Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do u think its fair?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:10 PM
  • 28 Replies

ok our last base we grandfathered in our doberman on base because we got her 1 month before dobermans were added to the not allowed list well this base wont let us grandfather her in even though our last base did so the way i look at it is that it isnt fair to let some people grandfather them in and others not because they came from a different base. i mean i can understand if i would have just bought her here but i didnt i have had her since our last base they want to try to enforce the non vicious dogs soooo bad but yet they allow pits and rotts to be grandfathered in but if u come from another base and had the dog at the previous base you have to get rid of it what sense does that make? if it makes sense to you to not be able to grandfather them in at a new base even though they were allowed at your previous base please let me know bc im lost.

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Life isn't fair and neither is the military.

Jennyfurs27
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:16 PM
Honestly the bases I've been to didn't even enforce the breed restrictions... I couldn't even keep track of all the pits in myneighborhood.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomNtheRes
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:18 PM

hence why I don't live on base, and will do my best not to!

mommyof2EO
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I don't know anything about the base rules(why some of them are there), but I hate having a lot of restrictions. So we live off base. However, personally I hate when people label dogs based on their breed. We had a hard time getting into houses to rent because our dog is a rott/lab mix and since she looks predominately like a rott people "didn't want to chance it". Everything was go for us into quite a few houses until they saw the picture of our dog. When she is the most gentle dog I have ever met. So we went the apartment route and searched around until we found a very pet friendly complex that would let us have our dog. She's a member of the family, so I refuse to get rid of her.

amberdy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:21 PM

If you don't like the rules on base, don't move on base.  And, FYI: punctuation and capitalization makes posts a lot easier to read.  It's hard to follow what you write.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I agree. I usually just skim a post if there is no punctuation.

Quoting amberdy:

If you don't like the rules on base, don't move on base.  And, FYI: punctuation and capitalization makes posts a lot easier to read.  It's hard to follow what you write.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

Life isn't fair and neither is the military.

Photobucket

hobbitswife04
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:27 PM

I agree...on both points.

Also, at your old base, you had the dog before the restrictions went into effect. At the new base, you know going there that the dog isn't allowed in base housing...so it makes sense not to grandfather you in.

Quoting amberdy:

amberdy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:31 PM

I know, if you have a "questionable" dog, you should know this and research other housing options before you move.  But, don't except special treatment because the other base allowed it.  Every base is different.

Quoting hobbitswife04:

I agree...on both points.

Also, at your old base, you had the dog before the restrictions went into effect. At the new base, you know going there that the dog isn't allowed in base housing...so it makes sense not to grandfather you in.

Quoting amberdy:

Soniam301
by Sonia on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM

I know at Ft lewis, if you got a temperment test done, they would approve you. It was written in the rules somewhere...Maybe you can check into that. But like others have said, base housing is not  your only option. Also there are a lot of  off base housing that will also not take agressive breeds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)