Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

having two young sons and an husband going into the army.

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:12 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hey everyone! I'm 23years old and I have been married to my husband for 5 years.He is 25 and going into the army.I'm really excited about these turn of events for our family.He has a great job now working for the state but he just wants more for us.We got pregnant with our first child in 06 but misscarried.Now we have two beautiful boys Connor is almost 3 and Caden is 14 months today.We are very blessed to have them.We are looking forward to our new lives.I'm looking for others that can give me advice and could tell me a little that is to come.He will ship out to bootcamp in may.I'm worried for him but he knows I will stand BESIDE him for always...we have our problems but who doesn't? Never the less our relationship is still strong and we are fighters.God has blessed us so much...looking forward to getting to know ya'll in the future.

***AMBER***

SMILE OFTEN!!!big smile mini

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MarShy740
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Im sorry I dont know much about Military myself I have only been a military wife for 2 years comming May and we have never lived on base....But so far so good...GOOD LUCK

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

usmclife58
by Nikki on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Welcome to the group!

butterflyblu
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Welcome to the group!  My DH has been in the Army for 6 years.  We have been married for 3 1/2 years so I married into the military.  We have two boys also, ages 27 months and almost 3 months!  He's on his second deployment.   If you have any questions, ask away!  This group is pretty active and there are lots of veteran military wives who can help.  Even after 3 1/2 years I'm still learning! 

fairymom2316
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Welcome to the group! We are here for whatever you might need! =)

asaffell
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 2:58 AM

Welcome! I'm a Marine Corps wife, so I'm not entirely knowledgeable about Army training. The one thing that always comforted me is that regardless of the question, SOMEONE will have an answer in the military. It might just be "wait" but there's always a way to get an answer.

You'll do fantastic, and so will he. Congratulations!

bramamber
by Amber on Feb. 21, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Welcome to the group. This group has many Army wives that are very kind and they always try to answer question you may have.

bebemama10
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Welcome to the group!  I'm 25, have been married & an army wife going on 5 years, but my hubby was prior NG so he's been around a little longer.  We're expecting baby #1 and have been stationed in Germany, Ft Leonard Wood MO, and are currently at Camp Shelby MS.  It's quite the journey but as long as you learn to let go of control and just take what they give you it'll be ok :)

We're all here if you have questions, concerns, or issues :)

ocean10844
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Amber welcome, 1st off, how cool, yours sons names are the same as my two nephews..hehe. Second off, I am new to the Army as well, embrace cafemom as everyone is so friendly and willing to help answer any questions. It's hard when your hubby will be at bootcamp and won't be allowed to have a cell, so phone calls are a "privelage", my hubby got to keep his cell as he was prior service, but if they screwed up, that was the first thing to go!! The ladies in this group have helped answer tons of questions. Don't ever be afraid to ask questions, and remember be ARMY STRONG!! We were able to go to AIT, which is right after boot camp, usually you don't get to, unless his MOS is 6 months or longer, so u will have that bootcamp, and then him being away for AIT training, so prepare to be gone from him a long while, but the perk, you can go to his graduation and spend a few days with him. My hubbys AIT training is at Fort Meade Md. amazing base, LOVE IT. He graduates tomorrow, from the 1st half, then starts the 2nd half in a few days!! What is your hubbys MOS? Oh and by the way, everything is in abbreviation in the military...LOL. I am an army wife, so feel free to ask me anything, and I can help you get answers!! Welcome to the Army!! I am sure u will love it.

AMBER2520
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Hey everyone! thank you so much for welcoming me into this military world.It will different than we are use to but I know that we are ready.I know the longest time will be while he is at bootcamp and AIT.. he will be at ft.benning GA for both its not to far from me about 7 to 9 hours I can deal with that!!! I'm new to cafemoms so can anyone tell me about the chats? everytime i come on there are none going thanks so much I hope to keep talking to ya'll!!

freckled-Sandy
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Hello-

My husband and I were married 7 years when he decided to join the Navy.  He was in the delayed entry program for a year before he shipped out to boot camp.  I don't know anything about the army but I imagine some of the situations are the same.  I'm so happy for you and I have to say, military life for us was a good fit.  Hubby's been in now for over 5 years.  We have 2 kids as well.  A boy 12 and a girl almost 10.  They were obviously much younger when he joined.  I just wanted to list a few things that I learned when Hubby joined.  This is my own personal experiences so please don't think I'm projecting or anything.  Just listing a few things that I would have found helpful to hear from someone when going into this.  It's a huge change and I'm so glad you described you both as "fighters".  It will serve you in the years to come.  Ok...here goes.  And again, just my personal experiences.  Not saying anything like this will or has happened to you.

First off....I was isolated.  I wasn't near family and the friends I had at the time, had no idea what military life was like, what to expect, or how to help.  Some were actually kind of mean to me about it.  Find some military families if possible to ask advice from, (online is a good resource.  Good for you sweety.) You will make lots of friends when you finally get together at his first station.

Plan some projects for when your Hubby is in boot camp and at school.  Until you can be in the same household again, it is very helpful to have some productive goals.  Like redecorating projects, "love campaigns" for your Hubby (like a scrapbook where family members and friends write messages).   You can also journal.  It's amazing how things change in a short time.  You'll look back after the first year and be amazed at how you've grown as a person. 

Try something new that you've always wanted to but maybe have put off.  This time apart from him can be a real growing experience. 

Let others know what your needs are.  Many would love to help, feel passionate about helping but just don't really know how and don't want to intrude.  If you need a hand with yard work, make it known to loved ones.

Make sure you get a break from the kids.  No matter how much we love our children, we still need a break from Mommyville from time to time.  Your going to be doing the job of Mommy and Daddy while he's away so recruit for babysitting.  Go hang out at Barnes and Nobel, take in a movie or send the kids to Grammy and PaPa's for an afternoon while you have a bubblebath. 

Recruit people around you for things your husband normally does.  Make your local friendly computer geek aware that in case of computer emergency, that you may need his help.  Let "Uncle Tinker" know that if your car needs an oil change or a repair that you may need his help.  It is a comfort to know that you have someone there in case of an emergency.  This will be a comfort to your husband as well. 

That's all I can think of right now.  You will learn the meaning of the word "patience" when he is away, but you will also learn the meaning of the word "pride" too.  Pride in yourself and your kids and in your Hubby. 

One last thing, I just wanted to say that I was a normal garden variety housewife before.  We went through some struggles but I have learned so much and 5 years later, I am SO GLAD we became a military family.  I have never been so proud or had so much confidence in myself and my Hubby.  Good luck sweety.  You can do it! 

oh....and bring a POCKETFUL of tissues for graduation.  Your gonna need them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)