• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen parents.....

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:47 PM
  • 32 Replies

So I was just curious on what everyone thinks about teen parents. What would you do if your daughter got pregnant at 15, 16, 17 years old? What about if your son got a girl pregnant at that age? I was 15 when I got pregnant, hubby was 16, and I was 16 when she was born, and hubby was 17. My Mom stayed drunk the whole first week after we found out, my step dad was just like whatever, and my dad was always drunk so one minute he was like well I know you will do OK, and then the next I was gonna end up with 9 kids in a trailer, with none of the fathers. Now Iam 19 very happily married, to my DD's father, I finished high school and college, and we have our own little town home, and no more kids as of right now lol. Like I said I was just curious on what everyone else though about the subject.

armynursetoddler girla_25-1.png surviving deployment image esmith52323

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Petite.Amante
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:53 PM

I was engaged to DH when we got pregnant, but I was 18, taking 4 college classes and had 3 jobs. I quit college after we got married and moved with him. DD will be 2 at the end of July and we are expecting another little girl at the end of August. I may have "dropped out" of college, but I got my Personal Trainer Certification and could make $20/hour (if I wasn't pregnant lol)

I would never condone someone to get pregnant as a teen, but things happen and even young parents should have a chance at being GREAT parents.

If DD got pregnant young, I would probably cry because I know how hard it is (and can be). But I would stand behind her no matter what she chose to do.

menagerebelle.xanga.com  (My new blog on being a Menagere Belle)

militarywife09
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Thats probably what I would do also, I want to try to be completley honest at all times with her, so she knows how hard it really is. So hopefully that wont happen.

Quoting Petite.Amante:

I was engaged to DH when we got pregnant, but I was 18, taking 4 college classes and had 3 jobs. I quit college after we got married and moved with him. DD will be 2 at the end of July and we are expecting another little girl at the end of August. I may have "dropped out" of college, but I got my Personal Trainer Certification and could make $20/hour (if I wasn't pregnant lol)

I would never condone someone to get pregnant as a teen, but things happen and even young parents should have a chance at being GREAT parents.

If DD got pregnant young, I would probably cry because I know how hard it is (and can be). But I would stand behind her no matter what she chose to do.

bluesky51201
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:18 AM

I was technically a teen mom.  I married DH three months before I turned 19 and got pregant 10 months later.  I was 20 when older DS was born.  I would so not be happy if either of my boys got someone pregnant as a teenager or if a teenage daughter got pregnant.  I don't know that I would get mad, what's done is done, but there would be a lot of tears.  I saw one of my best friends go through a teenage pregnancy when we were seniors and she had to give up so much.  I wouldn't want that for my children.  While she was pregnant it wasn't too big of a deal but after she had the baby she couldn't do anything.  A lot of people quit hanging out with her because she could never go out and do things.  I'm not saying teenagers need to party or anything like that.  But I had a blast in high school.  I was in band, on the flag line, in lots of clubs, and weekends were reserved for friends and hanging out.  I would hate for my children to miss out on friday night games, cruising with their friends, going to the movies, and just being teenagers because they have to grow up fast and take care of a baby.  I want them to have fun and be children while they still can, it goes fast enough as it is. 

OP, how did you finish college in two years?  Was it a two year degree or a four year?

militarywife09
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Would you want your sons to get a job and stand up and be a parent, or just go on with H.S. like nothing changed while you help take care of his baby? I ask this becasue this is what my MIL wanted my hubby to do, but he wanted to be apart of our DD's life, and he wanted to stay with me and he knew if he did that I would break up with him.

I did a 8 month Medical Assisting program, I got a Medical Assisting Diploma, so technically its not a college college, it was more of a Tech school, its just easier to say college. In a few years I am going back to be an R.N. though.

Quoting bluesky51201:

I was technically a teen mom.  I married DH three months before I turned 19 and got pregant 10 months later.  I was 20 when older DS was born.  I would so not be happy if either of my boys got someone pregnant as a teenager or if a teenage daughter got pregnant.  I don't know that I would get mad, what's done is done, but there would be a lot of tears.  I saw one of my best friends go through a teenage pregnancy when we were seniors and she had to give up so much.  I wouldn't want that for my children.  While she was pregnant it wasn't too big of a deal but after she had the baby she couldn't do anything.  A lot of people quit hanging out with her because she could never go out and do things.  I'm not saying teenagers need to party or anything like that.  But I had a blast in high school.  I was in band, on the flag line, in lots of clubs, and weekends were reserved for friends and hanging out.  I would hate for my children to miss out on friday night games, cruising with their friends, going to the movies, and just being teenagers because they have to grow up fast and take care of a baby.  I want them to have fun and be children while they still can, it goes fast enough as it is. 

OP, how did you finish college in two years?  Was it a two year degree or a four year?

logans.momma.21
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:36 AM

i have a few friends that were teen moms, some are wonderful mothers and some should have their children taken from them... i honestly would be dissapointed if my son or daughter was having a child before they were stable and ready for that kind of lifetime commitment. but even though i would be upset i wouldnt kick them to the curb or abandon them. i think it all depends on the child themselves and the kind of support system they have behind them.

wruss
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:48 AM

I went to school with a girl who got pregnant in 7th grade, had her baby, and let her mom take it...and now, that child (to this day) thinks the girls mother is her mother...if you take responsibility, and raise your own child, and do what is best for you and your child, then more power to you...but when you sit there and KNOW you can't take care of your child, and decide to let your mother raise it, another story...btw, she has nothing to do with her child, or her mother anymore...she has never cared about her child...

asaffell
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:21 AM

I got pregnant at 19, and while my husband and I are so happy now, it has been a tough road that I really wouldn't want my kids to take. I'm hoping that we can avoid a lot of what we went through by being honest with our kids about what a struggle it was.

MommaSpry
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:23 AM

I wasnt a teen mom so I dont know what its like, I do know what its like to be a single mom and that was definately the hardest thing i've ever been through. I honestly dont know how I would react, I guess I'd be pretty upset but I'd still love my children and I'd make them grow up and be parents or let dh and I take over custody of them (adopt the baby) so the baby can have the life he/she deserves. I would do anything for them, but they also have to try.

militarywife09
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:57 AM

That is sooo sad!!! I could never do that.

Quoting wruss:

I went to school with a girl who got pregnant in 7th grade, had her baby, and let her mom take it...and now, that child (to this day) thinks the girls mother is her mother...if you take responsibility, and raise your own child, and do what is best for you and your child, then more power to you...but when you sit there and KNOW you can't take care of your child, and decide to let your mother raise it, another story...btw, she has nothing to do with her child, or her mother anymore...she has never cared about her child...

tangleballlover
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:19 AM

I was 17 when I got pregnant, 18 when I had DS. I had a great group of friends and family that supported me 100% (not including my stepdad). I think that because I was really active in band and I was a straight-A honors student, no one thought of me as a slut so I had it pretty easy. Everyone thought I was cute and what not.

If my DD gets pregnant while she's still in school.. I will do everything in my power to support her but also show her the skills she needs to be a mother and "grow up" - I would hope that if she did get pregnant, she would be like me at that age and be mature and okay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)