Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:25 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hi everyone! I need some ideas here. My sister is getting married next fall in Hawaii. It's too expensive for the 4 of us to go and if DH isn't deployed, it will be just me going. But there is a good chance he'll be deployed so of course I'll take the boys with me who will be 5 and 2 at that time. I've never flown with them and I have no idea what to do about car seats for the flight, if they even need them or if I rent a car while I'm in Hawaii. I'm sure a lot of you have flown with your little ones, what did you do?

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Amber on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:33 PM
You can take their carseats with you:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Yep you can bring their car seats and they will check them at the gate. They dont really need them for the flight but you'll need them if you plan on driving anywhere which you'll most likely have too whether a rental or taxi. And the flight is LONG, even if your on the west coast, so make sure to bring tons of entertaining things! Southwest is a lot of times cheaper but they dont have tv's at all so no movies so FYI.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:51 PM

You can check their carseats with your luggage and it's free. You can also take a stroller for free, and keep that with you until you board the plane.

DD loves Twizzlers so I always pack those in my carry-on for her to chew on. It helps with her ears.

Also, MAKE SURE you check-in with your military ID. 9 times out of 10 they will waive your baggage fees. Any other questions feel free to ask :) I've flown with DD (she's almost 2) SOOOO many times, it comes second nature to me

by Kara on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:32 PM

I fly with my little ones (4,2 and an infant) all the time, including out of Alaska. Organization will be your best friend. I give them each (well, not the baby) a small backpack with small toys, books, crayons in it for the to keep with them. In the diaper bag I put easy to travel snacks (peanut butter cracker packs, fruit snacks, some type of non-messy treat) and the DVD player, as well as the diapers and things for the baby. It is in your best interest to know exactly where everything is and how to access it. I would check the carseats with my luggage (you can do it for free) so I don't have to lug them all over the airport. Make sure that on travel day the kids have shoes that they can easily get on and off because they will have to take them off to go through security. Definitely bring your stroller and gate check it (for free).

Also, I have these things called CARES harnesses. You order them online, they are FAA approved and they convert the seat belt into a 4 point harness. It is safer for them during turbulence and things, but mainly I like it because it mimics their carseat harness and they are far more likely to stay in their seat (especially the two year old).

by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Know the rules of the TSA as well!!!!  As long as a child is under 3 you can bring drinks/liqiuds over the 3.4 oz rule.  Get there early enough to go through security it will take you longer with little ones.  I have traveled a couple times wiht little one on a plane along with the fact I work for TSA.  Most of the TSA agents are prior or current military so they will help you out if you just let them know!!!!!  Atleast at my airport 85% have served thier country. 

by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 9:47 AM

The TSA guys are usually really nice... when we flew into JFK and had a connection flight, there was  HUGE line for security so my husband went up to one of them and asked if we could go up front (showed him his military ID) and the guy said "yeah sure just follow me" sometimes they even have a seperate line for military! good luck with everything... oh and if your hubby is deployed you could fly space a! maybe you want to do that and save money:-)

by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:03 PM

also if you have a big layover somewhere  see if the airport has a USO lounge.  I hear they are great, I have just never had a long enough layover to use one

by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:14 PM

You can take them on board or check them (I'd probably check them if I were flying alone, since it's HARD running through an airport with carseats - the airline has to provide one for you if they lose it, so you'll have one either way).

Other than that, I'd get the FAA harnesses, and then I'd pack bags with new toys, crayons, and snacks and have realistic expectations. It's stressful, but it's just as hard for little ones as it is for us. :)

by Nikki on Jun. 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM

by Melissa on Jun. 15, 2010 at 1:47 PM

I always brought the car seats on the flight with me because they knew once they were strapped in like in the car they were not able to move.  I travel by myself quite often with the three kids and usually take 2 car seats.  I hang them over the stroller and tie them on that way.  It worked well for me as well as I always brought the double stroller.  That way I only had one that was walking.  It is amazing how inconsiderate travelers are, they will plow over your children if they need to get somewhere.

For us snacks are a life saver.  The old favorites but also some special new ones that they have never tried that they can get if they are being really good.  I bring a backpack and the kids have rolling bags as well.  I try not to bring things that are round so that if they fall they do not roll away from us.  My butt does not fit between the seats very well.  I remember trying to look for a pacifier once.  And it was the last of the many that i had brought and it was so hard.  So if they have something that brings them lots of comofort you might bring double. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)