Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Small vent about non-military spouse

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:06 PM
  • 43 Replies

So my friend, who knows I am a military wife, is complaining that she can't be cuddling with her husband tonight. He is a railway conductor so occasionally he is gone for a few nights. She is normally so good about not complaining to me cause she knows that I hardly ever get to see my hubby when he is home, but she stated "o the life of a railroad wife, no hubby to cuddle with" and this just kinda hit me the wrong way. Sorry I just needed to get that out.

Wife to Army Spc Chris.(12-17-07)

Stay at home mommy to Riley (7-21-08)

Soon to be a second time mommy in October!

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lex07
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Missing your husband is missing your husband.Period.

victoriaherring
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:10 PM
I can't stand when girls complain about not being able to see/talk to their SO for a day or two.. Actually it even posses me off when it's more than a week.. I've gone 2 months without hearing from my husband before so they can kiss mu butt!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Navymommy18
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Oh!!!! I know what you mean!

Sara.Worthey
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:12 PM

I know that it could be pregnancy hormones, but it just really made me mad. She has complained before, but always makes sure that I don't see it or she says that it is nothing compared to what the military deals with(she says Army though since that is what I am)

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Seriously. I don't see why people get so mad or upset when non-military spouses miss their husbands. Just because they may not be gone as long, doesn't mean they can't be missed. And sometimes, non-military husbands are gone on business for months at a time as well. My uncle is gone 2-6 months at a time to China- and he works in textiles.

Quoting lex07:

Missing your husband is missing your husband.Period.

Photobucket

amberdy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:24 PM

I understand that it sucks whenever they are gone, but it does get kind of annoying when someone knows our husbands are gone for months on end and they complain about a night here and there.  I pick on my sister all the time because my BIL goes fishing with buddies two weekends a year and she's always so sad when he's gone, LOL.  I guess they just aren't as used to it as we are.

themacs4
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:31 PM

It is annoying when non mil. spouses say things like that, but I always have to think that is their reality where their hubby's are gone for a few nights, weeks, whatever.  A lot of people don't realize our reality is lots of months to over a year.  I do understand where you are coming from and her as well. 

Blame it on hormones...LOL..Mine have been crazy all day!!  Three more months till he's here! 

violinjewel
by Julia on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:34 PM

I guess it just depends on the situation, and how long someone's spouse may be gone. We don't know everyone's life or situation.

hobbitswife04
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:43 PM

For me its not so much that they miss thier spouse, thats to be expected. Its when they whine and go on and on about how terrible it is. I just don't see a couple hours or even a couple days as enough to whine about. I know a girl that has moved in with her husband because he works long hours in the summer and she "has to do it all by her self". He goes from 8 hour shifts to 12 hour shifts and has weekends off. She has 3 boys the oldest is 10 and the youngest is 6, but she says its just to much to handle with im not coming home until dark.  Its things like that I have to roll my eyes at.

MissG9
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Who cares if she misses her husband? She didn't sign up for this life for a reason. If she misses her husband, she misses him. And, just because ours may be gone for longer periods of time than hers (theirs), does not negate that.

And, I think that the fact that she has gone to great measures to avoid talking about this around you normally, and has said that her life does not compare to a military wives in that respect...is respectful of her towards you.

But, it can't always be about you.

Maybe she is having a bad day, and really wishes he could be there. Who knows.

And, there is no combination of words I could say...

But, I'll tell you one thing, it's always better when we're together.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)