Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Black Hole Bases

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:02 AM
  • 62 Replies

Is it just me or is this said about every base?  I've seen so many people refer to the base they are at as a "black hole" and that no one ever gets out.  We've been to two of these and DH left the first one after two years and the second one after 3 1/2 years.  Most of the people we knew who had been there a long time were in jobs where they didn't have enough people or their job was only at certain bases.  The base we just left was called that by people too.  Just thought it was funny that the term was thrown around so much when there's always people coming and going.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xxlilmomma09
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Fort Hood and 3d ACR are a black hole, lol! It is like impossible to leave the freakin unit, lol!

armybusy mom

brennajoy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:48 AM
That's what they say about Tinker AFB too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saduncan
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:58 AM

They always say that about Dover too.

gogetem
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:01 AM
They say that about Lemoore. I believe it, though, after hearing it from a couple officers and the CO of the base. I love it here, anyway! :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TK87
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:31 AM

I heard we're stuck here.  My husband hasn't bee stuck at a base yet.  Right after we got married we moved, was there for two years and moved again.  My husband's shop always ended up shutting down so that's why he's always had to move.

c_turtle21
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:08 AM

I have heard that about Fort Campbell and Fort Riley..but we seem to be on the every 3 year program!

101stwife
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:48 AM

We were at Fort Campbell 7 years. Now we are in Mannheim, Germany for 2 more and I hope we go back to Campbell. I like stability:)

mom2cindylouwho
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:11 AM

My brother could say that about Ft. Campbell ... he's been there for 8 years!  Good thing he likes it there.  We're headed there after the Summer & while I usually get antsy to move on after 18months or so, it would be nice to keep some stability for DD since she'll be in school by then.

my4yahoos
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:29 AM

It can happen at any base if you don't try to leave. Minot AFB is that way. I know people where that was their only duty station. I'm at Little Rock AFB and I keep hearing it about here too. This is only our 3rd base. Sheppard was suppoed to be a controlled tour, but the tour lengths changed about 4 times while we were there. Originally a 39mo tour turned into a 61mo tour.

tangleballlover
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Fort Drum is a black hole. Most people stay here for 5 years, go to another duty station and then come right back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)