Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

unit relocation

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:57 AM
  • 8 Replies

anyone ever do a whole unit relocation. DH was told last week that his whole unit is relocating back state said but they aren't sure for when. I have no idea what to espect or even how to get ready for a pCS because I didn't have to deal with any of the PCS stuff until the movers brought our stuff to our apartment up here. Any help would be great. We will have a 2 year old and a new baby in May.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Je_Jette_Poo
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:38 AM

My husband's unit is relocating to Texas shortly after they return from this deployment.

He had the option of choosing to go... or to stay in Europe for the remainder of his contract. Obviously we chose to stay here lol They're just going to place him in a different unit.

bramamber
by Amber on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I have heard of it but never experienced it. So here is a bump.

AMBER

Join us on

The Military Moms

Cavalrybaby02
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:24 AM

We went through it, but didn't move with the unit.

They actually set every guy down and told them to move with the unit, they had to have so much time left in.  To stay, and get put in a different unit, they had to have so much time left in.  If they still wanted to get out, they would PCS to a different place altogether.

My DH chose to re-enlsit and get duty station of choice.  We got orders about 6 months after the unit left, so he was put in the unit with the guys that stayed behind (they stood up a new unit).  And then we PCSed on our own.

PCSing isn't that big of a deal, you'll get through it.

momma2brayden
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:29 AM

It's not too bad. If you're overseas they'll cover the shipping of your vehicle, and they come and pack everything really well and you can just lounge or watch. You don't even have to lift a finger, just make sure you have the things you want in a corner or seperate room and tell them you want to keep it.

Just a side note...we did this and left way too much out. It might benefit you to pack everything to make sure you don't have to leave things behind.

When you get to your new location you have to call a number on the paper they give you and they'll deliver your things, all you have to do is unpack.

Hope this helps :D

CafeMom Tickers
mommy4ever07
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Thanks ladies I think the whole hurry up and wait thing is getting o me again. they know that wee are moving but can't tell us when, all they will say is sometime this summer or early fall. Which isn't a huge time frame but is a much longer time frame than I would like especially with a new baby coming, me working, and family that is suppose to come a vist.

hobbitswife04
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I really don't know what to tell you. My hubby's squadron is supposed to be relocating but we will be gone before they do. But here's a bump.

KBix
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:47 PM

We relocated with big red one from Germany to KS....it was a pain in the ass...there was no housing anywhere to be found near fort riley when we moved back. They did it all in 2 months and it was dreadful.

But the army pays for 1 vehicle to be moved back stateside, they come in pack everything for you. (make sure you leave your passports and all those fun papers in your purse so it doesn't get packed by them) if you have pet you have to pay to have them flown back. (we paid 700 in 2006 for one dog)

also its best to start browsing local homes to get a headstart on the move in.

mommy4ever07
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Quoting KBix:

We relocated with big red one from Germany to KS....it was a pain in the ass...there was no housing anywhere to be found near fort riley when we moved back. They did it all in 2 months and it was dreadful.

But the army pays for 1 vehicle to be moved back stateside, they come in pack everything for you. (make sure you leave your passports and all those fun papers in your purse so it doesn't get packed by them) if you have pet you have to pay to have them flown back. (we paid 700 in 2006 for one dog)

also its best to start browsing local homes to get a headstart on the move in.

thanks so much as of right now I think the plan is to do a partial DITY, so that we have stuff when we get there and so that we can bring the dogs with us. Last time we moved they lost our stuff for like 3 weeks and from the time they came to pack us till we got everything was like almost 4 months and I don't want to do that again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)