Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Drinking Age

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:27 PM
  • 44 Replies

Poll

Question: Should Active Duty Military Personnel be Allowed to Consume Alcohol on Base, Regardless of Age?

Options:

Yes

No

Only Beer/Wine ... No Hard Liquor

Only 3.2 Beer

Alcohol Should Be Prohibited On All Military Bases

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 104

View Results

I often hear many people saying that if someone is old enough to die for their country, they should be old enough to drink.

How do you feel about this?

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluesky51201
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Just because a person is in the military he shouldn't have the right to drink before 21.  It's the law for a reason.  It would start such a slippery slope, like we let that law go and then something else would come up.  And as bad as it sounds the younger ones seem to have a real problem with alcohol.  We've been to two bases where they had to "dry out" the dorms because they were causing so many problems and causing a lot of damage.

myfoursonsks
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:36 PM

The law that stated military installations had to adhere to the state legal drinking age was put into place fairly recently.  Before 1982, soldiers were able to drink on post regardless of state laws.

The law states that soldiers are able to drink if the base is within 100 miles of a border with a lower drinking age.  I don't know if that comes into play overseas or what.  But, I guess if a state lowered their legal drinking age somewhere, it could affect nearby bases.

Quoting bluesky51201:

Just because a person is in the military he shouldn't have the right to drink before 21.  It's the law for a reason.  It would start such a slippery slope, like we let that law go and then something else would come up.  And as bad as it sounds the younger ones seem to have a real problem with alcohol.  We've been to two bases where they had to "dry out" the dorms because they were causing so many problems and causing a lot of damage.

avegajenkins
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:37 PM

I also have heard this b4 ..But still i think when someone drinks too young it makes it that harder for them to drink responsibly

We Love OUR DADDY he is our HERO...ARMY WIFE & Mom of 3.. Missing our home..NYC

army

myfoursonsks
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM

I am actually kind of torn on this one myself.  I haven't even voted in my own poll yet because I can't make up my mind.

On one hand, I don't really want a bunch of young, irresponsible kids drinking on base and doing anything to endanger my family.  But, I truly feel if they are the type to do that, they are going to do it anyway despite laws.

On the other hand, if they are responsible enough to be handed a weapon and sent into combat and expected to defend their fellow soldiers, I think they should be considered responsible enough to drink.

You know, with the suicide rate among young soldiers being pretty high, maybe they are too young to be given these responsibilities in the first place.

I just don't know.  There are too many factors to consider.

serioussifL
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM

I say yes. Most of them are getting drunk anyways, might as well let them do it in a controlled setting.

I am a breastfeeding and formula feeding, pro-choice, vaccinating, Turbo Jamming,
disposable diaper using, cio sometimes, cat loving, dieting, married
and love my husband
Army wife and momwww.myspace.com/serioussifl  Check out my music!

avegajenkins
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Yea i feel like some young ones see this as a college exp. when they start and they act wild and drink anyway and I feel like for that those should they even be there??? ... it is a torn thing bc I know alcohol wont help the suicide rate of young soldiers 

myfoursonsks
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM

That is kind of what I was alluding to.  Maybe some of these soldiers are just to young to be handling ALL responsibilities and that is why the suicide rate is high.  Maybe the enlistment age should be higher, not the drinking age lower.  I know that will never happen though.

Quoting avegajenkins:

Yea i feel like some young ones see this as a college exp. when they start and they act wild and drink anyway and I feel like for that those should they even be there??? ... it is a torn thing bc I know alcohol wont help the suicide rate of young soldiers 

avegajenkins
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Yea some r not ready and it is alot of responsibility that is not for everyone

Quoting myfoursonsks:

That is kind of what I was alluding to.  Maybe some of these soldiers are just to young to be handling ALL responsibilities and that is why the suicide rate is high.  Maybe the enlistment age should be higher, not the drinking age lower.  I know that will never happen though.

Quoting avegajenkins:

marinewife0523
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:07 PM

I agree with your whole statement, but what I highlighted I just have to say, just because they are going to do it anyways, doesn't mean we should change the law to encourage their wrong behavior, ya know?  Imagine if we said, we'll they're going to do it anyways, might as well lower tthe age limit for them. I think that would stir up a lot of negative reactions from civilians, and military families. some of the Marines here are SO immature even at 23, 24, 25. They shouldn't be allowed to drink at all! lol. I voted no on your poll though, because I don't think it's fair to prohibit EVERYONE from drinking, but I don't think we should lower the age limit either.

Quoting myfoursonsks:

I am actually kind of torn on this one myself.  I haven't even voted in my own poll yet because I can't make up my mind.

On one hand, I don't really want a bunch of young, irresponsible kids drinking on base and doing anything to endanger my family.  But, I truly feel if they are the type to do that, they are going to do it anyway despite laws.

On the other hand, if they are responsible enough to be handed a weapon and sent into combat and expected to defend their fellow soldiers, I think they should be considered responsible enough to drink.

You know, with the suicide rate among young soldiers being pretty high, maybe they are too young to be given these responsibilities in the first place.

I just don't know.  There are too many factors to consider.

wruss
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:09 PM

I know that most of the time, there are TONS of underage people drinking here...heck, my  neighbors had about 5-10 guys over the other night, and they were all drinking...pretty sure NONE of them were 21...my husband is 19, and doesn't drink...and I'm 21, and I do drink every once in a while...but my husband doesn't like drinking...lol guess he's an odd ball in the army?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)