Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tricare Reserve Select

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:46 PM
  • 9 Replies

We are researching this as an option to use instead of our current civillian insurance.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  How do I find out if a provider is a Non-Network Approved Provider?  I have found the Network Provider list and the doctors/clinics/hospitals we are familiar with aren't on that list, so I'm wanting to find out about the Non-Network Approved Providers because it sounds like that is the next best thing.  I called our clinic, and they take Tricare, but they weren't sure how that would go through without having an actual claim to file.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
violinjewel
by Julia on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:54 PM

We had reserve select before my husband became active, when he deployed, and we'll be going back to it once this deployment is done. It was really easy for us and cheaper then what we could get from either of our jobs. I'm not sure about your question on the non-network approved providers, as we were able to just call a dr.'s office and see if they took Tricare, and if they did, that was really all we needed. They sent out insurance cards for us, and all we had to do was look on the Tricare website to find a local provider. Sorry I couldn't answer your question any better. Best of luck to you. I hope someone will have a better answer, or maybe contact a Tricare regional office and see what they suggest. Good luck:)

HousewifeDiva
by on Jan. 21, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Thanks for the input and for the bumps. :)  I have a feeling this is one that I'm going to need to be calling Tricare for.  Also, I guess we can't get rid of our insurance that we have until November (open-enrollment) unless they let us drop it when my husband goes Active Duty 2 months for Tech school this summer.  That would be an ideal time to transition to Tricare.  I just want to ensure we will be covered with TRS.

angelwcamowings
by on Jan. 21, 2010 at 4:16 PM

We got Tricare Reserve Select when my husband came home from deployment. Being in the Guard it was what was best for us. It's alot cheaper then him trying to add me to his insurance through his civilian job and bascially it works the same as what we had while he was active duty. I was told it's the same as Standard and so far I haven't had any trouble with it...we got the insurance right when we became pregnant. I simply called and talked to someone and they were really helpful. Best of luck to you!

bramamber
by Amber on Jan. 21, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Here is a bump

AMBER

Join us on

The Military Moms

Caedens_Mommy
by on Jan. 21, 2010 at 4:23 PM

It's a LOT cheaper now! The rates where I live went down to $180.00 ish for an entire family. It used to be above the $240's. If your primary isnt in network you can take them information to fill out to become one. We lvoe our primary so this is what we'll do, however so far with non network provider it's still been covering everything that its supposed to.

Good luck!

Alexandria

{{Proud military wife of Ryan}}

{{Mom to Caeden & Bonus mom to Paige}}

army toddler boytoddler girl

myfoursonsks
by on Jan. 21, 2010 at 5:29 PM

We did have it before, but I don't remember much about it.  It seems like there was a website to find providers on.  Otherwise, I would just call and ask them for help in finding a provider, even if it is a non-preferred provider. 

brennajoy
by on Jan. 21, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Not sure, but here's a bump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)