• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help with vaccines.

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:34 AM
  • 11 Replies

So the baby will be coming here shortly, and I'm wondering about how I'm going to do her vaccines.  I've been seeing a civilian for my OB care, so I don't really have a clue about what to do when she's born...other than getting her enrolled in DEERS and Tricare.  I know that babies need all sorts of vaccines, but I've heard a lot of bad things about getting them too early putting the child at risk for developing autism.  Is there a choice in when she gets them done, or is the clinic just going to tell me when I have to bring her in??? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
violinjewel
by Julia on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Bump.

stpalmsgirl
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Yes you always have a choice, our daughter is not vaccinated at all and we never had a problem. We didn't even have problems when we moved to japan, she also goes to the CDC here on base. The only thing I had to do was file an religious exemption with the chief of preventive medicine.

And yes vaccines can hove horrible side effects, if you need more info pm me. You can also join the "choosing not to vaccinate" group, they ladies there are really nice and they hold good info. It's a good place even if you choose to vaccinate or selectively vaccinate.

Oh and in case you choose not to vax, don't ever let anyone in the clinic tell you that it's the law to have your baby vaxed, because it;s really not.

millinco
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Bump.

bramamber
by Amber on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:55 AM

You always have a choice. I, however, choose to vaccinate. Working in a children's hospital influenced my decision to fully vaccinate. There is also delaying and alternative scheduling. There is a lot of information out there. Some are misleading on both sides of the issue. You have to do what is right for your family. If you choose not to you will just have to fill out a form when you enroll or in school and or daycare.

asaffell
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:15 PM

You have a choice in all of it. When she gets them, if she gets them. You need to research it all and figure out what you're comfortable doing. There are a lot of books and some really decent groups on here to check for more information. Good luck!

SarahJean70
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:31 PM

There is no link between vaccines and autism. The original study has been retracted.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/parenting/2009/02/the_original_vaccineautism_stu.html

usmclife58
by Nikki on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:12 PM

You do have choices, but I recommend researching it. We vax. I feel it is what is best. I have seen too much working in the medical field to take the chance. Especially with how often DH is out of the country and how many vaccines he gets in him... Yeah. I'm not taking chances. No one in my family has ever shown a negative reaction to them either, so that makes the decision even easier.

millinco
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Thanks everyone for your replys.  I have actually had some pretty nasty reactions to a couple of vaccines, and my family has a long history of auto-immune diseases.  This is why I am a little more hesitant about it, so it's good to know at least I won't be FORCED to vaccinate my baby if I choose otherwise.  Thanks again! 

CafeMom Tickers
PhilsBabyMama
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:58 PM

You are the parent, you decide when and what your child gets vaccinated with.  I would suggest reading The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears.  He discusses each vaccine and the pros, cons and ingredients individually.  It is very important that you educate yourself about the vaccines because in then end your child's health is YOUR responsibility, not a doctor's.  Good luck.

serioussifL
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:05 PM

You have a choice. Do some research(from both sides of the argument) to decide what is best for your kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)