Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weatherproofing Post Housing

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:34 PM
  • 14 Replies

Has anyone done anything to help weatherproof on post housing?  What did you do?

Our place is always freezing and we are going over every month on our utilities.  I need to figure something out. 

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wruss
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:49 PM

no idea...do they make you guys pay the difference? we have our heater/AC set on like 68 degrees year round...that's what our housing "recommends" the front of the house and kitchen are always cold...bedrooms are always warm...

bluesky51201
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:50 PM

The only thing I can think of is weather strips for the doors and heavy plastic on the windows.  We're in South Dakota and I've already told DH that I hope to God this is our last winter in this house.  The heater works fine but it's so drafty I'm always cold.  We've closed the storm windows and everything.  It doesn't help that the house is split level, so our bed room is so cold we had to get a heater fan.  The boys rooms across the hall are fine.

sunshine86912
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:51 PM

you can put towels rolled up in front of the doors leading to outside..if drafts are getting in from there..and if you wanna get reallll ghetto you can put heavy duty plastic over your windows...in my parents house we did blankets over the windows to help hold the heat in 

Renee02
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:54 PM

That is 1 of the reasons why my family and MANY others moved off base because they built the houses badly..We are at Bukcley AFB in CO..Our bills were like $300-500 because it wouldn't keep the heat in..And now we are renting a house which has a very cold room which go figire is our living room/play room..I tried buying a oil filled radiater and didnt work..I tried the window kids and didnt work..Then my mom mailed me a lil fan heater called Holmes I think it is from Walgreens for $30 and omg it worked!! Go figure! lol..Literally this room was 55 degrees in CO so very cold..I highly suggest you go to Walgreens and buy this fan..This fan is very popular..I am very happy and same with my kids who are 4yrs old and 1yrs old..They were ice along with myself..And this fan heater brought the temp up buy like 10 degrees!

myfoursonsks
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Yes, if we go over the "average" for our floorplan, we have to pay the difference.  I am putting out over $50 on our utilities.  That means we are using more than most families.  So, we need to figure out how to get it down. 

Our outer walls, front and back of the house, are lined with windows from one end to the other.  It is no wonder so much cold air gets in. 

I don't have great pics, but you can kind of see how the windows are huge.

Quoting wruss:

no idea...do they make you guys pay the difference? we have our heater/AC set on like 68 degrees year round...that's what our housing "recommends" the front of the house and kitchen are always cold...bedrooms are always warm...

bluesky51201
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:03 PM

I'm hoping we're going to be off soon.  I've told my DH this is ridiculous.  We've been in the negatives for windchill for over a week now and when the wind kicks you can feel the drafts.  Thankfully we don't have to pay anything for utilities.

Quoting Renee02:

That is 1 of the reasons why my family and MANY others moved off base because they built the houses badly..We are at Bukcley AFB in CO..Our bills were like $300-500 because it wouldn't keep the heat in..And now we are renting a house which has a very cold room which go figire is our living room/play room..I tried buying a oil filled radiater and didnt work..I tried the window kids and didnt work..Then my mom mailed me a lil fan heater called Holmes I think it is from Walgreens for $30 and omg it worked!! Go figure! lol..Literally this room was 55 degrees in CO so very cold..I highly suggest you go to Walgreens and buy this fan..This fan is very popular..I am very happy and same with my kids who are 4yrs old and 1yrs old..They were ice along with myself..And this fan heater brought the temp up buy like 10 degrees!

Renee02
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:34 PM

We and everyone else moved off also because the yare crooks..They took ALL the BAH and we had to pay our own eletricity..So we said screw it and moved off..Eve ntho we have to pay ALL the utilities now but it is worth it because we had on base anyways because of the snotty people lol..

Quoting bluesky51201:

I'm hoping we're going to be off soon.  I've told my DH this is ridiculous.  We've been in the negatives for windchill for over a week now and when the wind kicks you can feel the drafts.  Thankfully we don't have to pay anything for utilities.

Quoting Renee02:

BabyHicks
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Try putting down area rugs where there is tile so that the floors are no so cold. Get the eclipse curtains that keep the cold out and heat in plus block light. We have the curtains in our living room and they help out a lot. Another idea to save energy is to do all of your laundry on one day so that the drier does not have to use as much energy.

ShellyBlueStars
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:36 PM

We're in the same boat.  I try to keep the temp at 68 during the day and we try to keep the temp at 72 at night.  I'm still paying extra.  It's going to be even worse when DH comes home because he's so cold-blooded and insists that lights have to be on during the evenings.  We rarely turn on more than one lamp in the living room and have the computer and TV on sporadically during the day.  Our bedroom is the coldest in the house.  I have curtains on one window but need to find some that match for the other.  We're combatting the cold with blankets while we watch TV at night and during the day.  I try to keep rugs on the bathroom floors cause that's where a lot of cold comes sneaking in.  I'm thinking about getting the heavy plastic to put on the windows.  I really don't care what the housing people say!  Whenever we're below the amount, they don't take the difference and save it for when we're over.  Personally, I think it's a major money grab!  But I like the security we have.  And we only have one more year, possibly, before he transfers somewhere else.  And I like the fact that it's a house, not an apartment that we have to share our ceiling and our floor with other families.  I'm old enough to not enjoy little feet pattering across my ceiling and I had to deal with a family who lived downstairs of us at the last apartment that would wake us up at 3 am on weekends, fighting!  My spouse might be off on the weekends, but I usually end up working weekends.  So I still need my sleep! :)

butterflyblu
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:34 PM

We have issues with our on-post house holding heat.  We had the same issue at our last on-post house.  They don't insulated them very well.  So far we've been just at the baseline for our utility allowance.  The main living area stays warm but the bedrooms are freezing, particularly the master.  Sometimes I can't even sleep in there since I have a newborn so I sleep in the living room.  We had maintenance come and look at it and they claim there is nothing wrong with our heat despite the fact our master bedroom is always 10 degrees colder than the rest of the house.  We have our thermostat set at 72 and our bedroom never gets above 60 degrees.  Yet the bathroom is warm as long as the door stays closed.  It's ridiculous.  I think they either need to 1) properly insulate the homes or 2) not make you pay the difference if you go over your utility allowance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)