Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tricare & Optomology

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:45 PM
  • 9 Replies

So here is the situation.

My left eye is visably swollen. You can touch it and then touch my right eye and see that its badly swollen. Its really my eye nothing else. Not the area around it anything. Anyway along the eye lash line it itches like hell. There is a spot on the top of my eye lid that hurts each time I touch it. My eye is bothering the hell out of me. A few nights ago I was in my room and it was dark in my room. Well out of my left eye it looked like I was wearing sunglasses in the dark. My left eye was completly blacked out. I could see out of my eye but it was VERY dark. Today I was a driving and my vision looked like I was dizzy but I wasn't dizzy. It kinda looked like it would if your eyes were watering up before you start crying but I wasn't crying or teary eyed. (Yes I wear contacts) If anyone knows what this could be let me know PLEASE!

So my question is I know tricare covers one free eye exam per year but this isn't really an eye exam issue. If I make an appointment with my PCM will they be able to help me or will the refer me to an optomologist? If they do then it won't cost me anything right?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JamieLeigh02
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Your PCM will refer you and it won't cost you anything.

fairymom2316
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Quoting JamieLeigh02:

Your PCM will refer you and it won't cost you anything.

This.

bubbasmom0917
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 9:31 AM

do u go on base for your eye exams? it is free on base and if not just call and let them know what is going on. they will refer you out with no problems.

mommyofderek
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 2:38 PM

We aren't allowed to do that here. We aren't allow to see the dentist on base either.

Quoting bubbasmom0917:

do u go on base for your eye exams? it is free on base and if not just call and let them know what is going on. they will refer you out with no problems.

cadesmom25
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 12:19 PM

go to your pcm, if they can't help they will refer you and it won't cost. Sounds like a stye that got infected possibly, or maybe even a bad spider bite. good luck!

ArmyWifeNMomOf2
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 12:26 PM

If you get a referal from your pcm it shouldn't cost you anything.

JMcCarty
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 12:30 PM

You said you had a little spot on your eye, correct? If it's white, it's most likely a stye, which can get infected. Go see your doctor, and keep ALL makeup away from your eyes until it is fully clear. If you can, wear glasses until it's cleared up to. You don't want anything in or near your eye.

Jessica McCarty 
Your green cleaning expert!
greencleanshop.etsy.com

marinesWe love you PFC Capps. Come home soon.

Amelia0603
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 2:02 PM

hmmm.. I've had that issue (the darkening) when it's time to change my contacts before. I only notice it in the dark where one area is darker than the others. .. I've had this happen a lot when I was younger.. and no one ever said anythign about it.   I've not had the eye swelling with out having had a stye or pink eye.. but if it's pink eye then you would be having some type of fluid come form your eye... either white/greenish or clear/white.. it would depend on if you had viral or bactieral pink eye. 

As far as the referall.. you need to be seen asap. Go to yur PCM and tell her what's going on.. if it's pink eye/stye type thing she/he will be able to treat it. If they think that it's something else you will get a referal to an off base Opthomothgist..whatever I can NOT spell today!  You get the idea.. :)    He/she will take care of you then.

I had to have a follow-up eye exam because I have a retinal hole in my left eye. I got a referal for that snd she did her exam and what not. Then I needed to have a regualr eye exam- had it done by a civilian provider that comes to base. Yeah.. I learned that you ahve to be careful about how they word your eye referal.. I didn't knwo about the 1 free eye exam.. I've always paid out of pocket for it. So we had to do a song and dance to get my free eye exam since I had already gotten one from the other Dr. even though it wasn't for a prescription.. So we got it worked out in the end... but you do need to be careful to tell your PCM if you have yet to have your eye exam or if you ahve already had it.. so that it doesn't mess you up too. 

But yes.. get seen right away. If the fluid or swelling is in your eye lid or skin tissues-- you can probably calm down a little and it's just irritation or infection sort of thing. If however it's actually in your eye ball ... you need to go ASAP!!!!  If you ever see streaks of light.. like lighteing trikes in your eye..mostly it's in the outercorner .. Go to the E.R. or what ever ASAP because that's the sign that your retina is detaching!!!   You will have sort of blotchy vision and will get those lightening strikes... these are the signs that I am told to consantly be aware of because of the hole in my retina. However.. if you have migraines.. it's not the same visual disturbance of the flashing lights ( if you get those and waht not) .. but better be safe than sorry and get it seen no matter what if you aren't sure!!!

Good luck!  

mommyofderek
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM

I saw the doctor. She said and thinks its allergies. I've never had allergies that affect my eyes. She gave me a referal to the eye doctor on eglin. She thinks I need to have my eyes tested again. I can't wait to see the eye doctor because well I think he'd be a better judge as to what is wrong with my eye.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)