Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't think of a good title but I have thinking to do.

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:29 AM
  • 10 Replies

So since I was in high school I always wanted to be an air traffic controller. My unle was (retired now) and I talked to him. He told me at the time (2002) the only way was to go into the military. I loved that thought. The big thing that held me back was my parents reaction to my brother wanting to join the Marines (mainly my mother. I know she was just worried but she cried a lot). So I was talking to my husband on the drive out to Colorado and we were talking school and I brought up how I have lost all motivation in college, have no idea what I'm headed for, and the only thing I am still interested in is air traffic control. He told me to go for it. First I was shocked and so so sooo happy. I brought up that the only way I know is to go through the military (my uncle was Air Force). He told me that if I want to to do it. I don't know if there is another way to become and air traffic controller, I still need to do my research. I don't even know if there are any openings in any of the branches for an air traffic controller (or whatever I would have to do first).

So I have no real questions.. yet. Just lots to think about. Any input or information is, as always, welcome.

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JennyFreeland
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:29 AM

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ahr/jobs_careers/occupations/atc/

here is a lot of good info about how to go about becoming one. 

brennajoy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Good luck on whatever you decide!

bramamber
by Amber on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:31 AM
I had a friend from AF basic that became one. The tech school was at keesler and was a long tech school. She enjoyed her job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by Nikki on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Quoting brennajoy:

Good luck on whatever you decide!

Photobucket

amberdy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:45 AM

I have no info, but good luck.

jmetz4
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:24 PM

This is really really helpful. Thanks!

Quoting JennyFreeland:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ahr/jobs_careers/occupations/atc/

here is a lot of good info about how to go about becoming one. 

And thanks for all the good lucks.

victoriaherring
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:29 PM
I'm not 100% positive but I don't think you have to join the military. I know someone who was talking about becoming one after her dad and military had nothing to do with it. Good luck though! It's a cool job!
jmetz4
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Thats what I thought. At the time I had talked to my uncle about it (shortly after 9/11) they were being extremely strict about who they employeed. But the link the first responder gave is great. As soon as I get out to CO with Chris again I will look into it more. My uncle loved it. It has interested me for this long so I really think I need to look into it more..

Quoting victoriaherring:

I'm not 100% positive but I don't think you have to join the military. I know someone who was talking about becoming one after her dad and military had nothing to do with it. Good luck though! It's a cool job!

Brittany.Dann
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Here at Fort Rucker there is a bunch of ATC since its an aviation base. lol. Everyone I know who is an ATC loves it. Good luck!

violinjewel
by Julia on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)