Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hot topic on a hot day - Gays in the military - where do you stand?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:01 AM
  • 280 Replies

Military moms - we had such a great discussion about McChrystal and someone brought up the issue about gays in the military and there was some confusion.  Right now it is "don't ask - don't tell", however they are trying to pass new legislation to allow Gays to serve openly.  How do you feel?  Keep in mind this affects everything military - housing, pay, benefits, sgli.  I love to read your thoughts - you go military mommas!!

Proud Military Mom - Jen

american flag ribbon

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
new2this09
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Wasn't this discussed in another thread recently?

Anyway, I think it's discrimination to not allow gays to serve openly. It should be their choice whether to tell anyone or not tell anyone; just like it's my choice to share whether or not I'm straight.

How would this affect pay?

-Mattel-
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:07 AM

No. 

I don't care if 'gays' and I hate that term serve but I don't think DADT should be removed. 

omerciful1
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I understand the different view points for both sides. Honestly- someones sexuality does not dictate how well they can perform their job. I think that people need to quit worrying about what goes on in another's bedroom.....

-Mattel-
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:12 AM

It would affect pay in the terms of BAH, not all states recognize Gay Marriage so those that are 'married' do they get BAH for married soldier or not? Do they get seperation allowance. Not every state allows gay marriage and since the federal govern. doesn't than a 'married' gay couple wouldn't get married rate BAH, family sep, and so on...

Did that make sense? sorry

Quoting new2this09:

Anyway, I think it's discrimination to not allow gays to serve openly. It should be their choice whether to tell anyone or not tell anyone; just like it's my choice to share whether or not I'm straight.

new2this09
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Oh I see...

No, I don't think it would affect pay then, in that case...since gay marriage is not recognized by federal law. Pay for gay members would remain as it is now...unless they marry a member of the opposite sex.

It is unfortunate that gays would not get the same benefits as married military members; but until gay marriage is signed into federal law, it just won't happen.

Quoting -Mattel-:

It would affect pay in the terms of BAH, not all states recognize Gay Marriage so those that are 'married' do they get BAH for married soldier or not? Do they get seperation allowance. Not every state allows gay marriage and since the federal govern. doesn't than a 'married' gay couple wouldn't get married rate BAH, family sep, and so on...

Quoting new2this09:

-Mattel-
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:17 AM

My views on this are so back and forth.

I am against Gay Marriage but incredibly Pro Civil Unions. I think they should be allowed the BAH, Family Sep, and whatnot if DADT is rescinded.

I also think Gays should be allowed to serve, but with DADT. I will be the first to say my views are wishy washy. 

Oh I see...

No, I don't think it would affect pay then, in that case...since gay marriage is not recognized by federal law. Pay for gay members would remain as it is now...unless they marry a member of the opposite sex.

It is unfortunate that gays would not get the same benefits as married military members; but until gay marriage is signed into federal law, it just won't happen.

Quoting -Mattel-:

Quoting new2this09:

denise3680
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I served in the military and did so right along with gay soliders, their sexuality wasnot an issue, since they did not put their personal business in the forefront of their everyday life.  Alot of gay/lesbian ppl serve now, I know some and they have stated that even if they rescind this rule, they still would not comeout, so to speak, to them it is not necessary for ppl to know what they do in their private lives.  I am for repelling it simply I find it unfair to ruin or stop someones career because of their sexuality.

amberdy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:48 AM

I don't think it matters if someone is hetero or homosexual as to how they could perform a military job.  I don't think it's right to have someone risking getting in trouble because of how they choose to live.  People need to learn to live and let live, including in a military setting.

daspencer08
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:42 AM

I agree that the gov't needs to leave them alone. They should be able to qualify for any military benefit. You can't just outcast someone because they don't use the bedroom the same way you do... hope that makes sense. It just like religion (and I'm not trying to get the pot stirred here); it doesn't matter what you believe in so why does it matter who you are in love with?? You enter the military for one main basic reason no matter 'what' you are.. and that is to serve your country! Seriously though, if we got into a huge world war and they enstated the draft, do you think the military is going to turn men away who are gay?? Duh, no.. they can't.

ArmyWifeAshlie
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I think it will complicate things. I'm not against it, but I think it will complicate procedures like benefits and such. Personally I dont care who someone loves, my mom is gay. But I think DADT was instituted because sexuality, hetero or homo- has no place in a war zone. They should be focused on work, plain and simple.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)