Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is anyone else...

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:31 PM
  • 16 Replies

Scared of the civilian life like I am? I mean we have money and in savings(he is a lifer so Im not so worried about it) but I mean Im afraid he will retire or ETS earlier than planned that he wont find a job. KWIM? Or have to wait longer and our money can only stretch so far with the way things are now. I am seriously afraid of not being able to find work when he gets out. For both of us. Does anyone else feel this way? We still have 10 years until he retires but alot can happen in that time ya know? I just dont want to seem like a big fraidy cat lol

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marinewifey25
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:38 PM

My husband is a lifer too...but I do still worry about these things....

themacs4
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Yes, I worry about the same things you do!

Armygirl2299703
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:42 PM

I think I would worry too. My worry right now is how I'll like/not like military life, but regardless I'm committed to my soldier and since thats what he is/was doing with his life when we met then I'm going to show my support and be by his side and just take things one day/baby step at a time.

asaffell
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:52 PM

We have a year and a half left, and honestly, I'm not scared either way anymore. My husbad just got a MAJOR training opportunity that will broaden his prospects when he's looking for a civilian job. I figure, if we can make it on E3 pay with 2 kids 3000 miles from all of our family, we'll be able to make it through anything. :)

violinjewel
by Julia on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Bump.

butterflyblu
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Yes I worry too and my husband doesn't want to be a lifer!  We still have a few years before his ETS date and he will most likely re-enlist to get him to his 10 year mark so that means he has 4 more years left but still it scares me to death!  I plan on going back to work but I'm scared that we won't be able to find jobs or the benefits will be crappy.  In some ways I would love to be a civilian wife and not have to worry about deployments and separation, but on the other hand I like knowing we're getting that paycheck every 2 weeks and I can take my kids to the doctor anytime without worrying about a bill. 

cs_1498
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:02 PM

I'm scared of civilian life too and DH is NOT a lifer. So a couple of years from now i'm sure i'll really be freaking out.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:34 PM

I don't. But I was a civi wife for a while, so it would not be such a big deal. Plus, I refuse to stress "what if" scenarios. Don't get me wrong, I prepare and everything, but I do not let myself become afraid or dwell on things. It is just what works for me :)

heathersarge
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:54 PM

I lived in the civi world by myself for awhile and had my oldest son 2 years before I moved in with my Marine.  He also got out for a few years.  Civi life isn't that scary.  If you do not know how to plan  LOL it can be rough.  Dh didn't like the (good) job he had so he re-enlisted.  I miss civi life sometimes. 

Armywife2oo9
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Absolutely! That's why he just re-enlisted (but I don't think he plans on being a lifer) and we have no money in savings lol.. hopefully in the next four more years things will be better!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)