Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cosmetic Surgery

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM
  • 26 Replies

Has anyone had cosmetic surgery covered through the military?  I always here about these women getting breast augmentation, tummy tucks, and all that.  I am wondering if it is true, if they were able to establish that the procedures were "medically necessary", and how they went about the whole process.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunshine86912
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:03 PM

a friend of mine just got a breast reduction and the military paid for it! but that is easy to prove that it is medically nessessary! 

bluesky51201
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:23 PM

I've heard of it and it pisses me off.  I need to have my jaw broken and realigned.  It is not cosmetic, its starting to cause headaches and can cause other problems but the military won't pay for it and I don't have $12,000 laying around.  I've heard of women going to the doctor and saying that their small boobs are effecting their self esteem and getting augmentation.  Yet I have a legit medical need and can't get it taken care of.

myfoursonsks
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Really?  I need that procedure too and I am pretty sure the military is going to cover it.  They teach that procedure at the hospital on post where I live.  They jump at any major oral surgery that is not common.  I go in this month for my final approval now that they have all of my xrays and things.  I won't actually get it done for like 3-4 years though because I need braces before I get it done.  But, my plan of action depends directly on approval for this surgery.

Quoting bluesky51201:

I've heard of it and it pisses me off.  I need to have my jaw broken and realigned.  It is not cosmetic, its starting to cause headaches and can cause other problems but the military won't pay for it and I don't have $12,000 laying around.  I've heard of women going to the doctor and saying that their small boobs are effecting their self esteem and getting augmentation.  Yet I have a legit medical need and can't get it taken care of.

wruss
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:31 PM

I have a friend that has a BAD back problem, and had her breast reduction courtesy of the Army...I will probably try to get one done...I've had bad back problems since I was about 15...but, I'm waiting til I'm done having children...which she didn't...and is planning on having like 4 more kids...which can SCREW your new boobies up....

nukeswife08
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM

If I can't lose the weight I gained by Christmas of next year then I am going to go in and get a lap-band.  Two of my friends have gotten the lap-band put in and they look amazing and another one had the gastric bypass surgery and she looks amazing as well.  Each spouse is allow one elective surgery.

serioussifL
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:54 PM

I talked to my doctor about a breast reduction. Even though I obviously have too big of breasts for my body, have horrible back and neck pain, tension headaches, and dents in my shoulders from bra straps (all the symptoms you need to get approved for breast reduction), my doctor says that in the army you have to have a BMI of at least 30 to get it done.... which is stupid! Skinny chicks cant have horribly huge boobs?!? That would mean that I would need to gain weight until I would be around 175-180lbs to qualify for the surgery. Stupid.

I am a breastfeeding and formula feeding, pro-choice, vaccinating, Turbo Jamming,
disposable diaper using, cio sometimes, cat loving, dieting, married
and love my husband
Army wife and momwww.myspace.com/serioussifl  Check out my music!

abelsc
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:02 PM

I didn't know each spouse gets an elective surgery. I've never heard of that

This is directly off the tricare website about cosmetic surgery

Reconstructive Surgery

TRICARE covers cosmetic, reconstructive and plastic surgery to improve the physical appearance of a beneficiary only under the following circumstances:

• Correction of a birth defect
  • Restoration of a body form following an accidental injury
  • Revision of disfiguring and extensive scars resulting from neoplastic surgery (i.e., surgery that removes a tumor or cyst)
  • Reconstructive breast surgery following a medically necessary mastectomy
  • Reconstructive breast surgery due to a congenital anomaly (birth defect)
  • Penile implants and testicular prostheses for conditions resulting from organic origins or for organic impotency
  • Surgery to correct pectus excavatum
  • Liposuction when medically necessary
  • Panniculectomy (tummy tuck) performed in conjunction with an abdominal or pelvic surgery when medical review determines that the procedure significantly contributes to the safe and effective correction or improvement of bodily function.

To be covered, surgeries must be performed no later than December 31st of the year following the accidental injury or surgical trauma, except in the case of postmastectomy reconstructive breast surgery or cases involving children who may require a growth period.

TRICARE does not cover cosmetic, reconstructive or plastic surgery related to:

• Dental congenital anomalies
  • Elective correction of minor skin blemishes and marks
  • Breast augmentation
  • Face lifts
  • Reduction mammoplasties (breast reductions), except in the case of significant pain due to large breasts
  • Blepharoplasty (removal of excess skin of the eyelid)
  • Rhinoplasties (nose surgery)
  • Chemical peeling for the treatment of facial wrinkles or acne scars
  • Hair transplants
  • Electrolysis
  • Removal of tattoos
  • Liposuction for body contouring.

jmecherub22
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:29 PM

I have a friend who had breast augmentation at the military hospital. It did not cover the full cost she had to pay half...I wil have to find out more info from her

nukeswife08
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I don't know all I know is that 4 of my friends whom are all navy wifes had a weight loss surgery and Tricare covered it all. 

toriandgrace
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:26 PM

I had a girl tell me that because Madigan is a training facility they completely cover boob jobs, tummy tucks, and IVF. I told her I didn't think that was true, but she was convinced! I casually mentioned the IVF to my infertility doc, and it is not covered at all. It's $6,000 with a 2 year waiting list.

I know there are weight loss surgeries that are covered, and breast reductions, but other than that they won't cover cosmetic surgeries.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)