Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

giving birth while dh is gone

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:39 PM
  • 11 Replies

PLEASE i just need info. I KNOW i have to do it!

have any of you given birth while your husband was gone?

did you have to fill out an special paperwork for the military?

how do i get someone to pick me up from the hospital who does not have a military id?

do they send out a red cross message to inform my dh?

01Clomid.gifdeployment survivor

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bramamber
by Amber on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Here is a bump. Are you giving birth in a military hospital?

AMBER

Join us on

The Military Moms

Karleen123
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:11 PM

I gave birth to our last baby while my husband was gone, no special paper work . They don't need military I.D to get on base all they need is a pass for the car, proof of insurance and a licence. You can get a guest pass ahead of time or you could let them borrow your car and they can get on no problem. The Red cross will notify your husband you just have to tell them.

If you have a friend or someone who can be there with you I recomend it. My Aunt lives near and came to my rescure thank God she was there casue it was very stressful.

Congratulations and good luck mommy

KatieZwerg
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:20 PM

No you dont need any special forms and its easy. When whoever comes to your rescue just have them drive your car, its easier and not as stressful (when the time is right you just hop in your car and let em drive instead of going thru n getting a pass). Now as for Red Cross YES they do inform your DH but not right away. My DH found out like 5 hours after our son was born and thats not the first time Ive heard of them procrastinating. So if you can have sonmeone email him when you do itll prolly be faster. You can also ask if the telecast is available where yall are. It will allow him to be there via webcam per say.

just remember you are strong and can do this. i didnt have anyone there till af ew hours after my son was born and I drove myself. I dont reccommend that but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Good luck sweet heart

butterflyblu
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Be sure your husband gives you a special power of attorney to enroll the baby in DEERS and Tricare.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Sorry that you are having to do this without your DH. I know that sucks. But see if the hospital offers a Freedom Call. That way, he can kinda be there with you. Sometimes, the labor moves too quickly for him to be there for the delivery, but they can still do one soon after so he can still see you and the baby. I know a few couples that decided to do it after the baby was born since there is so much going on during the delivery. My husband and I were discussing it and I think we are going to do it after the delivery, too. That is if he doesn't make it, which is questionable.

Good luck :)

cerealncheese
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:21 PM

i also had to give birth without my dh and it's pretty hard. i didn't have any problems with paperwork or hospital, but I gave birth off post in another hospital. Dont count on the red cross either, they REFUSED 3 times to inform my husband that I had delivered our child. Flat out refused. Your circumstances may be different and I hope all the best luck to you!

bgcmommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:20 PM

I've also had to give birth while my hubby was gone. My only advice to add to the discussion is make sure someone you know has your hubbies email so they can let him know when you give birth :) We did the whole red cross message thing, but it NEVER got to my hubby! The only way he knew about his 1st baby being born was because a family friend got into my email and messaged him about our little guy :)

aslforme
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:57 PM

ah, wow, i have no POA. he left quickly. i am hoping if special paperwork is needed, i can fax or e-mail then to him.

Wow, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

i have my husbands e-mail. i also have his chain of commands e-mail. i will try tio e-mail him myself, if available. i can also have my babysitter e-mail him.

I am so glad there are people who have been there, done that!!!!! boy, does this help:)

Quoting butterflyblu:

Be sure your husband gives you a special power of attorney to enroll the baby in DEERS and Tricare.

01Clomid.gifdeployment survivor

bebemama10
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Quoting aslforme:

ah, wow, i have no POA. he left quickly. i am hoping if special paperwork is needed, i can fax or e-mail then to him.

Wow, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

i have my husbands e-mail. i also have his chain of commands e-mail. i will try tio e-mail him myself, if available. i can also have my babysitter e-mail him.

I am so glad there are people who have been there, done that!!!!! boy, does this help:)

Quoting butterflyblu:

Your hubby can take care of the POA whether he is in Iraq or Afghanistan.  My hubby didnt give me one before he left and he sent it from downrange a month later.  He will have to mail it instead of fax it so make sure he gets it done soon so that you have it when the time comes. 

CafeMom Tickers

socialworker227
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:55 PM

When my DH was deployed I gave birth to our daughter. My DH had cousins that live in the area and agreed to be my a part of my family childcare plan. They took care of our two daughters while I was in labor. DH's cousin was my support person while I was in the hospital. She was able to email him when our little one arrived. She had a blackberry and was able to email pictures of our daughter. I wouldn't waist my time with notifying the Red Cross. I had to have a "DFAS Power of Attorney" to register our daughter into Deers and Tricare. My father flew down to help out. He went to the Vehicle Registration office on post where visitors must go and was able to get on post just fine. Best of luck to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)