Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need your PCS opinion ladies!!!

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:33 PM
  • 18 Replies

Hi there!

My husband and I are PCS in September from WA state to MD. We are moving right after our baby is born... we are conflicted whether we should have the military move us or DITY. We don't have a ton of stuff and have one vehicle. Do you guys recommend a DITY or have them move us? We are leaning more towards DITY because most of our stuff is packed up but we only want to do it if we can make enough money to make it worth it to do all the work ourselves. What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with moving from WA to east coast DITY?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissG9
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:50 PM

I wouldn't dity.

The rate per mile is only .16 or so right now. It's not even worth it.

new2this09
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:51 PM

DH suggests you DITY. He says if you can work it right, you can pocket some of the money you'll be reimbursed.

ArmyWifey4907
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:59 PM

We had the Army move us when we PCS'd.  It was our first move, from our home state of MN to TX.  It went pretty good, only a couple of things were damaged.  I did the Army move because DH was gone at training for 7 weeks right before we moved, so we thought it would be easier just to have someone else come pack up all our stuff and move it for us.

pregnancy week by week

hope4emma
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:12 PM

We just pcs-ed from AZ to DE.  We did a partial DITY.  This is the way we have done all our moves.  We are getting $3200 but most of it is DLA.

JMO, but since you will be traveling with an infant, it may just be easier on you to have your stuff packed and shipped for you.  Congrats on the baby, btw!

amberdy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:17 PM

I would do a partial DItY move.  That's what we always do.  I wouldn't do a full DItY with a new baby.  We always make money when we do it this way.  We moved from SC to Wa and Wa to Ga.

Mama2lilGarrett
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM

I would let them move you. They changed the rates April 1 and you dont get as back as much as you would have before.

butterflyblu
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:19 AM

This.  With the rate change it's not even worth the hassle.  You'll get a dislocation allowance anyway which is typically a little over $2K (it varies slightly by rank; you can look up the specific amount) and then reimbursed for your travel expenses which we always made extra money on that too.  I know people who have actually lost money on a DITY move.

Quoting MissG9:

I wouldn't dity.

The rate per mile is only .16 or so right now. It's not even worth it.

violinjewel
by Julia on May. 27, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Bump.

c_turtle21
by on May. 27, 2010 at 10:37 AM

We have PCS'd 3 times and have never done a DITY move. For me, it is less stressful to have the military hire someone to come in and pack and move...I already have to worry about finding housing when we arrive, hand carrying the kids medical and a copy of school records and getting them into a new school. i would rather NOT have to worry about getting everything else there.

MommaSpry
by on May. 27, 2010 at 10:49 AM

We've only done a partial Dity and we liked the way it went (havent gotten our hhg yet but hoping nothing is broken lol)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)