Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im a new military mom....

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:51 PM
  • 7 Replies

I will be going with my husband to his active station in florida in february i was just wondering how did your first experience at a base go? was everyone nice? was it different? did you have any trouble doing things or gettin accustome to the new life??? im just very curious...

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
myfoursonsks
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:48 PM

It can be hard making new friends.  Many military wives seem very skeptical about getting to know people.  A lot of them have been burned too many times one way or another.  But, CM will help you meet people when you get to where you are going.  You can even join a group for that base before you get there or find people there in this group.

Welcome!

jkmeier8909
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:54 PM

i found it to be really overwhelming at times because i was new to everything, but every one for the most part was really nice and if i had question they were willing to answer them. i did find it difficult to find friends out here. but i honestly didn't really put myself out there that much, which is my bad, but the girls that i do know are my husband's friend's wives and they are all just really immature about alot of things and i have alot going on and didn't really want to deal with that so i don't talk to them that much.

i don't live on base but i used to go on base quite often to either go shopping or run something to my husband that he forgot or to pick him up or what not. it is definitely a differnt kind of life that your probably used to, i know it was for me for sure.

CafeMom Tickers
BrAiSi
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Each service has some sort of Family Readiness Group sort of thing (the name of it in the Army), and this group is for the spouses of soldiers to get together and get to know each other while doing fundraisers to raise money, putting together social functions, as well as getting proper information through the correct channels while your hubby is deployed. When your husband gets to his unit, they will ask him if you want to be contacted at all by any spouses to join this group, or just to receive info. If he is already there now, than once you are there have him ask his NCO who to give your information to so you can be included in activities. As well, different posts/bases have a new-comer orientation once or twice a month, and this will give you info. about what things you can do on and off of base, and how to get around, etc. Good luck to you. You are sure to meet wives in your husbands unit at some point through official or social gatherings. Expect some to be very accomodating and willing to teach and show you things, and some to be very stand-offish or even snobby, but people are like that wherever you are. It takes awhile to get used to a military base/post, but it can be very rewarding to live on one. Good luck! I hope I helped give you some options.

So happy and proud to be married to my soldier Bryan, I love you forever baby.

Proud mommy to a two year old named Siri & soon to be a mommy again in July

A.M.smomma
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 1:38 AM

Welcome!  Adjusting to Army life is different for everybody.  My bff is a military wife and she LOVES it.  She makes friends easy everywhere she goes.  Another friend of mine has been as supportive as possible, but is begging her DH not to re-enlist.  I'm in the Army and so's my SO.  I'm getting out in April, but moving in with him.  I love army life as well, but it's different being the soldier than it is being the solders wife/gf, and I never really thought about having to adjust to being the Army gf, so I'll be starting that journey soon as well.

One thing I never really thought about before I joined, was how many times you have to say good-bye.  You say good-bye to your family, you make friends and then they/their spouses PCS, you say good-bye to your SO.  But otoh, you make friends that you have a special bond with.  You'll meet women that you have something in common with that other people don't understand.  Choosing a military carreer (or supporting one) is choosing an entire lifestyle, but I love it and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

Sara.Worthey
by Gold Member on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Take advantage of the New parent services. They can help you find playgroups for your daughter and tell you about services in the area that you can take advantage of. It helps you to meet people that are similar to you and have some of the same interests as you.

Wife to Army Spc Chris.(12-17-07)

Stay at home mommy to Riley (7-21-08)

Hope to be a second time mommy in the near future!

bebemama10
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 1:23 PM

The first base I lived at was Wiesbaden, Germany though I had experience with Ft Wood beforehand because my husband had OBC there after college.  Because it was a foreign country it took a little more to get a hang of things but I loved it.  Now that we're in the states I am not really into the whole on-base thing as we have lived off post and FRGs are not nearly as comforting in the states (that I find) than they are overseas.  I guess that makes sense.. overseas you're super far from family and we went through a deployment there, but I also find it harder make friends stateside because so many wives work & put their kids in daycare. 

I worked part time in Germany but am just finishing up school, on bedrest, and planning on being a SAHM mom once March rolls around.  Most my friends arne't army wives here, but that is just because the base (Camp Shelby MS) is more of a training camp than a base and tiny.  I think our batallion has 8 AD soldiers (there are tons of National Guard around here) and 7 wives that live here but I've only met 2. 

CafeMom Tickers

amberdy
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 5:27 PM

I usually stay as far away from it all as possible, so I'm not the best person to ask.  We have always lived off post, so it was kind of the same as before he went in.  The hardest thing for me was getting used to using the Army hospital for our medical needs.  This is the first time that I have actually gotten involved in the FRG and things like that.  Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)