Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Camp Lejeune

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM
  • 5 Replies

We're moving out to Jacksonville, NC in August.  Anyone familiar with the area?  What's it like there?  Any mom groups that I can join there?

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lovemymarine18
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:20 PM

I live in Jacksonville. Where are you moving? I really like it here, it's a complete military town but I love being close to the beach! What would you like to know about the area? I'm not sure about any mom groups, but I'm always up for new friends and I'll be a mommy in about two months! 

If you have any other questions let me know!

Seans_mommy123
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:26 PM

I'm actually getting ready to move back there. We're actually building a house in Sneads Ferry which is on the backside of base. Most definitely a military town. I personally don't think there is a lot to do there. Others feel differently. Wilmington is about 45 minutes away depending on where you live in Jacksonville and there are some decent things to do down there. Its get quite hot and humid during the summer time. There are a lot of playgroups and I know there is at least one MOPS group if not more in the area. Feel free to ask more questions. I was there from 2005 to just last year and we get to go back after being gone just over a year.

BiloxiDreams
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:28 PM

We lived there for four years.  The base housing is awesome (brand new houses some the older ones are all of like 5 or 6 years old).  Lots of mom groups, check out http://www.meetup.com/ The beach on Lejeune is okay but not great, head south a bit to Topsail and their beaches are AMAZING!!!

usmclife58
by Nikki on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:02 PM

J'ville is getting a lot of new folks, lol! I am in CP (about an hour away) so I can't help much. So... BUMP :)

LuxAeterna
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:59 PM

It's sucks.  I hate it.  We'll be in Wilmington until we PCS.  Jacksonville is dumpy to me.  But I'm a city girl and prefer living in or close to major cities.  I'm biased.

I don't like military towns.  That is to say, a town that can't support itself without the military.  I don't like feeling smothered by everything and everyone military.  Which is why we both love San Diego--where I'm from.  It's beautiful.  The beach is awesome.  There's *tons* to do and places to shop.  Awesome cuisine and it's culturally and religiously diverse.

After over 4 years here we look forward to moving.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)