Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Intresting topic

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:08 AM
  • 9 Replies

We talked about home schooling.

What do you all think about unschooling?

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Parenting/video/extreme-parenting-radical-unschooling-10413158

Unschooling refers to a range of educational philosophies and practices centered on allowing children to learn through their natural life experiences, including child directed play, game play, household responsibilities, work experience and social interaction, rather than through the confines of a conventional school. Exploration of activities is often led by the children themselves, facilitated by the adults. Unschooling differs from conventional schooling principally in the thesis that standard curricula and conventional grading methods, as well as other features of traditional schooling, are counterproductive to the goal of maximizing the education of each child.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tamara J.
Avon Independent Sales Representative
www.youravon.com/tamarajackson
Get free direct delivery with :FSANY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Army Spouses Online (Site Owner)
Kansas Military Wives (Group Owner)
Leavenworth Moms (Group Owner)
Military Wives Raising Girls (Group Owner)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bramamber
by Amber on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:39 AM

It depends on the situation. Some states require home school student to take standardized test yearly. So there are certain subjects that will have to learn. My son goes to a Montessori school which has a similar learning style to unschooling. However, certain subjects are still required learning.

tangleballlover
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Eh. I think there is some good to going to actual school.

jkmeier8909
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:05 AM

thats really ...... interesting. i think i would prefer that my child follow the curricula.

there is always time outside of school to learn life experiences.

amberdy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:13 AM

I know many families that unschool.  It has worked wonderfully for some of them and others the children are far behind where they should be in some subjects and far ahead in others.  The "unschoolers" that I knew, the children still did some traditional school work, but just that of their own choosing.  I would never do it because I would be worried about the educational gaps, but I know people it has worked really well for. 

LuxAeterna
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Autodidactism isn't new at all.  I already employ unschooling principles.  We're strongly considering continuing it into compulsory school grades.

violinjewel
by Julia on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:30 AM

I'm not sure on the whole topic, and I think I would want to follow some sort of curriculum while homeschooling. I would just be concerned about my kids falling behind on things they should know at a certain age.

Silly3smom
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:49 PM

One of my friends homeschools, her children are bright, but she is running into problems with the oldest child, she refuses to do her school work, and now is in jeopardy of not passing the year, I agree with homeschooling, but unschooling? How would a child learn basics? I know there are shortcomings in the public schools, but I do know my children are learning more than I alone could provide them~ math is not a strong point for me! 10th grade geometry~ewwww! 

usmclife58
by Nikki on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I think it could be beneficial for some children... But we are going with traditional schooling.

Ms.Tamara
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I learned about unschooling a few years ago when I was in college. I don't think it's for me or my family. But I am really unsure about how effective this approach is. I get regular homeschool but not unschooling. From watching the video I don't think the children in the video was up to par with those in a traditional homeschool setting.

For me unschool is not an option. I have my strong points in teaching but I feel sending my children to a regular school they will benefit more than having them homeschooled.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)