Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O...Stupid things people say...

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:44 AM
  • 27 Replies

The post about the girl getting punched made me wonder....

As a military wife (and mother I'm sure) people say dumb stuff to you on occasion. What's been your fave? What statement  has made you wonder at the intelligence level of certain people?

navy     Lovin my Sailor!!!

Are you a Christian? Do you love to debate and learn from other Christians? Visit us at Round & Round

Military Moms
Join us on The Military Moms Group - -Military Moms Group Mod

Want to connect with other Navy wives? Check us out! ~ Navy Wives

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bramamber
by Amber on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:51 AM

When I tell people (civilians) my husband is in the AF. They always ask what does he fly? I have to explain there are other jobs in the AF bedsides pilot jobs.

AMBER

Join us on

The Military Moms

abbynzachsmommy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Lets see....

I had a girl at my parents church come in and start whining about her DH being gone for "a whole week" and how she didn't know what she was going to do, and on and on....at the time, I was 6 months pregnant and my husband had been gone for 2 months.....then she looks at me and says "Oh now I TOTOALLY understand how you feel"....

Same girl... My husband was deployed for the first time, and I was walking out of the church. I stopped to talk to a girl and this other one just happened to be sitting there. She looks at me and goes "Dont you just HATE it?".this is the ensuing convo

me ~ "hate what?"

Her~ "why, The military"

me~ Why would I hate the military? They put a roof over our head and food on our table?

her~ But I know your marriage has to be awful, I mean he's never home. I know I could never deal with all that

me~ Well I guess God just made certain people stronger than others...and I happen to be one of them...

At that point she really didnt have much else to say.

I was working at a car dealership as a cashier for the service dept. There was a couple ladies in line and they started talking about another women they knew. Evidently the girl's son had joined the military. One of the women proceeded to go on and on about how she was glad her son was smarter than that, and how it doesn't take much intelligence to go into the military. How, she was glad her son was raised better than that and that this other boy would never make much of himself. And she didn't understand why anyone would want to do something as stupid as joining. Keep in mind, I have a necklace that says "Navy Wife" on it...I always wear it when he's gone.

So this woman gets up to the counter...looks at me, looks down and notices my necklace. Her look of shock was hilarious. I just looked her in the eyes and said "you're welcome".  She was so embarrassed she wouldn't look straight at me the entire time I was processing her ticket.

ETA...

I can't believe I forgot this one...its my personal fave.

When I tell people my husband is in the Navy i always get "well at least he's on a ship and not doing anything dangerous" or "; I know alot of guys would love to go on a cruise for their deployments".

Ummm...my husband works on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. He hangs off the back of a jet, 4 stories above the water with no safety harness to get the things fixed.....so yeah, his job does happen to be dangerous. Oh and they aren't sitting around on the flight deck drinking mai tais and listening to ukulele music....they are working 16 hour days, eating food that sucks, running drills when they are supposed ot be sleeping, sleeping on a shelf...I don't believe that classifies as a vacation....No he's not getting shot at, but that doesnt mean he isn't working hard and his job isnt dangerous.

navy     Lovin my Sailor!!!

Are you a Christian? Do you love to debate and learn from other Christians? Visit us at Round & Round

Military Moms
Join us on The Military Moms Group - -Military Moms Group Mod

Want to connect with other Navy wives? Check us out! ~ Navy Wives

stretchswife
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:16 AM

My favorite, are family members that should know better by now, asking "Is he done after this?" when he comes home from a deployment.  Nope, not done, he is a lifer.....and I am proud of him.

I have, however , Never wanted to beat someone else's child as much as I did on the first deploymen  my DD was 7 and some idiotic child on her school bus was telling her that her daddy was going to get shot by the bad guys and that he was going to die. I was so ready to go find said child and said child's parents and beat them all. My poor baby was so upset. 

But to offset that, another child at her daycare, made his grandpa  buy my daughter and magnet that says "Keep My Daddy Safe" because he knew how much she missed her daddy.  I have never been much of a 'hugger"but as soon as his grandpa came to pick him up I squeezed the life out of that man, it meant so much. 

We take the bad with the good, and we are proud to be a military family.

PhilsBabyMama
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:56 AM

My cousin said she'd never want her kids to join the Army.  That's fine, I don't really want mine to either, but then she said "I'm just going to tell them that the military is stupid." I was like "Uhhh, my husband is in the Army, remember?"  I don't think she realized that was offensive until after she said it.  Derr...

toriandgrace
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:14 PM

While I was home visiting family over the holidays, my friend came over for a bit. She spent 90% of the time we were together texting her boyfriend (of three weeks) and telling me that the separation (a week) was so much harder than they thought it would be. At that point I hadn't seen my husband in two and a half months, hadn't spoken to him in a month and a half and I hadn't received an email in two and a half weeks.. I jokingly told her I was going to kick her if she didn't shut her mouth, but she didn't get it.

That's about it though. Everyone else I spend time with tends to be very considerate. While discussing deployments with my friend who's hubby is on fast attacks (6 month+ deployments), I was saying I shouldn't complain because my hubby only deploys for 3-4 months at a time (more often though). I loved her response, she said it doesn't really matter the length, when they're not here you miss them the same, it's the same pain. I really liked that, because I have had wives from other branches put down what Navy wives go through because the deployments are broken up.

kaker104
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:17 PM

After telling somone hubby is AF they asked, "Wow, atleast he's home a lot and never in danger." Yeah. So, dh is apparently home a lot since he's home only have the time due to being an FCC and either TDY or deployed. Oh, and the fact that right now he's bringing home a plane from Iraq that is going straight to the bone yard. Very safe. Especially over the Atlantic.

And this one ticks me off to no end. "Wow, you're military? You must be banking." 

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Most of mine have been by family. I am the first mil wife since my grandmother, so they are not used to it. These are my faves:

First deployment, a week after he left:

S: "Do you miss him?"

Me: "Nope. Not at all. In fact, I have a party planned next weekend if you wanna come"

A month after:

J: "Why did you let him join? That was really stupid!"

Me: "Because I was afraid there was going to be a draft and they would choose YOU to defend the country. That's just scary."

And at every single holiday he missed:

B: "This must be so hard on you and Lucy. I don't know how you do it. There is no way I would let my husband choose a career over us."

Me: "Oh, I don't mind. I don't really like him that much anyway."

This time, I guess they figured out to back off with some of the comments. I only have one aunt that makes comments. Her husband is working in Cali (she is in Ga), but they still see each other every month. Anytime I mention something on FB about my husband being gone her response is "I SO know how you feel!"

Her daughter responded one time: "Mom, he's in Cali sleeping in a hotel and you just got off the phone with him for the 15th time today. You SO don't know how she feels." LOL!!

Strangers have made a lot of comments. Some rude, but most said "Thank You". The rudest was a woman that said my husband was a killer and that I should be smart and keep my daughter away from him because they rape babies over there so he would rape her when he got back. I suggested she check out one of the local mental facilities, but I doubt she took my advice ;)

lilklink83
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:45 PM

OMG I can't believe that women said that.  I would have have beat the shit out of her on the spot for saying something so horrible.

Quoting usmclife58:

Most of mine have been by family. I am the first mil wife since my grandmother, so they are not used to it. These are my faves:

First deployment, a week after he left:

S: "Do you miss him?"

Me: "Nope. Not at all. In fact, I have a party planned next weekend if you wanna come"

A month after:

J: "Why did you let him join? That was really stupid!"

Me: "Because I was afraid there was going to be a draft and they would choose YOU to defend the country. That's just scary."

And at every single holiday he missed:

B: "This must be so hard on you and Lucy. I don't know how you do it. There is no way I would let my husband choose a career over us."

Me: "Oh, I don't mind. I don't really like him that much anyway."

This time, I guess they figured out to back off with some of the comments. I only have one aunt that makes comments. Her husband is working in Cali (she is in Ga), but they still see each other every month. Anytime I mention something on FB about my husband being gone her response is "I SO know how you feel!"

Her daughter responded one time: "Mom, he's in Cali sleeping in a hotel and you just got off the phone with him for the 15th time today. You SO don't know how she feels." LOL!!

Strangers have made a lot of comments. Some rude, but most said "Thank You". The rudest was a woman that said my husband was a killer and that I should be smart and keep my daughter away from him because they rape babies over there so he would rape her when he got back. I suggested she check out one of the local mental facilities, but I doubt she took my advice ;)

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Eh, I felt bad for her ignorance. Plus, I had my daughter with me. I was not sure I could run from mall security as fast carrying her, lol!!

Quoting lilklink83:

OMG I can't believe that women said that.  I would have have beat the shit out of her on the spot for saying something so horrible.

Quoting usmclife58:

Sissy_Girl
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM

My hubby is Army and has been deployed for severle months.  Between the 2 of us we have 6 kids.  3 mine 1 his and 2 ours. 

The comments I get the most are

"Oh I feel sorry for you"

"You have your hands full"

"Is he done after this"

"Do you hear from him at all"

"Is it hard"

After he had been through a months worth of training before deployment he got a weekend leave.  We met at my brothers house in TN and the whole time he was there my sister in law kept talking about how my brother had been offered a $55,000 a year job, but she would not let him take it because he would be away from home for 5 weeks at a time and home for 5 weeks and she couldn't deal with being away from him for that long.  And that was just way too long. I finally told her to try a year and then she would not complain about 5 weeks. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)