Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Needy Families in the Military

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2010 at 3:55 PM
  • 15 Replies

Okay as military wives and moms, we know that in a way we are all needy families, I personally shop for DS at the thrift shop because he's going to rip up his pants anyway and I refuse to spend a lot of money on clothes that are going to be torn up.

So I gave my DHs friends wife a TON of baby clothes 95% made up their babies closet, and if anyone read my baby shower vent this is the same one, who decided to lie to everyone and not come to the baby shower I prepared at my house because she wanted to be a spoiled brat.

I wrote that I gave them to a needy family, no names nothing, she was complaining that I called her poor. DH laughed and told her DH that maybe she should stop reading and looking at my facebook, myspace and cafemom.

I don't think I am wrong for saying a needy family, because that is what I consider them. Then again I believe that with the pay we get lol we are all needy.

I just need to vent, I hate to talk to my DH about wife things, lol.

by on Feb. 4, 2010 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mama_Kirch
by on Feb. 4, 2010 at 3:59 PM

haha. Some people are weird like that. I would be grateful and I consider ourselves a "needy" family sometimes. I just wouldnt help her out anymore. If she doesnt want to be considered "needy" than she doesnt need your help. Its not like it hurts you right? lol

amberdy
by on Feb. 4, 2010 at 4:02 PM

When we were in the "needy" category, I was grateful for whatever we were given.  Now, I give stuff to others.  My parents always taught me to be grateful for everything.  I don't think everyone has learned that lesson and I think it hurts some people's pride to think of themselves as "needy".

violinjewel
by Julia on Feb. 4, 2010 at 4:03 PM

I loved that my friend gave me all her baby's clothes. It gave my son he wardrobe for the first year of his life basically. It helped us out quite a bit, because we already had the crib, swing, diaper bag, all the necessities from my daughter. If your "friend" can't appreciate you were just trying to help, then that is her problem. I have since passed on the clothes I was given to other friends, and they were also appreciative. Maybe its just the type of person she is, which will just make her life harder, and more expensive. At least you attempted to help.

omerciful1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2010 at 4:06 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head. I believe it is a matter of pride and the definition of the word needy. Many times along the way we have been given all kinds of things- and many times we have given to other families. I look at it like this- people were kind enough to give us a hand along the way and the best repayment and gratitude that we could show would be to help others along their way also.

Quoting amberdy:

When we were in the "needy" category, I was grateful for whatever we were given.  Now, I give stuff to others.  My parents always taught me to be grateful for everything.  I don't think everyone has learned that lesson and I think it hurts some people's pride to think of themselves as "needy".

roxy85
by on Feb. 4, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Instead of needy you could just say "someone who could use them". When I hear the word needy I think of someone eating pb&j every night because they can't afford anything else. Even when my husband was an E1 I never would have considered us needy, but if someone offered me something for free that we could use I would take it and then pass it along to the next family I thought could get use out of it. Some people just take the word wrong, but I wouldn't have gotten butt hurt over it and refused to come to a party in my honor when no one knew you were talking about her...

Gecko85
by on Feb. 4, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I agree with this. I have had so many people offer to give me all their old baby stuff when we can actually afford to buy new things. I don't want to seem spoiled and say no, but isn't half the fun buying things for your baby? I love picking out her little outfits. I don't like it when people assume we need their help. We are doing fine. People don't understand why I would rather buy new then have a bunch of hand-me-downs, but that is just who I am. It doesn't make me a brat.

Quoting roxy85:

Instead of needy you could just say "someone who could use them". When I hear the word needy I think of someone eating pb&j every night because they can't afford anything else. Even when my husband was an E1 I never would have considered us needy, but if someone offered me something for free that we could use I would take it and then pass it along to the next family I thought could get use out of it. Some people just take the word wrong, but I wouldn't have gotten butt hurt over it and refused to come to a party in my honor when no one knew you were talking about her...

pregnancy

Adamsmommy1608
by on Feb. 4, 2010 at 4:21 PM

It sounds mean but I do consider them needy, but I consider us needy sometimes, my son needs size 6 shoes, I need snow boots, DH needs a clue, lol we are needy, and I think poor is the wrong word for it and she is just looking for drama anyway, as usual. Shes a brat because she lies, and is very ungrateful, she didn't come to the shower because she didnt want what was on the menu, lied to guests and lied about my DH. I don't call ppl brats, but she is.

MommaSpry
by on Feb. 4, 2010 at 4:27 PM

I am so thankful when people give us things. Things are NOT cheap. I always shop at the second hand stores/Goodwill... and when we've grown out of something, or no longer need something I give it away.

* Join Our Military Mom's Group *

** Supporting Our Heroes and The Families Behind--Military Mom MOD **

Mama_Kirch
by on Feb. 4, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Thats my def of needy... my def of need is "someone that could use help" but not necessarily poor. Im not poor but poor financial decisions when I was younger has made me needy sometimes. My husband needs new boots and I needed baby clothes that someone "donated" to me ( that I was COMPLETELY grateful for) but Im not poor. I give away what I dont need anymore to someone else that needs it. In fact Im giving away a big box of toys because my son is def NOT in need of any more.

Quoting Adamsmommy1608:

It sounds mean but I do consider them needy, but I consider us needy sometimes, my son needs size 6 shoes, I need snow boots, DH needs a clue, lol we are needy, and I think poor is the wrong word for it and she is just looking for drama anyway, as usual.

MaoChow
by on Feb. 4, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I don't consider us needy in the military, just not as well off as we should be. We have our "perks" on some matters. I'm so super appreiciative of the hand-me-downs I'm getting from my nephews even though we're having a girl. I figure I've got enough ribbon and Elmer's Glue to make it appear girly (yes I'm gluing bows to her head). We planned on buying all the big expensive stuff ourselves for two reasons. First is I do research on many items for months before deciding as well as waiting for the grand recalls to be over with (let us not forget the drop side cribs that cause suffocation). Second, we have a Honda Civic Hybrid! Where the hell are we gonna stick this crap for the trip from Alabama to Georgia?! Space is a big issue for some items.

She may just have an overabundance of hormones or is just that way naturally. I would be thankful for someone helping us save a buttload of money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)