Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Basic Training ? for those who are in...

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2009 at 3:59 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am thinking about maybe doing Army Reserves...  I am unsure about Basic Training..  Ive had friends who have done it but its basically fear of the unknown that scares me... 

So if you have been thru it tell me what you thought...  Be honest, dont sugar coat or anything  ;)

Wife to the hottest Army Recruiter around and mom to the best looking kids... Aiden, Hunter and Liv. 

Please spay/neuter your pets...  Everyday thousands of dogs, cat, puppies and kittens are euthanized simply because there aren't enough homes.  Adopt a shelter pet or choose a responsible breeder.

by on Nov. 22, 2009 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunshine86912
by on Nov. 22, 2009 at 4:00 PM

i couldnt do it because i would hate to ever get called away from my family..i love my kids and i couldnt stand to be away from them for a year if something happened (not saying you dont love your kids, I just know I couldnt do it!)

sherwins.girl
by on Nov. 22, 2009 at 4:04 PM

the only thing that really scares me is the deploying part... but, if i can land the job i want, animal care (cant remember the actual name of it) then i think the likelyhood of deploying is low...

not saying i would enjoy leaving my kids for around 4 months...

Wife to the hottest Army Recruiter around and mom to the best looking kids... Aiden, Hunter and Liv. 

Please spay/neuter your pets...  Everyday thousands of dogs, cat, puppies and kittens are euthanized simply because there aren't enough homes.  Adopt a shelter pet or choose a responsible breeder.

Susan0805
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2009 at 4:10 PM

About basic, expect to not eat enough, not sleep enough, not be clean, barely talk to your family, not have privacy, be yelled at, be sick (everyone gets sick while in basic because your all packed in together from all different places so at the least if your lucky you'll just get a cold..lol. But try to suck it up and not go to the infirmary if possible!), You should probably start running now if you dont already...lol., Just so your butt doesnt get kicked so badly doing pt...lol 

Theres really no way to prepare other than running... also, dont volunteer for ANYTHING!! For example if they ask who is a good shot... if you volunteer you'll be lining up beds (like a scope...lol) or if they ask who has kids (dont lie just dont raise your hand first) youll be doing laundry for like 50 people... there were other things they asked but I forgot,..they were clever ways to find people to clean toilets, bathrooms, etc!

~*~ Proud mommy to Hannah and taylon & wifey to bobby! ~*~

Susan0805
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Oh and if your TI doesnt know who you are then you are doing the right thing...lol. The longer you fly under the radar the better! The only times you want to stand out are on timed courses, grades, and pt scores....all other times its best that dont even know your there! Just do what your told and dont cut corners (example ...if they say to sleep in your pt uniform then sleep in your pt uniform... sometimes they will sneak in after lights out and catch people screwing up!) lastly dont hide things... put stuff were they belong..for instance someone hid stuff under there pillow or in there laundry bag instead of putting it were they belong...and instead of that person getting in trouble the whole group does...it sucks! Oh and expect someone to be watching you all the time even when your not so dont make the mistake of letting your guard down!

~*~ Proud mommy to Hannah and taylon & wifey to bobby! ~*~

jaderoatch
by on Nov. 22, 2009 at 6:52 PM

LOL I WAS SO DIFFERENT HEHE I WANTED TO STAND OUT IN PT WISE EXCEPT I COULDNT DO THE RUNNING I MEAN I PASSED DONT GET ME WRONG LIKE THE ONE SAID START RUNNING NOW AND I HAD A BLAST IT WAS THE RUNNING THAT GOT TO ME IM NOW DISCHARGED CUZ I GOT PREGGO AND I DIDNT MAKE IT TO AIT LOL I WAS A SPLIT OPS SO I HAD MY BASIC INBETWEEN MY JR AND SR YEARS OF HS AND MY HUBBY KNOCKED ME UP LOL BUT I DIDNT MIND CUZ HEY HE WAS IN TO SO IT WORKED FOR US BUT YEA ITS THE RUNNING THATS HARD I LOVED THE LITTLE FIGHTING LOL THAT YOU DO THE SPARING THE GAS CHAMBER SUCKS LOL YOU CAN COME OUT GOOD OR BAD IT ALL DEPENDS HOW YOUR BODY TAKES IT I COULDNT BREATH AFTER IT OR SEE UMM YEA FOOD NOT THE GREATEST YUCK LOTS OF CHICKEN IF YOU LIKE CHICKEN YOUR IN THE RIGHT PLACE LOL MY BROTHER WOULD BE IN CHICKEN HEVEN UMMM YES YOU ARE CRAMMED TOGETHER I THINK THERE WERE OVER 50 GIRLS IN ONE ROOM AND THE SAME FOR THE GUYS IF YOU GET FT JACKSON THATS WERE I WENT NOT TO BAD I HAD IT EASY I GUESS WELL THATS WHAT MY HUBBY SAYS LOL EVERY DRILL SGT IS DIFFERENT HOW THEY DO THINGS SOME ARE STRICK AND SOME ARE NOT I DIDNT REALLY GET YELLED AT EXCEPT FOR MY RUNNING CUZ I DIDNT PASS MY RUN TILL THE VERY LAST PT TEST TO GRADUATE IF YOU DONT PASS YOU DONT GRADUATE AND YOU GO THROUGH IT ALL OVER AGAIN BUT I THINK IT WAS THE BEST THING THAT I EVER DID BUT I WAS IN HS AND NO KIDS SO IT WAS DIFFERENT IF YOU HAVE KIDS I SEEN SO MANY MOMS BREAK DOWN AND CRY CUZ THEY COULDNT SEE THERE KIDS OR TALK TO THEM THAT MUCH ITS HARD BEING A PARENT AND GOING THROUGH IT I MEAN I THINK IF YOU REALLY WANTED TO DO IT I WOULD SO GO OCS WHEN YOU GRADUATE BASIC YOUR AUTOMATIC E5 SGT SO THATS A COOL THING TO THINK ABOUT AND IF YOUR HUBBY IS A RECRUITER THEN HE WOULD HAVE THE BEST ANSWERES FOR YOU  GOOD LUCK ON UR DISCION I MEAN I WOULD HATE THE DEPLOYMENT PART BUT IF YOU GET SOMETHING THAT DOEST DEPLOYE MUCH THAT WOULD BE AWSOME FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY 

Pregnancy ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker      *~*jade*~*

D3M3L0v387
by on Nov. 22, 2009 at 7:22 PM

For me basic wasn't really hard. I just had a problem with running, I didn't pass my PT until the day before Family Day, I was soooo freaking happy! The only thing is do as you are told. If they tell you to drop, just drop. My Drill Sergeants weren't mean to us at all, unless we did something. Basic is pretty fun, I was quiet for the most part & I stayed to myself, I mean I made a lot of friends, but I never tried to stick out and be the Platoon Leader. But basic is what you put into it. Oh YEAH. Read the bible because sometime you will feel really lonely. And have your family send you letters & packages like underwear, medicine, cards, cold drops( That was our candy l0l). I had my hubby send me things every week so the 8 weeks, I was there I got something nearly every week or maybe twice a week. But it's not bad. I actually liked it. All I have to say is pray and stay focused. Hopefully you'll get your phone every weekend like I did.

Dayija
by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 1:46 PM

I went thru AF Basic...It was tough but I would NEVER change it for the world.Those memories are ones I'll keep till the end and the friends I've made too. I was one of those that my TI knew me but I wasn't on her radar. So I did fine in Basic...no sleep was okay for me. They do that on purpose but you eat very, very well and if you really think about it. You're getting paid a lot to just sit in class all morning, doing PT all day and studying all night. Not a bad deal, I think. I got a sweet body out the deal :-)  

sherwins.girl
by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 3:49 PM

well i am leaning towards joining the army reserves... dh is active army.  at the rate im going school is going to take me forever and cost alot too.. at least with the reserves i could get a signing bonus and get paid while training... 

our biggest hoop to jump thru right now is the kids...  i think im going to see if the ex can take the boys for the summer so that way dh only has our daughter to contend with...

i was only like 30% interested in doing it but im really thinking now it would be really good for me and the family... so i think now im at like 70%....

ive never finished anything ive started so i think this would be really good for me...  plus i never had the on my own experience that so many other people have had...  and i could really use a break from my life  (not that its bad but good god is it busy  lol) 

thanks for the info from everyone!!!

avegajenkins
by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 4:23 PM

I dont know..

I know I would be able to do the job bc im so percise w. things and i like things to get done right not 1/2 a$$ed even when im tired I push myself- but the Basic however is a different story LOL and like other moms said the long deploy - i wouldnt be able 2 do it.

We Love OUR DADDY he is our HERO...ARMY WIFE & Mom of 3.. Missing our home..NYC

army

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN