Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When to reenlist???

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:20 PM
  • 9 Replies

My husband has been in the Navy for almost 2 years now.  And the time has come for his early reenlistment.  Now the issue is he is doing to be deploying around his two year mark.  So should we wait until he is in the tax free zone so that he can get all of his reenlistment bonus which would be 65000.  Or do we do it now.  Last here a bunch of people didn't even get their reenlistment bonus because, the navy ran out of money.  So should we do it know while the navy has money or what until he is in a tax free zone.  We just have no idea what to do.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
motherhood77
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Tax free zone 100% But that's just my opinion :) 

serioussifL
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Holy crap! how are you getting so much??? DH didnt get nearly 5% of what you will be getting. I suggest the tax free zone though.

I am a breastfeeding and formula feeding, pro-choice, vaccinating, Turbo Jamming,
disposable diaper using, cio sometimes, cat loving, dieting, married
and love my husband
Army wife and momwww.myspace.com/serioussifl  Check out my music!

nukeswife08
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Quoting serioussifL:

Holy crap! how are you getting so much??? DH didnt get nearly 5% of what you will be getting. I suggest the tax free zone though.

My husband is a nuke and nukes advance quickly and their bonus are more.  I heard that his bonus did go down to 65000 but if it didn't go down he could get 90000.

nemiller
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:04 PM

i'd vote for waiting until he's in the tax-free zone, personally.  my husband reenlisted in the tax-free zone and i about had a heart attack when his bonus hit.  i didn't touch that money for months, because i was afraid they'd take it back, lol.

CorgiMomma
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:11 PM

If his deployment is more than a couple of months off I think I would go for it now.  My husband completely missed out on his reenlistment bonus once because of just a month difference.  It should have been around 40k, but the next month they dropped it all the way to nothing.  VERY frustrating.  We could have really used that money, as I'm sure all of us could!  What's the saying.... "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."  Take the bonus now and be grateful that he's in a career field who's bonus hasn't been cancelled already. 

toriandgrace
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:25 PM

I personally would wait. By the time he deploys it may go back up and even if it doesn't it's not like he can't reup latter. Plus they take about 25% for taxes, that's alot.

amberdy
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 7:55 AM

Under those circumstances, I would wait.  The most my husband has ever gotten for a reenlistment was $2000, the Army and his job suck, LOL.

DChristoff
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 8:17 AM

I would probably wait, but we have never gotten a re-enlistment bonus from the miltary :-(...But a tax free bonus sure sounds good to me!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)