Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Deployment question

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:45 AM
  • 14 Replies

DH will be leaving in a few days and I am just wondering if you ladies could tell me what to expect when we drop him off. It will just be me and our kiddos and I would like to kinda know what is going on. Oh yea he is leaving with the early part not main body if that makes any difference.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
airbornewife04
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Well with the last 4 times that I had to say goodbye for a year, i wasnt able to see him get on the plane. It depends on the unit if they let them at green ramp to say goodbye. But the last 4 times out his 5 times deploying, family were not allowed at green ramp. We had to say goodbye at his company. On Aug 23rd, 2009 hubby deployed and we had to say goodbye in the company parking lot and it was raining and cold. We just kissed, stood there a few, he said goodbye to the girls and then he headed to his company to get his sensitive items. They stopped in Maine and he called me then and then went straight to Iraq from Maine. With like 2 stops in between there but never went to Kuwait like the rest of the unit did.

CafeMom Tickers
CMcDougal
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:29 AM

DH is Reserves, so it was a little different for us. We didn't get to see him get on a plane, we put him on a bus back to the base he deployed from. That was his last leave before he deployed.  He didn't actually deploy for a few more days. He called me from the plane and then when he got to his first "safe" country.  That is one thing that sucks about the Reserves, he didn't actually deploy till early September but he's been away from us for the most part since May.

tangleballlover
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Just wanted to say good luck. I unfortunately missed seeing my husband off b/c I moved back home about 2 months before he deployed.

~CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE NEWEST MILITARY MOM GROUP ON CAFEMOM~

fairymom2316
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:47 AM

I was never with my husband when he left but I was there the day before he did. I was kinda of glad that I wasn't going to be there on the exact date, I think I would have been a mess inside since I would have tried holding it in. He was the one who dropped me off in the airport and that was hard enough. I was glad that we got to say good-bye without a crowd watching, it made it more intimate.

If you can, try to let all your emotions out before you leave the house. It won't be easy when you see him go but at least you will have most of the crying out...

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:10 AM

When DH left as Torch Party it was just him and the XO the Van picked them up at the unit and it was just a very quiet good bye. When DH left the last time he left with main body. It was a long process, they had to get their weapons, then it was still a few hours before the bus pulled up. Once the bus is there they loaded and were gone.

sunshine86912
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:12 AM

i know when bry left i wasnt allowed to go to green ramp (he left with rear d guys, they got shipped off too) and we met over at the 82nd airborne place, they got on buses and then went to green ramp..as far as i know thats pretty much how it runs..you see them onto a bus..and then they ride to a plane

Bekah062205
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:14 AM

we are Navy and when dh was deployed it was me and dd with him standing on the pier me trying not to cry, dd had no clue what was going on....and thats all we did, we just stood there hugging...I left before they pulled out of the pier because i had to be strong enough to drive home. This was our first deployment. BUT it went by faster than i thought it would have. Good Luck to you.

tory_armywife
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Quoting airbornewife04:

Well with the last 4 times that I had to say goodbye for a year, i wasnt able to see him get on the plane. It depends on the unit if they let them at green ramp to say goodbye. But the last 4 times out his 5 times deploying, family were not allowed at green ramp. We had to say goodbye at his company. On Aug 23rd, 2009 hubby deployed and we had to say goodbye in the company parking lot and it was raining and cold. We just kissed, stood there a few, he said goodbye to the girls and then he headed to his company to get his sensitive items. They stopped in Maine and he called me then and then went straight to Iraq from Maine. With like 2 stops in between there but never went to Kuwait like the rest of the unit did.

This is what happened to me too. The last time I seen my DH before he left was at his company. I guess it does depend on the unit. I was strong for him when I was there, but as I was getting into my car to go back home, the river of tears came out. The 1st few days were very hard, but now its not so bad. We chat online sometimes, and he will call me every once in a while. We send each other packages too.

mpwifeaj
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:19 PM

I think every brigade does it different...one was getting on a bus and driving away while i watched....and the last was just plain HORRIBLE!! It was misting rain and nasty as heck out and FREEEEEZING and every 5 min. they were wanting them to come and do different things that should have been done prior to that day. Then i gave him a kiss before formation thinking i would get to hold him again but, they made them march away from us and we had to watch while they kept marching about a mile away...oh it was terrible!! He's home safe now though :)))

MomNtheRes
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Lots of WAITING. We waited for about 3 hours, and then they went and got weapons issued and to briefings, so we couldn't follow. Lots of kids, people milling about, crying and hugging. Its heart wrenching, really. 

Join my group! Its rapidly growing and a great support system for those going through a deployment :)

Join us! An active group for Mom's who are, or have been through, a deployment to support one another so we can stay Deployment Strong!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/DeploymentStrong

come home               in love

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)