• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it really America's job to rebuild Haiti?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:39 PM
  • 27 Replies

I feel for the people in Haiti-truly I do, and I pray for them daily--I pray they find the will to survive in the face of disaster.  But I also know that the billions of dollars we've given to Haiti--even BEFORE the earthquake--have gone straight into the pockets of the royals there, or have falled to the wayside, or have been used for things other than to directly help the betterment of the Haitian peoples.  I don't think it should be put on our shoulders to rebuild a country that has been falling apart for decades when we are struggling to find peace in our own economy.  I know that churches and other organizations truly want to help and have their hearts in the right place, but how much can we really do for countries like this?  Opinions??

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyofderek
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I think the country needs help however I don't think America should be handing them straight cash. America should pay the help directly that way they know what the money is going too.

I also think America needs to take time and focus on its own country. We are always the first to help everyone else but we need help here as well. There isn't enough money for education, drug prevention, arts etc... but we can dish it out to other countries?? Thats not fair to our own people or our children. 

tangleballlover
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I agree with you. I think that America REALLY needs to start fixing itself and not try to save the world. I understand many countries need help and we shouldn't turn our backs, but at the same time, it makes me think that maybe we're giving TOO much.

hobbitswife04
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I agree. I would also like to know where that $100 million is going to come from. Last time I checked we were so far in debt its not even funny. I have no problem helping those people, but I feel like us just handing them money is throwing it away.

Quoting mommyofderek:

I think the country needs help however I don't think America should be handing them straight cash. America should pay the help directly that way they know what the money is going too.

I also think America needs to take time and focus on its own country. We are always the first to help everyone else but we need help here as well. There isn't enough money for education, drug prevention, arts etc... but we can dish it out to other countries?? Thats not fair to our own people or our children. 

Awoody6
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:23 PM

We had this discussion last night on my FB. Basically where I stand I don't believe we need to be handing over money considering our OWN country is in a HUGE CRISIS. We need to be able to help out our own people first before we can focus on any other country. Look at the people who have lost their jobs and now are losing their homes because of our economy. We need to focus on THE USA first. If at all possbile it would be nice to hire people who don't have jobs here and send them to work over there. That way we can get two birds with one stone.   

Turb0Happy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:44 PM

100% agree!

Quoting tangleballlover:

I agree with you. I think that America REALLY needs to start fixing itself and not try to save the world. I understand many countries need help and we shouldn't turn our backs, but at the same time, it makes me think that maybe we're giving TOO much.

PamelaMoran
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:29 PM

No, it's not. Churches, private charities, and individuals should give as much as their hearts desire. I've even donated money. However, having our president hand over 100 million dollars of our tax dollars to a poverty-stricken nation with failed government policies is hardly the answer.I wouldn't mind it so much but everytime I saw a person be interviewed, they said the US wasn't doing enough and that the world doesn't care about them. That's just rude.

And these celebrities and their announcments are really bothering me. Haiti isn't a large country. Port-au-Prince isn't a large city. It's actually only meant to house 40,000 people but has 1,000,000 residents. Genius! For all of these stars who care so much about Haiti to get on TV and beg us for our money, they should pool their riches together and rebuild the country themselves. It probably doesn't cost much and their quality of life was pretty low before. Anything we do will be a vast improvement. I mean no disrepect to the Haitian people or immigrants. I've had Haitian-American acquaintances. I just think instead of insisting that Americans rebuild their country, Haitians should take their own leaders to task about the way the country is run so that they can enjoy more comfortable lifestyles.

themacs4
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I agree with both of you!!

Quoting hobbitswife04:

I agree. I would also like to know where that $100 million is going to come from. Last time I checked we were so far in debt its not even funny. I have no problem helping those people, but I feel like us just handing them money is throwing it away.

Quoting mommyofderek:

KBix
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:57 PM

i feel for them but its not our country's job. as another pp said it bothers me too when i see these interviews saying America doesn't help or doesn't care. Our country is broke and truly cant really afford to be sending money to another country. But what does bother me even more is the fact that we will go rebuild their country and provide them jobs while in America the job market will continue to fall and more people will end up without anything.

asaffell
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:27 PM

It's not our job. It's not ANYONE'S job, but the Haitians. However, it's an international moral duty - similar to how Haiti, who cannot feed their own, donated money to us after the disasters we've seen that have been far less traumatic. It also wasn't our job to help those involved in the tsunami. It wasn't our job to intervene in Bosnia, or Kosovo, but we did it.

This attitude really just saddens me. Of all the money we waste on the wars, and buying out corporations, this is a drop in the bucket.

Natural childbirth has evolved to suit the species, and if mankind chooses to ignore her advice and interfere with her workings we must not complain about the consequences. We have only ourselves to blame.

- MargaretJowitt

momma2brayden
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I just don't understand how we can raise so much money for this country when our country has homeless/jobless people everywhere, and they're asking for help. We need to help ourselves first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)