Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Familial Dislikes

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:57 PM
  • 11 Replies

I'm sure we all have them, we all tend to hate them (or just general dislike); certain family members be the biological, adoptive or our husband's family. I'm curious as to who and how many of us have "issues" with certain family members. Not asking for names, just general reference.

pregnancy week by week

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
macks_mommy
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 12:26 AM

well i'll post, first my husband's family is very large so it's not like i have a problem with his whole family. out of 4 sisters he has there's 1 that i really have a problem with cause some of the stuff she does is almost like she doesn't have a brain. i also have a minor problem with his mom but i'm not the only one as some of his siblings and him all have the same problem with her. also some of my family i could just strangle with some of the things that have gone on in the last year. right now, however, i have a major problem with my own dad for 2 reasons that i'll just state as he is an absolute idiot right now.

MaoChow
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Here's why I thought of this. One of husband's cousins drove in to see his mom who lives fairly near us. No big deal. He's a good guy; bit of a pain in the ass at times, but tolerable. Said cousin has a younger sister, we'll call her Kay to keep it all separate. Okay, so Kay is 24, in college and works for a major retail chain. Good for her. Here's my issue(s) in my hate/dislike. There is no rationalizing with Kay about her behavior. It doesn't matter if the Dhali Lama or Buddha himself came to her. She would still argue that the red fire hydrant is silver. In her world, everyone is wrong but her. Okay, enough similies and on to the point. This is when it all started. In my first trimester we had problems with cramping and light spotting. Doctors said everything was fine but to just take it easy. We were offered a ride to Mobile, AL to see family with Kay and her mother since we didn't have the money for the trip to see the other cousin who we'll call Pain (lol) on his birthday. The trip there was pretty uneventful, everyone was civil.  I was miserable but that's typical of first trimester all-day-sickness. The stay was crappy but I was sick the whole time. Again, no biggy. The trip home is another story. That's when Kay's true colors shone through. It started with our first stop for fuel; she wanted a certain carbonated drink that the station didn't carry. She wanted to delay our trip to find it at another station. My husband and her mom said no. That's when the temper tantrums started. I never saw an adult throw one until that moment. She got mad, defiant, pouty and terse. To me, that was a tantrum. Then it just went downhill from there. The second stop her mom was tired of driving, Kay didn't want to drive and I was in no shape to drive so hubby sat in the driver's seat of this tiny toy of a car. Kay was moved from the copiolot's seat to the back with me and her little dog. Oh was she not happy about that, pitched another fit. She's a chain smoker so that started up with the front window open just barely a crack! I'm the ONLY non smoker in the car having a difficult pregnancy (not counting the dog). I'm like WTF! The last stop I notice in the bathroom I've started spotting again. I'm sure the stress of having to tolerate her and all the smoke was causing the problems. I tell hubs, he makes the decision to end the trip as fast as possible by speeding to get me out of the car as fast as possible and home in bed. Kay starts smarting off to my husband. I had had it. I was so close to putting my fist in her face. I almost lost it! We get there in record time, unload our crap from their car into ours and drive home. Three days of bed rest and I'm good as new but still have the nausea.

Okay, I'm going to cliff's notes the rest. That was just the one thing that pissed me off the most. She had a bday, had an online friend who was interested in her, met us all at a resturant with card in hand and with only 40 minute notice of said meeting. She basically ignored him or seemed to treat him as a second class citizen. Why? Because he didn't sign the friggin card! He was nice. We liked him.

Now today. There's a big sigh there. And we're to the beginning with Pain coming to see his mom. Pain and my husband are horrible together; they get annoying but everyone knows and expects this. You just gotta roll with it. We arrive and Kay's attitude completely changes! She again gets terse. I think it's me lol. Don't care really. Of course Pain and Alex (husband) pester her more because of this. It just makes things worse but I'm to the point of not caring. We all go to dinner and she only replies to her mom or Pain and it's all smart-assed, snotty teenager remarks. I was expecting the all too common eye roll and exasperated sigh that teen girls give. I still want to put my fist in her face, which is against my buddhist teachings. She just upsets my inner calm. Good thing I'm not around her much or she would have a black and blue face with a possible broken nose and me in jail for assault.

Wow. I feel a little better now.

pregnancy week by week

asaffell
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 2:55 AM

My husband's mother has been cut off from our family. She's...something else. Rude to me, terrible mother, pits the kids against each other. Just negative all together.

I dislike a lot of my cousins. I love them, but they act like classless trash a lot and it bothers me. It's been nice being 3000 miles away.

Brat111507
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 4:50 AM

His mom...she is a crack head. Trust me, there is NO love lost between the two of us. How he turned out so damn wonderful and caring is beyond me. Man I love him with all my heart but I could stand to exchange that family member.

nemiller
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 6:57 AM

my uncle's wife.  she's his third wife and they're really just getting worse as he goes along.  she's nosey, whiney, needy, etc.  she causes drama in the family, then throws a fit and refuses to talk to anybody when we react badly.  she pits my uncle against us, playing the victim.

also, not too happy with my oldest cousin right now.  i honestly don't know if i'll be able to get over what he's done if it turns out to be true.  there's only so much i can tolerate.

montessori_mama
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 7:03 AM

There are a few with whom I just plain have a personality conflict, whether they know it or not.  I have no problems with them, and appreciate them all the same - but if I can avoid spending extra time with them without being rude, I usually do.

akgraff
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 7:39 AM

i have a problem with my husband comparing his chatty, singsongy, loud and busy stepdaughter to his quiet but energetic, follow rules son. I don't like how he sometimes disses on my daughter just bc she's different than his son and comes from a different (and more stressful) enviroment than his son. I love both kids just as they are and their uniqueness. They never have majore problems with each other (no hitting, or name calling) We are working on this. I bought like 11 books on bonding two families together.  His family is very loving and sweet and i love them! I don't like his ex girlfriend too much though, she seemed to have really caused him problems, but she seems kinda friendly (in a lets put on a pretend face kinda way) and for the most part i think she's a little jealous that she would have had a chance with him if she didn't cheat on him and treat him poorly. I love my dh but boy can he be a butt!!

MaoChow
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Quoting nemiller:

my uncle's wife.  she's his third wife and they're really just getting worse as he goes along.  she's nosey, whiney, needy, etc.  she causes drama in the family, then throws a fit and refuses to talk to anybody when we react badly.  she pits my uncle against us, playing the victim.

also, not too happy with my oldest cousin right now.  i honestly don't know if i'll be able to get over what he's done if it turns out to be true.  there's only so much i can tolerate.

Sounds like my brother in law's wife. He is the same age as me, 29, she's 40! I think she's slow in the head! I would ask if your uncle is my brother in law, but this is his first marriage.

pregnancy week by week

usmclife58
by Nikki on Feb. 21, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I have issues with a lot of family members- his and mine. Right now, one of his grandmothers is the worst. She purposefully says things that are not nice and then tries to play it off like she didn't really mean anything by it. And when it comes to sending him cards/gifts, she will only give it to his parents to give to them. It's like she is afraid I am going to spend the money. At Christmas, she came over to his parents house and looked at me and then handed his dad a card and said they could keep it until he came home or mail it to him when they sent out the next box. She just kept looking at me the entire time she was talking. But DH loves his gma, so I kill her with kindness. She has never liked me, and I doubt she ever will, but I will put up with her for my DH. And I will let him think she is the sweet old lady that he loves. As long as she keeps her nastiness away from the kids, we will be jsut fine.

themacs4
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 11:58 AM

My mom...she has her good days & bad days.  I'll just leave it at that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)