Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you speak any other language(s)?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:41 AM
  • 24 Replies

I would like to know if you speak any other language(s) than English. 

Did you learn the language at home from your parents or at school? Did you take a class to learn it? 

When you were/are located overseas, did/do you try to learn the language of the country you live/d in (the UK does NOT count *lol* But then again, their accents and dialects are so bad sometimes that I did not understand what they were saying.)

Is it easy for you to learn a new language? Are you fluent in another language?

I grew up speaking German. My mother speaks Ukrainian too, but unfortunately, she never taught me. I learned English, French and Latin in school. (I know, my English grammar and spelling still needs improvement and will be taken care of as soon as I´m going back to college here in the States :-))

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amberdy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I speak a very little bit of several languages, but I'm not fluent in any other than English.  I can speak a little French from classes in HS.  I speak a little Spanish from classes in college.  And, I speak a little Portuguese from being around my husband and his family.  Most of his family doesn't speak English, so I've had to figure some stuff out so I know when they are talking about me, LOL. 

I would like to get back the French and Spanish I lost over the years.

millinco
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I have a degree in Korean....I started learning it when I was active duty Air Force, and I just liked it enough to keep working on it.  I was stationed in Korea for a couple of years (that's where I met my DH), and I definitely got to use it there.  I wouldn't say I'm fluent now, but at one point I was pretty close.  I also took Latin and French in high school, but I honestly don't remember much of that now...

CafeMom Tickers
violinjewel
by Julia on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:45 AM

I wish my grandparents and parents would have taught me Spanish, growing up half Mexican, and I can't even speak the language. I learned French in high school, but have completely forgotten it.

bramamber
by Amber on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Nope, I wish I did. I took Spanish in highschool.

hobbitswife04
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:07 PM

I know a little bit of spanish and can communicate in ASL, although not fluent. I want to become fluent in both and will be working on that here soon.

VelaBaby08
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Took Spanish class in HS, my husband is mexican so he teaches me some spanish and I know some tagalog (I understand it but I only know some words) my mom is fluent and thats all my grandparents speak so I know some to be able to speak to them (or I use my mom as a translator lol) I also know some bisayan too (sp?) its my moms dialect language... so shes fluent in 3 languages.

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:21 PM

I speak Tagalog. I learned from DH, and I speak it regularly to my kids. They understand it, but answer me only in English. But at least this way they can understand when their cousins and Grandparents speak to them. They are fluent in English as well, but Tagalog is the "house" language.

Mamivon3
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I am german. I speak english pretty good (I guess) . When i think about the time I met my husband....ouch. I only spoke very little english and mostly wrong, but after 3 month I got the hang of it. I know  a little arabic and thats it.

abelsc
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I wish I knew tagalog.  DH's mom speaks it and never taught DH and I want to learn because I want to know what's being said so I know if they are talking about me or not.  Maybe DH and I can learn it together so we can teach DS

usmclife58
by Nikki on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I speak a little Spanish. I can understand it better than I can speak it. I used to be able to speak it fluently. I could also speak Italian, French, German and Portuguese enough that I could survive as a tourist- but I would still need that little book, just in case, lol! I taught myself everything but the Spanish and Portuguese. I learned those in HS. I also learned how to say "I am going out of my mind" in Gaelic so no one would be able to understand me, lol!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)