Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old was your child when you took him/her on a plane?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:56 AM
  • 47 Replies

DH is taking leave to go home to Texas (we're in NC) late April. DD will be 3 1/2 months by then but I'm worried how she'll be during the flight. Any suggestions on how to make the trip easier for all of us?

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Michele-w3
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Babies are the easiest on planes.  Well, little babies.  Just feed (bottle or breast) during take off.  Mine all passed out early on and would sleep most of the flight.  It wasn't until they hit around 18 months that they become pains.

MommaSpry
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:33 AM

My dd was 22 months and did great, she loves planes!

serioussifL
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:46 AM

DD was around 1 month old. Shes been on over 10 flights in the first year of her life.. and at that age, all they do is sleep and eat anyway. The loud noise of the plane makes them fall asleep. If you use a binky, bring it in case she gets fussy. Enjoy it, because when they get older, around 8 months) it starts getting very difficult.

I am a breastfeeding and formula feeding, pro-choice, vaccinating, Turbo Jamming,
disposable diaper using, cio sometimes, cat loving, dieting, married
and love my husband
Army wife and momwww.myspace.com/serioussifl  Check out my music!

hobbitswife04
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:47 AM

We have never flown but heres a bump!

spcjones203
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Kiddo was 4 months old when we took him on his first plane trip to New Jersey. Just make sure you feed the lil one during takeoff and landing, as the swallowing will keep popping her ears. Also, at 3 1/2 months, I doubt she'll want to do much more than cuddle. But a few toys would be a good idea. Also, if you could try to keep her up PAST her normal nap time before you get on the plane, the slight rocking motion should knock her baby booty out.

rocknrollgirl70
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:55 AM

my daughter was 13 months so...

SouthernShawnee
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Binkies or bottle during take off and landing and, I suggest, just about the whole time. Little ears pop easily and it will hurt. My son was 7 months old the first time I took him on a plane and the only issue I had with him was boredom. At 3 and 1/2 months she may be a little easier. Though I do suggest bringing toys she's never seen or played  with before, that tends to hold their attention for a good while. Good luck mama!

brennajoy
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Yep I agree with this. My daughter flew the first time when she was 2 months old. She slept the entire time!

Quoting Michele-w3:

Babies are the easiest on planes.  Well, little babies.  Just feed (bottle or breast) during take off.  Mine all passed out early on and would sleep most of the flight.  It wasn't until they hit around 18 months that they become pains.

armycoppertop
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:10 AM

My daughter was 2 weeks old the day we took three flights from Alaska to Ft. Riley, KS. She slept through most of the flights (then again, so did my ex and I on the first flight, the flight attendants were laughing when we woke up) and she only fussed when we were landing on the last flight because of the air pressure change because we didn't have a bottle for her (the flight attendant hadn't had a chance to bring us the water before it was too late). Other than the one flight, she was quite either sleeping, drinking her bottle of sucking on her pacifier.

Afwife52606
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:17 AM

First time flying my youngest was 6 months and my oldest was 2.

Feeding her during take off is a great idea, the sucking helps relieve the pressure in the ears that might cause them to cry, and it will help her to sleep.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)