• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recruiter wives.... I have a question

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:13 AM
  • 23 Replies

My husband wants to try and be a recruiter. Is it really worth it?

I've heard it's worse than just being active duty. Is this true?

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mylilgooberpea
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:20 AM

oh wow let me find my previous posts about this.....

mylilgooberpea
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:22 AM

ok here are a few posts all put together for you....

i made apost about this its really  36 1 month deployments. NO JOKE youll never know when they will be coming home at night and they will have to work some weekends. my DH was gone for a week and the only time i missed him was 10pm becausee thats when he came home. ill try and re post the post i made.

every ones experiance is diff though.

just to let yall know my DH has been a recruiter for the past 3 years. hes been gone for a week showing some teachers how the Navy works and jobs they do. yay he will be back tonight but anyway long story short his hours are so long that i really didnt really notice he was gone! life hasnt changed it just felt like a regular work week. i notice around 10 or so that im alone but i go to bed a couple of hours after that so i only have about 2 hours to miss him. serously i NEVER see the man before 10 pm, when he does come home hes totally exhausted and is tired of talking. so if they tell you they should be home no later than 5 or 6pm and dont have to work weekends dont believe them! thier hours will be long and hard. its been just like 36-1 month deployments. there have been times where hes worked hard all month long trying to get someone qualified to join finally foundsomeone on the last day of the month. yay pat on the back you rock then on the 1st of the next month (the next day) they were asking him why he didnt have anyone "on deck"  ready to join yet. ive had to learn to ask his higher ups what are they really trying to do? because they will tell you one thing then turn around and do something else. ive lost track of how many times the guys in the office have said man that female recruitoffered me sex or a bj for a better job! thats x many this month! the recruiters cant give them jobs only the people at MEPS can and thier score on the ASVAB. if you get a 26 you cant be a nuke!

not every persons experience will be the same, seems like every wife and recruiter ive talked to say the same things. im just letting you know it will be hard but not impossible, DH and i are proof that you CAN get through it! and it dose really good things for thier careers. especially when they go up for chief or officer ect.

mylilgooberpea
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:23 AM

and heres some more... things might be a little mixed up because i replied to things but i think i explained the questions and comments in each post. but this sums it up.....

they have to keep a log of when they are doing at every moment of every day, so we added up the time when he was on sea duty and deployed and his first year of recruiting. during the sea duty he was gone a total of 10 months ( not all at once workups underways and deployment included) and we saw ecah other more on sea duty.

beacuse when they are on leave at sea duty they only have to call in once or twice. recruiting they have to go in when called or talk for hours with thier RINC its worse when they are the recruiter in charge of the office! Dh had to work his entire paturnity leave! i hada c section and couldnt get up off the couch without help! thank God my mom was there! on sea duty when they are home and dont have watch on the weekends they are home. recruiting they may have to work on sat and sunday because they made an appt that day or have to take someone to MEPS to test or join. they always have to carry the government phone around with them EVERYWHERE.

some people love recruiting and have a very happy healthy family life. they actually can become career recruiters and never be deployed again! but the only people ive heard of that is the ones working at MEPS usually they are gone by 4pm no later than 6 every day. but the ones out in the field harldy ever. there are the rare days where he walks in the door at 7 and i look at him like what are you doing here?!?!?they say you should be off no later than 4 IF you get all your work done. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA yeah that hardly ever happens!! theres always admin or phone calling or SOMETHING that needs to be worked on.

Jmill907
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:03 AM

My hubby just got off recruiting...THANK GOD!!!!  We tought it would be great...at first.  You think that there are perks to it.  IE:  having regular hours, weekends off for the most part, more family time, but it's not true.  In DH's station they worked from 9am to about 8pm most nights and they have to work darn near every weekend.  When he wasn't in the office, he was having to take kids up to process (an overnight trip for us), or he had kids calling his cell phone with questions all of the time.  Not only that, but he was stressed the whole 2 years...even though he went from recuiting to Korea for the year, he is far less stressed and I feel like we are doing better as a family. 

Je_Jette_Poo
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Thanks for answering! I emailed him this thread so he can read it haha

tarinah
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:04 AM

what branch? if he's AF i say do it, they pretty much have a walk in market.  But any other i would say dont do it.  My DH (army) volunteered for 3 years back in 05.  Its supposed to be a 3 year tour and guess what we are still doing it and will be for the next 6 years.  Thats right 11 years.  He was good at it so they involuntarily converted him to permanent recruiter.  He had no choice if he wanted to stay in he HAD to be a recruiter.  They screwed us BAD!  He never sees the kids,  you dont have any other military around you usually.  You have no idea what i would do to be near a post again!

KBix
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:05 AM
I guess we are lucky being in the atlanta recruiting battalion. My husband gets off at 5 some nights maybe 6. No weekend working unless you count festivals and six flags and we get to go. They even get a half day for each recruit that they put in. So I guess it just depends on where you get stationed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tarinah
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Quoting KBix:

I guess we are lucky being in the atlanta recruiting battalion. My husband gets off at 5 some nights maybe 6. No weekend working unless you count festivals and six flags and we get to go. They even get a half day for each recruit that they put in. So I guess it just depends on where you get stationed

and your station commander!

Im a 30 year old army wife and proud SAHM mom. I am a cloth diapering, selective vaccinating, non-circumsizing, extended breastfeeding, and ERF kind of mama to Colton 1 and Sierra 4. I do what is best for MY children!!!
KBix
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:48 AM

our station commander is pretty awesome. he is a very family oriented man

Quoting tarinah:

Quoting KBix:

and your station commander!

Kristina~mommy to Bailian and wife to Brad~ 
Je_Jette_Poo
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:49 AM

He is army. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)