Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When somebody says...

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:10 PM
  • 18 Replies

"I am thinking about joining the military (enter branch here)".... what is your first thought? Is it "why?" or "good for you!" or does it depend on the branch? Would your reaction make a difference if it was a family member or a good friend?

I am a breastfeeding and formula feeding, pro-choice, vaccinating, Turbo Jamming,
disposable diaper using, cio sometimes, cat loving, dieting, married
and love my husband
Army wife and momwww.myspace.com/serioussifl  Check out my music!

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tangleballlover
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:23 PM

My reaction is usually..."think it through"

I think too many people just jump into the military not knowing anything about it.

violinjewel
by Julia on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I usually think good for you, if they have researched everything about joining the military, and the branch they're joining. If they say they're just joining for benefits, then I think why, because that isn't all there is to joining.

marie27787
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:51 PM

currently i think great but you need to know that it won't be easy so think about it but with the position our economy it is one of the ways to survive financially i'm not saying that do it cause u have no job do it because you want to and know that you could die doing it we are at war and that can happen but if you still decide to join knowing that i salute you

hobbitswife04
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:44 PM

For me it depends on the person and the branch.

ArMyWiFe9506
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:48 PM

If they know what they want and they have done the research I tell them "Way to go! I am proud!" I am all for supporting joining as long as the person knows what they are getting into and they know what they want. If they don't know what they want I tell them to "think it thru". My brother is going into National Guard and he knows what he wants I just wish I had a brain to remember what it was! LMAO!

in love its a boy

Wife to a loving soldier and mommy to be to a precious baby boy who is our wonderful gift from God!

save the date

pregnancy week by week

armycoppertop
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:03 PM

It depends on who it is, if it is someone I don't really know, I just say "cool" but if it is someone I know very well or a family member (and is not prior service) I will ask them why, just to put them in a position where they have to be able to coherently present their reasoning to a third party. If they can't explain it to a third party, then they hear themselves not making any sense and gives them a signal that they may want to reconsider just WHAT and WHY they are doing. And it gives me a chance to make sure they understand the sacrifices they are going to have to make as a service member, what their family (spouse/children AND mom/dad) will go through and what makes it all worthwhile, and if they are people I think will make crappy service members, I can tell them why and they can take a look in the mirror and determine what changes they need to make going into it to be successful.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Same thing. I go from this to "good for you" after that. But I find it hard to find sympathy for those that join without really looking into what they are getting themselves into.

Quoting tangleballlover:

I think too many people just jump into the military not knowing anything about it.

toriandgrace
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:46 AM

I think why, but we don't really enjoy the whole military thing.

MaoChow
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 7:20 AM

Usually way to go is my last though after they have researched it. My BIL joined the Guard and dropped out in boot. Friggin waste of time and energy on the behalf of the Army. His weak-mindedness just pisses me off; so do his excuses.

Quoting tangleballlover:

pregnancy week by week

asaffell
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 11:14 AM

It depends on the person. There are a few that I think it would really benefit, and then there are others I know who couldn't handle the lifestyle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)