Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

how many times to they get deployed?

Posted by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:03 PM
  • 28 Replies

so im new to all of this. my husband is in boot camp as we speak and he graduates on may 21st! so excited to see him. i cant wait until the end of AIT so we can find out where we will move. his mos is Light Wheel Mechanic and they say it could be any where with that mos. but around how many times do they get deployed?

by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cat323
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:08 PM

there is no specific number or time frame....you go when and as many times as the military calls upon his unit........my DH was in for 23 yrs and had numerous deployments all over the place, you just never know really when they will be until they get their orders.

Cat...mom to: Steve (22) AD Army  Andy (21) Jordan (18) Kyle (16)

married to Steve (5-2-86) retired AFNG Msgt (23 yrs of service) and a deputy sheriff

Jennyfurs27
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM

It all depends on so much... you wont have a good idea until he gets his orders... some units deploy more than others...

tangleballlover
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:12 PM

It depends on where he goes. There are some duty stations that deploy more than others (Fort Drum, Fort Bragg, Fort Campbell). They are also trying to get the rotation changed where it's 1 year out, 2 years in. My husband has been in for 4 years in September and will be deployed for the 2nd time before that. And to make things worse...we didn't get to our first duty station til he was already in for a year. One of my friends' husband has been in 6 years and has 3 deployments and will be doing his 4th this fall. But to be honest, it really does just depend.

jessiebug27
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Its differen't for each job, and base. at our last base my hubby got deployed once and he was there for 3 years but everyone else in his shop got deployed every 6 months. at our new base he hasn't been deployed yet and hardly anyone has gotten deployed from his whole squadron (we've only been here for a year though). Good Luck!

usmclife58
by Nikki on May. 3, 2010 at 1:18 PM

They can deploy constantly, or rarely. It all depends on the MOS, station, luck (LOL!) DH has been on a 6 month rotation (supposed to be 6 months gone, 6 months home, but it is more like 7-8 months gone, 4-5 months home). *HOPEFULLY* some of the rumors that are currently going around are true and he will be on a new rotation of "6" months gone, 12 months home. I don't know what I will do with him being home so much.... I hope I still like him at the end of a year, LMAO

aRmYwIfE8583
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:19 PM

thanks so much! how long do they usually deploy for?

sunshine86912
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:21 PM

a deployment is normally 12 months but some go less and i think a few units my still do a little more, but 12 months is pretty much it.  Unless hes SF (which with that MOS it shouldnt be attached to SF or anything) but SF guys do 7 months on 7 months off

MissG9
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:22 PM

There's not really a specific number of times set in stone. There are a lot of variables. MOS, station, how badly they are needed, etc.

In my husband's first 4, he deployed twice. His friend, same time enlisted, deployed 3 times in the first 4. His friend happened to end up in a unit that was getting ready to deploy. And, my husband entered one that had just gotten back from a deployment. That's Marines, though. I'm not sure of Army. (Both of his deployments were 11 months.)

Then I have a good friend in the AirForce. She did 4 years without a deployment. And, she just re-enlisted...and they told her before, that if she did, she'd have to deploy immediately. (6 month deployment, I believe)

In all honesty, the only thing you can count on in the military, is not counting on anything. So, don't worry too much about it. : )

And, there is no combination of words I could say...

But, I'll tell you one thing, it's always better when we're together.
aRmYwIfE8583
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:28 PM

sf?

jenkybrie
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Like all the other ladies said, it depends on alot of things. My husband is getting ready to do his fourth and he's been in 7 years. His first two deployments were only 6 months, one was for 12 months and the next one is 15 months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)