Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need to vent to someone!

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:01 PM
  • 3 Replies

Ok so my mother in law was in a bad accident a few months ago, she broke her foot and leg and she is just know being able to put some weight on it. She has a total of 4 grand kids thatlive in Colorado and three of them are mine the other one is my brother in laws. So my brother in law had to leave two days after his baby(bailey)was born he was sent over seas. His wife from the moment he left, left Bailey with everyone to go party and live her life as she called it, so it has a little over a year, My mother in law has bitched that bailey mom and dad is always leaving her with them so they can go party, instead of trying to get their marriage on the right track and her dad trying to get to know his daughter, so my vent is My mother in law has Bailey all the time and my kids have asked me for months if they can go and see their Nana, my mother in law every time I ask her she tells me that she cannot take anyone cause she is hurt, which I understood, but what I don't understand is every time my husband calls to talk to her she always have bailey, so the girls birthday party just passed and she did not come cause she was hurt, but I get on face book this morning and here is pictures of her and all of the family that did not come to girls party at a park of some sort and her and all of her kids that still live in her house and my  brother in law his wife and their daughter bailey at a lake having fun, they didn't even call to see if we wanted to go or if we could bring the girls to the lake so she can see them. I just don't understand, she tells me she loves all of them the same but yet she takes bailey over my girls, her own sons daughters. Clearly to me she has bailey on a higher pedestal. Am I wrong to think this? I need answers!

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
usmclife58
by Nikki on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:21 PM

I would feel the same as you in that situation. My mom does that with my nephew. He is on a higher pedestal than DD. She said it is because DD has other grandparents that are close and do things with her, and she has parents that care about her, while my nephew gets a shorter end of that stick. Whatever. DH and I definitely do invest more time in her than my bro and SIL do in my nephew, but I fail to see what that has to do with grandparents. It bothers me more than DD right now, but she is only 2y. When it comes time that she understands it better, I will let my mother answer her questions of "why?"

themacs4
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I would feel the same way you do.  That is not fair to your children at all.  Has your hubby asked her about it?  She needs to stop bitching about keeping Bailey and her parent's marriage if she is enabling them to act that way. 

My mom is that way with my oldest sister's kids.  It drives me nuts.  She even made the comment this past weekend to my other sister about having to sit around the hospital that one Christmas (2 years ago) while I was in labor with my DD.  No one forced her to come down...Sorry...didn't mean to highjack your vent!!

mommy2lilybear
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 9:23 AM

It is a less than ideal situation. Whether or not she means to, MIL is placing favoratism on the other grandkid. My grandmother did it to my brother and I too. As a kid, we didn't see it too much because mom & dad covered for her but as teens, we knew and it hurt. Now as adults, it's just part of life... which is what I'm getting at, I know it may suck and I'm glad you could vent it out again, but in my personal opinion, it's just a crappy part of life...

Have you sat her down and talked to her about it? Or has DH?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)