Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The "Hero" Card

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:27 PM
  • 25 Replies

What do you think about soldiers or their families using the "hero" card?  I really hate it and feel like it makes a bad impression on military families.

I see it in CM a lot.  Someone disagrees with someone and then next thing you know, some military wife is saying, "My husband fights for your freedom..." blah, blah, blah....

I am sure a lot of people will not like my opinion on this one, but I just don't see the need to throw that in people's faces.  99% of the time when people use it, it has nothing to do with the situation.  It isn't any different than people throwing the "race" card around.

There was a post in another group where someone was saying that a group of soldiers were acting inappropriately and cussing in a restaurant and were asked to leave.  They played the "hero" card.  I am sorry, but this is wrong.  Being a soldier or a military family member does not give you the right to be disrespectful or put you in a position that you are better than other people. 

Ugghh..sorry, it is a little peeve of mine and I needed to vent.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomNtheRes
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Oh- I agree ENTIRELY! In training we caused a bit of mischief and got kicked out of a place or two...and never attempted the hero card. Of course, that could have been the impending terror of our Sgts finding out....who knows lol. 

Haaa-and I use the race card! I'm half hispanic and qualify for more financial aid because of that for some reason....I don't really get why but I will take it :) Bash me if you like- I'm not turning down financial aid!

Join us! An active group for Mom's who are, or have been through, a deployment to support one another so we can stay Deployment Strong!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/DeploymentStrong

come home               in love

myfoursonsks
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Lol...I don't mind legitimate use of any "cards".  But when someone uses it for situations that it doesn't have anything to do with, that is annoying.  Like, "You forgot sour cream on my taco because I'm <insert oppressed group here>".....lol.  That is when it gets annoying.  Now, when they are legitimately discriminated against, that is a whole different story.

Quoting MomNtheRes:

Oh- I agree ENTIRELY! In training we caused a bit of mischief and got kicked out of a place or two...and never attempted the hero card. Of course, that could have been the impending terror of our Sgts finding out....who knows lol. 

Haaa-and I use the race card! I'm half hispanic and qualify for more financial aid because of that for some reason....I don't really get why but I will take it :) Bash me if you like- I'm not turning down financial aid!

rella8672
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:37 PM

I dislike that almost as much as I hate people assuming that because I am a military wife,I fall into a certain catagory and that I am"brainwashed."

NICK3LR3Y
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:39 PM

I totally agree. I used to work at the BX and we had retirees that would pull the "hero"card when we didn't have something they wanted or they weren't getting it at the price they want. Its ridiculous. That and military wives that would use their husbands rank to try and get prices they want. I mean their rank has nothing to do with them. They aren't in the military so it shouldn't get them special treatment. It just bugs.

SusanD
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:39 PM

I agree with you completely. I will go even further...something that irritates me is when someone expects something or anything based upon what their spouse does. This happens a lot in the military community. I don't care what your husband does. What do YOU do? If you want the "glory" or expect respect (or want to receive it) because of your military ties then you should go put on a uniform and serve. The same is true if someone is bragging because their spouse is a neurosurgeon. I'm sorry, but if you want the glory then YOU do the job. I don't understand it. Don't get me wrong I am all for someone being proud of their spouse and supporting their spouse, but there is something very different between support and glory seeking. At times I wonder if it is because that person feels as though they have nothing to be proud of that they have accomplished. I really could careless what someone's husband does for a living, be it military or the guy who sucks crap out of porta-potties. If you are a stay at home mom, be proud of it. If you are the guy who sucks crap out of porta-potties, be proud of it. Don't seek glory for someone else's job and accomplishments.

rella8672
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 1:05 AM

Quoting NICK3LR3Y:

I totally agree. I used to work at the BX and we had retirees that would pull the "hero"card when we didn't have something they wanted or they weren't getting it at the price they want. Its ridiculous. That and military wives that would use their husbands rank to try and get prices they want. I mean their rank has nothing to do with them. They aren't in the military so it shouldn't get them special treatment. It just bugs.

Oh that irritates the crap out of me.I see it a lot with the other senior enlisted wives and I hate it.I actually enjoy hanging with the younger guys wives.

rella8672
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Quoting SusanD:

I agree with you completely. I will go even further...something that irritates me is when someone expects something or anything based upon what their spouse does. This happens a lot in the military community. I don't care what your husband does. What do YOU do? If you want the "glory" or expect respect (or want to receive it) because of your military ties then you should go put on a uniform and serve. The same is true if someone is bragging because their spouse is a neurosurgeon. I'm sorry, but if you want the glory then YOU do the job. I don't understand it. Don't get me wrong I am all for someone being proud of their spouse and supporting their spouse, but there is something very different between support and glory seeking. At times I wonder if it is because that person feels as though they have nothing to be proud of that they have accomplished. I really could careless what someone's husband does for a living, be it military or the guy who sucks crap out of porta-potties. If you are a stay at home mom, be proud of it. If you are the guy who sucks crap out of porta-potties, be proud of it. Don't seek glory for someone else's job and accomplishments.

Exactly.It is one thing to be proud of what your husband does,but some people take it too far

dsptchmommy
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 1:11 AM

I agree completely! The one that drives me nuts is "My husband is in Iraq/Afghanistan fighting for YOUR right to say this or that". Um...NO YOUR DH ISN'T FIGHTING FOR THAT! That is REALLY irritating to me.

barnwell84
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 2:20 AM

All I'm going to say is that I agree with you.

KPMAMA
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 4:15 AM

I agree, but I must say that I have used it before, more so when someone is bashing the military, not just in a disagreement! I do find it super annoying though when women try and use their husbands rank, that pisses me off!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)