• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHM Home Daycare Providers

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:21 AM
  • 8 Replies

Are there any moms in here who operate daycares from their homes? If so, how does being active duty military help or hinder your business?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mommyofderek
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:42 AM

I went to the training to be an on base provider and let me tell you they nit picked the SHIT out of you. They wanted me to take down my entire fence to move one pole over 2 inches turn every bolt around (mind you I didn't even put the damn fence up) then they wanted me to extend it... probably is you can't extend it because its a down hill slope. Its good money let me tell you but you gotta put up with a bunch of bullshit!!

GHFDLSG
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:27 AM

That's what I was afraid of.... I currently live off base so I was hoping that maybe I wouldn't have those kinds of problems, but you never know, they may try to come to my house anyway. I have a lot of things I have to do for the state, and I was just wondering if it was worth the hassle of signing up as a provider for military families in the daycare program.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:42 AM

I live off base, so I just had to follow state laws and such. I was not licensed, and I made sure that the parents knew that I was not licensed, but I never had a problem. My husband's military status held no affect on my business. But, since this is a military town, most of the kids had one or both parents in the military. I think I only watched 2 kids that had no affiliation with the military.

ETA: The military only gets involved (if you live off base) if you want to be put on their list of providers.

nemiller
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:57 AM

i haven't done it, but i've considered it.  i don't know if i'd rather have toddlers or do before & after school care.  i'm not looking to do it right this second, so i won't worry about it until i'm serious about it.

vnw1405
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:19 AM

I own and operate a daycare out of my home.  I am not licensed but I am legal.  I chose not to be affiliated with our local base only because there are so many restrictions and part of the reason I wanted to do this was so that I wouldn't have to answer to anyone else.  You need to check your states regulations first and foremost.  Here in MS we can watch up to 5 unrelated children at one time without being licensed.  Most states that require you to be licensed to watch even one or two children usually make the process fairly easy so make sure you look into that before you just give up.  If you decide you want to really do this and you are planning on claiming your business on your taxes email me and I will give you a list of the things you should keep track of  through out the year to makes things easier on you when tax time comes around.  Good luck! 

bramamber
by Amber on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:13 AM

If you decided to do it good luck. There are many rules you must follow if you are going to put on the base list of providers.

AMBER

Join us on

The Military Moms

TippyD
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:35 AM

both my sister and my mom have done inhome daycares(both married to at the time active dduty mil.)  my sister even has a son that goes back and forth to chemo! the parents were really cool about working with my sister, same with my mom's babysitting parents. being military never affected their daycare business... as to living off base and running a daycare, the bse has no conection.:D

hobbitswife04
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I've considered it but probably wont look any further into it until we PCS this summer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)