Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you feel about this?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:56 PM
  • 16 Replies

So, I had a message on my FB status basically stating that I am glad a homicidal maniac is off the streets.  I was referring to the killer of the 4 police officers in my area that was shot and killed this morning.

A soldier friend of mine commented back with this:

What is truly sad is if the father of your children were to be killed in the line of duty, no one outside post and some friends would be this worked up, and there would be no long funeral processions downtown, or media coverage, and the flag sure as shit would not be flying at half staff, and that is a sad commentary on our society, that we honor cops and emt's more than the people who actually secure our freedoms.

I feel that his comment was minimizing the job that police officers do in our community.  Imo, anyone that risks their lives to save people or to make our country a better place to live are good people.  One isn't better than the other.  Maybe they should do more to honor fallen soldiers, but is it right to downplay the job that the officers do?

What do you think?

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jkmeier8909
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:02 PM

i have quite a few friends that are cops and i think there job is just as important as anybody that is in the military. and i think was completely disrespectful. altho they do do more for police officers that die than soldiers and marines and anyone in the military. but thats the way it is. and we as military wives and moms have to deal with it.

CafeMom Tickers
4armycuties
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:02 PM

I have to agree with you. I think we shouldn't trivialise what cops, firefighters or EMT's do because it's on our soil. They're still at risk and everyday isn't promised. I had a few uncles who were cops and some cousins who are EMTs/volunteer firefighters. We should honor our veterans and those KIA more, though.

myfoursonsks
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:04 PM

This was my response:

I know the same ceremonies do not happen for the military because to a lot of people, it is just another number. But, I would never take away from or downplay the important role that police officers play in our communities and the fact that they risk their lives as well. It isn't the fault of the officers that society has lost value of each individual life of soldiers in the military.

Quoting jkmeier8909:

i have quite a few friends that are cops and i think there job is just as important as anybody that is in the military. and i think was completely disrespectful. altho they do do more for police officers that die than soldiers and marines and anyone in the military. but thats the way it is. and we as military wives and moms have to deal with it.

sunshine86912
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:08 PM

that last little bit seems slighty offensive..but other than that i agree with his comment..buts its a "life not fair" comment..police officers get recoginized, while a solider may not even get noticed by anyone other than family and friends...but all that really matters is that someone misses them and someone does care..doesnt mean EVERYONE has to care i guess...

myfoursonsks
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:19 PM

I think if something were to happen to our husband that our hometown would honor him very nicely. Maybe it is the size of the community that makes a difference?  I don't know.  We come from a very small town of around 3000 people.  I have a feeling that basically the whole town would attend and it would be a very big deal.  I don't think I would even really want a community that knows nothing about him honoring him.  I don't know.  I just hope I am never in that position.

Quoting sunshine86912:

that last little bit seems slighty offensive..but other than that i agree with his comment..buts its a "life not fair" comment..police officers get recoginized, while a solider may not even get noticed by anyone other than family and friends...but all that really matters is that someone misses them and someone does care..doesnt mean EVERYONE has to care i guess...

toriandgrace
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Look at Ft. Hood. Flags were lowered. People lined the streets. These men were executed, not killed in the line of duty. It's a little different situation. Sure, our fallen soldiers need more respect, but that is a different issue all together.

bluesky51201
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 10:42 AM

I'm glad he's not on my friend list because I would have let him have it.  My father has been a cop all my life and nothing pisses me off more than to see his role in the community trivialized.  I am so sick of people comparing the military to cops, emts. firefighters etc.  They all have an important job to do, leave it at that.

myfoursonsks
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 10:46 AM

I am thinking he is bitter right now.  Just a few months ago, he got a medical discharge for a knee injury after serving over 15 years.  I am not sure exactly how long he was in.  But, he is depressed and kind of feeling like his life was taken away from him right now.  So, as offensive as it is, I don't think he is thinking clearly right now.

Quoting bluesky51201:

I'm glad he's not on my friend list because I would have let him have it.  My father has been a cop all my life and nothing pisses me off more than to see his role in the community trivialized.  I am so sick of people comparing the military to cops, emts. firefighters etc.  They all have an important job to do, leave it at that.

tangleballlover
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:07 PM

I think I know the lines along what he is trying to say, but including POs in that was a little off. I know my husband gets pissed when a celebrity dies and gets a week to two weeks coverage but when soldiers die, it's not even front page news. There is a big difference in someone entertaining and someone risking their lives to protect others though so he was a little far out of line there by saying something to include PO

~CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE NEWEST MILITARY MOM GROUP ON CAFEMOM~

myfoursonsks
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Considering that he was responding to the 4 officers in our town that were totally ambushed and murdered while having their morning coffee before work that left 9 children between them, I felt it was pretty heartless.  I think he made himself look like an ass.

I would be very concerned if our community didn't recognize the 4 officers and acted like it was just another day.  That would be sad.

Quoting tangleballlover:

I think I know the lines along what he is trying to say, but including POs in that was a little off. I know my husband gets pissed when a celebrity dies and gets a week to two weeks coverage but when soldiers die, it's not even front page news. There is a big difference in someone entertaining and someone risking their lives to protect others though so he was a little far out of line there by saying something to include PO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)