Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:42 PM
  • 24 Replies

ok today has not been a good day. dh is army well back in janurary he applied for part of his GI bill for school and they sent him $3000 of it then like a week later sent him a letter saying he had to pay it all back. well since then we have been trying to get a hold of these people so we can get a payment plan in place and today he got a letter from the dept of the treasury saying that if he doesnt set something up within one month then they will take up 15% of his take home pay. plus interest pentalities and all that crap so we have been calling the number all day on the letter and they wont answer we left a voice mail then decided to wait a few hours and tried again well when we tried again they had changed the voice mail and told us to call this 800 number so we did the number has been busy all day apparently dh was one of like 10 thousand people who did this and are now getting letters saying its going to be taken out of their pay if other arrangements arent made. problem is dh is deploying here sometime soon and ugh really i mean this is getting irritateing to where we cant get any answers or anything and i just want somethign set in place before dh leaves so i dont have to worry about not having any money to live on while dh is deployed. also today my real estate property manager was supposed to come do a housing inspection. well she didnt show so i called her and she said she couldnt make it but wanted to come next week and i said that wont work because next week i go back to my schedule of hardly ever being home apparently the owner of the house is comming in from out of town and wants to see the house and she told me that even though i had 72 hours notice i still have the right to say if im not home then she cant bring the owner in and so i told her that no i didnt want her entering when i wasnt home because my dog which is a doberman barks badly at people she has never seen before and my property manager knows my dog is a sweetie but i dont want the owner to feel intimitated by the dog. kwim? so now ugh this is just getting stressful and i just needed to vent if anyone has delt with this dept of treasury stuff before advice would be greatly appreaciated thanks!

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommam58122
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:47 PM

bump

mrsjones2207
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:52 PM

yikes...havent had that problem. that seems like a big mess...sorry momma

asaffell
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:58 PM

All you can do is keep trying to call the number.

themacs4
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:03 PM

As annoying as it is, keep calling and callling!!

Good Luck!

amberdy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Just stay on the phone.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Redial.

Good Luck!!

violinjewel
by Julia on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:49 PM

As the others suggested, just keep calling.

amberdy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Okay, just curious.  If you got GI Bill money that is supposed to be used for education, did you spend it on education?  Or did you blow it on furniture and stuff?  Why did you spend the money on things it wasn't supposed to be spent on?

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Quoting mommam58122:

ok today has not been a good day. dh is army well back in janurary he applied for part of his GI bill for school and they sent him $3000 of it then like a week later sent him a letter saying he had to pay it all back.

So why didn't you send the $3000 back within that week they sent the letter. You can't have spent it on school stuff that quickly.

well since then we have been trying to get a hold of these people so we can get a payment plan in place and today he got a letter from the dept of the treasury saying that if he doesnt set something up within one month then they will take up 15% of his take home pay. plus interest pentalities and all that crap so we have been calling the number all day on the letter and they wont answer we left a voice mail then decided to wait a few hours and tried again well when we tried again they had changed the voice mail and told us to call this 800 number so we did the number has been busy all day apparently dh was one of like 10 thousand people who did this and are now getting letters saying its going to be taken out of their pay if other arrangements arent made. problem is dh is deploying here sometime soon and ugh really i mean this is getting irritateing to where we cant get any answers or anything and i just want somethign set in place before dh leaves so i dont have to worry about not having any money to live on while dh is deployed.

So they will take out 15% of his pay to start paying back this money he owes correct? What happened to the original money? You would still have money left over on his pay checks if they are only taking 15% out. Then your debt would be paid back.

also today my real estate property manager was supposed to come do a housing inspection. well she didnt show so i called her and she said she couldnt make it but wanted to come next week and i said that wont work because next week i go back to my schedule of hardly ever being home apparently the owner of the house is comming in from out of town and wants to see the house and she told me that even though i had 72 hours notice i still have the right to say if im not home then she cant bring the owner in and so i told her that no i didnt want her entering when i wasnt home because my dog which is a doberman barks badly at people she has never seen before and my property manager knows my dog is a sweetie but i dont want the owner to feel intimitated by the dog. kwim? so now ugh this is just getting stressful and i just needed to vent if anyone has delt with this dept of treasury stuff before advice would be greatly appreaciated thanks!

mommam58122
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 10:57 AM

thank God i finally got it taken care of i called and got a hold of one of the people for thecreditors today and they said once it goes to the treasury the only way they can pull it back is with deployment orders so im faxing dh's orders today and we will have it pulled then im going to pay it back with taxes and dh's bonus while he's gone. thank God!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)