Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First Time Doing Taxes In The Military...Help?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:29 PM
  • 16 Replies

Do You Do Your Own Taxes Like A Normal Civilain? Or How Does This All Work? Anyone Have Any Advice On What To Do Or How To Do It? Please And Thank You!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
omerciful1
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Honestly- we have always used H&R block. Many use the on post preparers, and that service is free.

texasarmywife21
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:07 PM

You can just go through Military One Source, they offer a service through H&R Block, which is free:

http://www.militaryonesource.com/MOS/FindInformation/Category/TaxFilingServices.aspx

butterflyblu
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:32 PM

I've used this the past 2 yrs.  It's really easy.  Just gather your documents and it prompts you to enter the numbers then e-files your return for you!  You don't have to calculate anything. 

Quoting texasarmywife21:

You can just go through Military One Source, they offer a service through H&R Block, which is free:

http://www.militaryonesource.com/MOS/FindInformation/Category/TaxFilingServices.aspx

Renee02
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I have my dad do it..Always have since the day I started to work at 16yrs old lol..And now he does my hubbys..He uses H & R Block..Alot of military uses the military services on base too and heard it is free..I personally only let my dad do it since I trust him and not a stranger..Not saying a stranger will screw you over but you never know..Good luck!

mommyofderek
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:54 PM

You do your taxes the same way as every other american. There isn't a special form or anything. Use H&R block its free.  

Seanswife05
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:04 PM

We use www.taxslayer.com. It does free federal returns for military, but if you work you'll have to pay for your state return. It walks you through step by step and is so simple to use. We always efile ours and get our return back really fast. 2 years ago we did a dity PCS move and didn't know we'd recieve a seprate W2 for that. We had already revieved our refund, so we called their 800 number and talked to someone. They told us what exactly we could do that we could file an amendment or just wait and do it on the next years return. We did the amendment because it was free and that way it was done and over. We love using them and will use them again this year.

jmecherub22
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Yes this is what we use as well...SUPER easy. In fact my husbands w2 was already available last week so we already filed with taxslayer.

Quoting Seanswife05:

We use www.taxslayer.com. It does free federal returns for military, but if you work you'll have to pay for your state return. It walks you through step by step and is so simple to use. We always efile ours and get our return back really fast. 2 years ago we did a dity PCS move and didn't know we'd recieve a seprate W2 for that. We had already revieved our refund, so we called their 800 number and talked to someone. They told us what exactly we could do that we could file an amendment or just wait and do it on the next years return. We did the amendment because it was free and that way it was done and over. We love using them and will use them again this year.

MrsMomx2
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Ive always used H&R Block and my hubby whos military has always used taxslayer... this will be our first time filling together now that were married yay! and were going to go through H & R again and I didn't know about getting the services free through them so thanks so much il definatley go that route :)

tangleballlover
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I just use TurboTax. It's online. It's free. It walks you through EVERY step.

C.Sb
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 2:01 PM

You can have someone else do them, or you can do them yourself, it's not any different really. We use Turbotax online, they walk you through everything. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)