Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BEING INDUCED EARLY?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:53 PM
  • 103 Replies

has anyone ever heard of someone getting induced around 36 weeks for the DH or SO could be there because he's getting deployed?

i was thinking talking to my doctor about it, only because my husband deploys two and a half weeks before i'm due. i wasn't going to do it if there is any harm to the baby.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bubbasmom0917
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

i hear about it all day. you really should just talk to your doctor and the 2 of you decide what is best. you are not going to good advice from here!!!

myfoursonsks
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

I am against elective induction, but I hope everything works out the way you want it to.

sunshine86912
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM

i mean if your dr is fine with it..and so are you and your SO..then why not?  I was induced at 38 weeks with my first for medical reasons...with my 2nd i was induced cuz she was stubborn lol 40 weeks and 2 days 

jkmeier8909
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:02 PM

honestly it wasn't about being selfish because if i wanted to be selfish i would make them do it so he could be there. i'm not going to do it there are any risks to the baby. however thank you to the women that gave advice and didn't just feel like putting someone else down for seeing what other people thought about something.

Quoting .Misha.:

I don't think I have read anything so selfish ever.

asaffell
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:05 PM

36 weeks is really early, mama, and could end baby up in the NICU, even if everything looks ok. Late prematurity still has risks - those last few weeks are vital for development.

The gestational age that doctors will induce is really up to them, but I don't know of any that will induce before 38 or 39 weeks without medical indication.

ETA: I'm also against elective induction, honestly, even with being in the military. It just adds risks for you and baby.

Technology has turned the fetus into a patient, reducing the mother to being the 'maternal environment' and preventing attachment until after the ultrasound has shown the fetus to be 'normal.'

-Jennifer Hall

BREASTFEEDING IS NOT ADULT NATURED! 

CaeliMommyUSMC
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM

I was told by my doctor that for legal reasons they will not induce before 39 weeks unless medically necessary.  With my first I was induced at 37 weeks because my water had ruptured.

jkmeier8909
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:10 PM

excuse me but you obviously didn't read all i wrote because did i not say that i wasn't for sure that i was going to do or if the doctor i will have will even do it. i was just seeing what people thought about it. and i have plenty of time to decide what to do. and if i decide to induce it doesn't really give you the right to put me down.

Quoting .Misha.:

Induce your baby at 36 weeks and you think this is okay?

Educate yourself. Instead of caring about what other people think, read the research. It's dangerous, selfish, and stupid.

Quoting jkmeier8909:

honestly it wasn't about being selfish because if i wanted to be selfish i would make them do it so he could be there. i'm not going to do it there are any risks to the baby. however thank you to the women that gave advice and didn't just feel like putting someone else down for seeing what other people thought about something.

Quoting .Misha.:

I don't think I have read anything so selfish ever.

Navymama
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I agree... I think to do it would be selfish and asaffell is giving you many reasons why it's not a good idea.

Quoting asaffell:

36 weeks is really early, mama, and could end baby up in the NICU, even if everything looks ok. Late prematurity still has risks - those last few weeks are vital for development.

The gestational age that doctors will induce is really up to them, but I don't know of any that will induce before 38 or 39 weeks without medical indication.

ETA: I'm also against elective induction, honestly, even with being in the military. It just adds risks for you and baby.

prego7386
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:13 PM

your going to a military doc..chances are they wont do it so just hang that idea up. besides ther  is no guarantee you are really at 36 weeks anyways...i personally think it would be really really sad if you induced that baby so that it could come when daddy go there only for it to end up in the NICU with tubes because its lungs weren'tfully developed. they told me here that they woudlnt even consider it until i was at 40 weeks and that was brought up by the doc not me.

asaffell
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is that for first-time moms, inductions end up in c-sections between 40-50% of the time. The reasearch shows that for first-time moms your risk of cesarean from induction is up to 250% higher than that of a mom who has had a vaginal birth previously.

So by inducing, you're increasing your risk of baby in the NICU and of spending the last few weeks with your husband recovering from major abdominal surgery.

You really have to weigh these things out, EVEN if you induce at 40 weeks instead of 36 weeks.

Technology has turned the fetus into a patient, reducing the mother to being the 'maternal environment' and preventing attachment until after the ultrasound has shown the fetus to be 'normal.'

-Jennifer Hall

BREASTFEEDING IS NOT ADULT NATURED! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)