Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need to vent.....

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:29 PM
  • 3 Replies

over the dinner table tonight, my 6 year old looked up at me and said "mommy, did you know that the bad guys are winning the war?"

i looked at her is total shock and asked her where she heard that. she said that a boy in her class told her that. i told her that he was wrong and she said that he heard it on the tv and that more of the good guys had died. She looked so hurt and upset. to her, her daddy is the good guys. and if the bad guys are winning then her daddy is the one who is losing. all the pride she had once felt for having a hero for a daddy was gone and she was almost in tears. my heart sunk.

first of all, i don't let my kids watch the news. why does a 6 year old need to see what the "news" has to say? and second of all, when they say that the bad guys are winning, why, as a christian and American, would you not correct them. why would you let them believe that God's country is losing? (sorry if the religion thing strikes a nerve, I am a God-fearing woman)

I quickly told her that God would not allow the good guys to lose because God is always on the good guys' side.

Then I composed an email to the child's mother and to the teacher. I wish i could have placed a call, but i don't have the number and couldn't wait until I saw them at school.

Her hope has been restored and her heart is at peace again. I swear on all things holy, that if anyone ever breaks her heart the way that little boy did today, I will put someone in the ground. (maybe not that christian, but still...) I am not mad at the child...just to clarify...i am disappointed in the parents for allowing their child to believe something like that. where is the hope and patriotism? *sigh*

Daisypath Anniversary Years Tickernurseyellow ribbon

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
nemiller
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:19 PM

i really don't know what to say.  on the one hand, everybody's got a right to an opinion.  the child's parents might be against the war, and the kid is just regurgitating what he hears at home.  or maybe he's watched the news.  or has an older sibling who's telling him their own opinions.  whatever it is, it's not so important that people only tell your daughter what she wants to know.  it's important that you keep telling her how much good her daddy is doing and why she should be proud, even if bad things seem to happen sometimes.

MomNtheRes
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:24 PM

I agree- I would re-iterate to my kiddo that other people feel differently, but that is NOT always whats really going on. The older our kids get the more crap they are going to hear about all sorts of things we don't want them to, the main thing is that she knows she can come to you with it and that she knows just because people Say something, that doesn't make them right!

Join us! An active group for Mom's who are, or have been through, a deployment to support one another so we can stay Deployment Strong!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/DeploymentStrong

come home               in love

CMcDougal
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Aww! That may be a harmless comment to a child who doesn't have a parent in the military, but to a child with a deployed parent, something so seemingly harmless can clearly be devastating.  So sad, really.  I hope it was something that was just said off-hand to the boy or something he deduced on his own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)