• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To Live ON POST or NOT? ..Is the QUESTION?..

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:03 AM
  • 27 Replies

Poll

Question: To live ON-POST or NOT??, is the question!

Options:

On Post

Off Post

OTHER

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 34

View Results

So I don't know anything about living on POST we have been living OFF-POST. But we are going to be getting a change of where we are stationed. Most likely in a TOTALLY DIFFERENT STATE!! We are super excited. So here's a poll on what you military mommas think is best! And just explain if you pick other. THANK YOU!

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:10 AM
It really depends on the post. Some have great housing communities and others are a huge steaming pile of crap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MarrsBar211989
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:11 AM

What kind of crap? lol. I won't know the post for a month or so I think. But most likely Fort Bragg.

xerin27
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Depends. Which sucks for most people cause you dont know until you are at that base. Try to meet people on online groups for the base and see what people say. Down falls for both. Pluses for both. It just really all depends. And even if so you do go on base, whos to say you will be in the newer part then the older?

MarrsBar211989
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:20 AM

So TRUE and DH isn't high ranking so it would most likely be the older ones haha. But only God knows lol.

LWilson8889
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Educate yourself on the community of where you are being stationed and on the financial costs.. My husband and I live off base bc we pocket an extra $300 a month from it. It all depends on what your basic allowance for housing is going to be and the possible housing bills you will have to pay. My suggestion is to first find out where you are going and then take your time finding a place that is right for you. You will find many advocates for both living on and off base. Make sure you consider distance from base and gas also!! Good luck with your search.. and if I were you I would let the army move you.. a DITY move is a nightmare!!

bluesky51201
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:25 AM

We're living off base for the first time in nine years and OMG it's heaven compared to living on base.  When we were on base it always felt like we couldn't escape the military, it surrounded us.  DH works in finance so neighbors would stop by when we were outside to ask questions, work just never seemed to stop.  We rented a nice house in a really nice neighborhood and it's a totally different experience.  It's so quiet, during the day and at night.  I can have people over whenever and not have to worry about getting passes or going to pick them up.  We're still only about 10 minutes away but it's nice to be living away. 

wruss
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:50 AM

if you're coming to bragg...it also depends on what kind of houses you qualify for...you'll want to look on the braggpicerene.com website (might of spelled that wrong) and look at the floor plans for what you qualify for...most neighborhoods are renovating houses right now...which when they are renovated, look AMAZING....but, some of the lists are SUPER long, and you'll want to be put on one ASAP if you want to live on post...

btw, I'm at bragg, and I live on post...just got moved out of an unrenovated house, to a MUCH nicer house...if you qualify for a 4 bedroom, I HIGHLY recommend Nijmegen...

MommaSpry
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:31 AM

I dont know, I think it all depends on the person, the post, and the area. lol

Tictactara03
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:34 AM

i live off post but i drive to post like everyday to hang out with people, shop, go to the park or lake....so really it would be nicer to just be on post i would think...im a very social person.  DH refuses to live on post tho bc he considers the whole post as his "place of work" and likes to be able to leave it after a long day at the office..which i understand.

TippyD
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:07 AM

it depends on what is best for your family. Things to consider when deciding to live on or off base is: money, space, and rules.

Money: will you living on base be beneficial to you? will it be cheaper to live out in town*remember to include gas, utilities, HOA's, etc*?

Space:*kind of goes with money* will you have enough space in town? will you get more room for your money in town or on base?yard size?

Rules: what type of pets are you allowed? what are the rules for your  base house? curfews?

for us, our first duty station we kept getting told we WOULD be moving with in a year so we lived in base housing*for what ended up being 4 years!*  we would have bought a house had we know we would be there that long, anyways, out current duty station, it is better financially for us to be in base housing. we were in an 1100 sq ft, 2 bed, 1.5 bath, all amenaties, 1 car garage, and JUST*like still unpacking* moved into a 2200+sq ft 3 bed, 2.5 bath, 2 car garage for our BAH. it is DEFINITELY worth it for us to be here. especially since the cheapest house we could afford was in the ghetto or over an hour drive away:( , we cant rent in town due to having a great dane, soo for US moving into housing was beneficial.  Also remember when looking at housing websites, they have pretty pictures, but it can be VERY deceptive! and while they may have SOME pretty houses, you may have to be on a waiting list for the nicer ones.*the base we are at, you have to live in a crappy house before you can get a nice one!* ok I just saw you are going ot ft. bragg. My suggestion is to get off base!! the city is HUGE and you can definitely find something in a halfway decent neighborhood:)

this is an AMAZING website that has houses for rent/sale by military for military!

http://www.militarybyowner.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)