• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about taxes

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:23 PM
  • 10 Replies

So DH deployed last week, when it comes time to file taxes how is this going to change things? I know his pay is tax free while gone but at what date would that start the day he arrived or left? And should it still be easy for me to file the taxes or should i get it done on post?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommywife06
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:30 PM

It wont kick in until next payday. So you should be good to file and all you need is POA stating you can file taxes. I suggest getting a specific POA for filing taxes. He can do that over there

butterflyblu
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Once his deployment pay kicks in, then the tax free exemption will come into play.  You actually have up until 6 months after he returns to file your taxes for that year he is gone.  But if you're like me, I want our money ASAP so I always file without my DH.  He just gets me a specific POA for filing taxes.  I used H&R Block Taxcut through MilitaryOneSource.com to file or you can use the on-post tax facility. 

tangleballlover
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:22 AM

I just use Turbotax online and it pretty much walks me through everything.

JamiDesigns
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 11:20 AM

The people on post will be able to figure everything out for you. His combat zone pay takes place once "boots on ground."

**The above graphic is copyright of JamiDesigns! **

youngmomma259
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 11:22 AM

If I have a POA for everything, then could that count to file the taxes?

Quoting butterflyblu:

Once his deployment pay kicks in, then the tax free exemption will come into play.  You actually have up until 6 months after he returns to file your taxes for that year he is gone.  But if you're like me, I want our money ASAP so I always file without my DH.  He just gets me a specific POA for filing taxes.  I used H&R Block Taxcut through MilitaryOneSource.com to file or you can use the on-post tax facility. 

Vaxing, co-sleeping, bible believing, military wife, pro-life, anti-gay marriage, formula using, high school graduate, college student on my way to being a nurse practitioner, 18 years old, loving kind of momma of a2 year old princess!

mommywife06
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:30 PM

As long as it states you can file taxes

Quoting youngmomma259:

Quoting butterflyblu:

bebemama10
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Quoting momoftatertots:

So DH deployed last week, when it comes time to file taxes how is this going to change things? I know his pay is tax free while gone but at what date would that start the day he arrived or left? And should it still be easy for me to file the taxes or should i get it done on post?

The day he landed in Kuwait it became tax free.  It is still plenty easy to file taxes as you just record his "taxxable income", in effect it makes it look like you made next to nothing (because so much is not  taxable- or at least was for us since he was gone Sept 07 to Dec 08).  We had zero kids and got like 10,000 back :)  It was nice.  Paid off his student loans and now we just have mine & a truck payment (well and a mortgage, but because thats so long I try not to count it lol).

CafeMom Tickers

Brat111507
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 1:28 PM

No- you need a POA specific for filing taxes. He can get it done in theater and mail it to you. It will need to be drawn up and notarized.

Quoting youngmomma259:

Quoting butterflyblu:

Brat111507
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Ok I am going to ask a really stupid question. You said zero kids and you got that much back- HOW? We got like 900 back and it totally sucked ass. I keep hearing people make money at tax time with out kids and we sure as hell didnt. I wonder if our taxes were done right or what the deal is- and they were filed with H&R. _ he was gone 18 freaking months! I just dont get it.

Quoting bebemama10:

Quoting momoftatertots:

The day he landed in Kuwait it became tax free.  It is still plenty easy to file taxes as you just record his "taxxable income", in effect it makes it look like you made next to nothing (because so much is not  taxable- or at least was for us since he was gone Sept 07 to Dec 08).  We had zero kids and got like 10,000 back :)  It was nice.  Paid off his student loans and now we just have mine & a truck payment (well and a mortgage, but because thats so long I try not to count it lol).

youngmomma259
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Wow!!! Ha, my husband has been gone 6 weeks. Ours will be nothing like this!

Quoting Brat111507:

Ok I am going to ask a really stupid question. You said zero kids and you got that much back- HOW? We got like 900 back and it totally sucked ass. I keep hearing people make money at tax time with out kids and we sure as hell didnt. I wonder if our taxes were done right or what the deal is- and they were filed with H&R. _ he was gone 18 freaking months! I just dont get it.

Quoting bebemama10:

Quoting momoftatertots:

Vaxing, co-sleeping, bible believing, military wife, pro-life, anti-gay marriage, formula using, high school graduate, college student on my way to being a nurse practitioner, 18 years old, loving kind of momma of a2 year old princess!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)