Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jobs outside your home?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:59 PM
  • 14 Replies

How many ladies work outside the home & what do you do?  When your hubby is or has been deployed, does your employer let you take the full 2 weeks off that he's home?

I am an Escrow Officer at a title company.  When you close on your house, I'm the one that you go to to sign your documents.  Since, I've been here, my hubby hasn't been deployed, but at my previous job, both times, I was able to take the full 2 weeks off for R & R.

Just curious!

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myfoursonsks
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I am not working right now, but I need to find a job.  Since hubby will be home for R&R soon, I have delayed looking.  I didn't want to get a job right before he got here and then have to work.

I will be looking for an accounting or internal audit position somewhere.

ABOmom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I am a video relay sign language interpreter. I schedule my own hours every month, about 2 months in advance. So, I am lucky in that I can make my own schedule around deployment dates, R&R time, and homecoming dates.

themacs4
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Wow!  That's a really neat profession!!  :)

Quoting ABOmom:

I am a video relay sign language interpreter. I schedule my own hours every month, about 2 months in advance. So, I am lucky in that I can make my own schedule around deployment dates, R&R time, and homecoming dates.

themacs4
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Good luck with your job search!!  I've always liked accounting type work!

Quoting myfoursonsks:

I am not working right now, but I need to find a job.  Since hubby will be home for R&R soon, I have delayed looking.  I didn't want to get a job right before he got here and then have to work.

I will be looking for an accounting or internal audit position somewhere.

Seans_mommy123
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I work as a special education aide at one of the schools on the base we're stationed at. They are really understanding of needing to take time off because of a sick child or whatever is needed. My DH hasn't deployed since we've been here and won't since we're PCSing in the spring. He doesn't get  R&R since he only does 7 month deployments.

ABOmom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Yes, I LOVE my job and am very lucky. My momma always told me to find something I love, then find a way to make money doing it. Good advice :) It has led me to a very happy life with a career I absolutely love.

Quoting themacs4:

Wow!  That's a really neat profession!!  :)

Quoting ABOmom:

themacs4
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:11 PM

My mom taught Special Ed for 20+ years.  About 10 years ago, she got her Elementary Education cert and is now a Kindergarden teacher. 

It's nice when you have an understanding employer!!

Quoting Seans_mommy123:

I work as a special education aide at one of the schools on the base we're stationed at. They are really understanding of needing to take time off because of a sick child or whatever is needed. My DH hasn't deployed since we've been here and won't since we're PCSing in the spring. He doesn't get  R&R since he only does 7 month deployments.

toriandgrace
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:35 PM

I sub! That way I can just not work on days that I don't want to. I am taking a break from subbing for the rest of this school year though, because I have field work for my masters and can't get in enough hours to cover daycare.

I also don't have to worry about R&R because hubby's on subs, so he's out for 3-4 months, in for 3-4 and out again for another 3-4.

amberdy
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 8:35 AM

I've thought about getting a job, but I just can't with my husband's crazy schedule and four kids in sports and activities. 

tangleballlover
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 8:56 AM

I'm a SAHM doing online school. I eventually hope to be an RN though.

Here's a good little bump for you :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)