Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Pregnancy military discharge? Or ETS?

Posted by on May. 28, 2010 at 1:05 PM
  • 15 Replies

My husband and I planned on getting pregnant closer to my ETS date, 16MAY11, but we got pregnant after the first month of trying. Now as blessed as I am, I'm pissed. I'm due Jan 3 and I have 45 days of maternity leave then I'll have to go back to work for a month before my seperation leave. I know I'll be clearing, but I can't clear for a month. Maybe I can take my seperation leave right after maternity leave? Anybody dealt with this? I don't want to take a pregnancy discharge because of the 3 months and 2 weeks of paid leave.

by on May. 28, 2010 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bramamber
by Amber on May. 28, 2010 at 1:37 PM

I have not. I got out when I was prego. So here is a bump.

kittylove86
by on May. 28, 2010 at 1:47 PM

You should be able to take all of the personal leave you have built up right After the maternity leave.  Then if you still have extra days of leave left they will just pay that to you.  Since you have so little time left I would NOT take the pregnancy discharge. 

usmclife58
by Nikki on May. 28, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Yep.

Quoting kittylove86:

You should be able to take all of the personal leave you have built up right After the maternity leave.  Then if you still have extra days of leave left they will just pay that to you.  Since you have so little time left I would NOT take the pregnancy discharge. 

Photobucket

kuulgrl80
by on May. 28, 2010 at 4:19 PM

BUMP!

asaffell
by Ashley on May. 28, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Agreed. I think it's silly to take a discharge instead of just waiting for the separation date.

Quoting kittylove86:

tessasmom
by Member on May. 28, 2010 at 7:48 PM

After your baby is born you'll have 3 months until you ETS right? Are you talking about terminal leave? If so that doesn't start until your actual ETS date. If you are just taking whatever leave you have built up before you ETS then you could use that during that 3 month period. More than likely you will have to put the baby in daycare for some time.  In my opinion I could never drop my 6 or 8 week old baby off at a daycare and getting 45 days of paid maternity leave just wouldn't be worth it. My unit was really cool and let me stay in until 30 days prior to my due date which is the latest you can stay in with the pregnancy discharge. I still get full benefits such as gi bill b/c I completed 3+ years. Being that they knew my husband was career military and we were a very unit involved couple everyone was really inderstanding of me chaptering.

violinjewel
by Julia on May. 31, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Bump. Hope it works out.

happytexasCM
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 7:32 AM

I was in your situation (USAF). I did get permission to take my leave bank right after my maternity leave; I think I was out a total of twelve weeks. I did have 1.5 months left after all my leave was used and my dh (who was already out) stayed home with the baby.

I worked up to the day my child was born.

locabrat83
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 12:08 PM

i got out but honestly if i were you i wouuld stay. especially if its your first enlistment bc something they don't tell you is if you take the chapter before your enlistment is up then you have to go to the reserves. supposedly its only for a year but i got screwed bc i ets the 13th and my dd will be 6 the 11th. so much for one year. so unless you want to go to the reserves i would just finish. shouldn't be too hard you can't do anything while you are prego. no field, no range. no chemical training. my 1sgt actually put me working at the post gym for my pregnancy. then like you said when u come back from maternity leave you will be clearing. good luck

amberdy
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 12:10 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)