar.  Expect for him to be deployed, and probably shortly after training. DH graduated AIT in May of 08, they wanted to deploy him in August but some strings were pulled because our son was due at the end of July and my pregnancy was high risk. He deployed this summer and they're already talking about deploying him a few months after he gets back. One deployment, fine but two or three back-to-back. I wasn't expecting that. Just seems all the units in our area are short soldiers with his MOS.  Will they let your hubby join with his mental issues? I know when DH was in basic, a lot of people with previous history cracked and some went AWOL, some were put on suicide watch and another killed himself. Not saying this will happen to your husband, but that's what makes me think they at least try to screen people first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)