• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about working in another state but being a diffrent state resident

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:55 PM
  • 19 Replies

I'm a registered alaskan resident, but i work for a place in NJ. They are taking a numerous amount of taxes out that is NJ taxes and I was wondering if they are supposed to take out my registered state tax out? I was told by a man that if i'm registered in one state and work for another the state i am resident of are the taxes that are supposed to come out of my NJ paychecks. Each week it seems like more and more new taxes show up on my paper even if i make a dollar more and I tried asking my boss and he has no clue.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TabethaBeth
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:01 AM

call hr block and ask

ArmyWifeAshlie
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:07 AM
I believe there is a "military spouse residency relief act" that is either waiting to be passed or was recently passed. But I would call h&r block and ask or the IRS if they don't have an answer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
violinjewel
by Julia on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:15 AM
Bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Adorkable87
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 2:00 AM

i would call human resorces at the company and ask them.

Jennifer.M
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 9:36 AM

They are suppose to be taking out the New Jersey Taxes.  I found this on the New Jersey Dept of Treasury division of Taxations website:

A place of abode, whether in this State or elsewhere, is not considered to be permanent if it is maintained only during a temporary stay for the accomplishment of a particular purpose. Therefore, a nonmilitary spouse/civil union partner who is not domiciled in New Jersey, and who moves to this State on a temporary basis to accompany a military spouse/civil union partner who is stationed here, does not become a New Jersey resident unless he or she intends to remain here permanently. He or she will be considered a nonresident for New Jersey income tax purposes, and will be subject to tax only on income earned from New Jersey sources.

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/military/taxinformation.shtml

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jun. 28, 2010 at 10:22 AM

BUMP!

themacs4
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Hmmm...IDK, but good luck!

mommam58122
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 10:59 AM

you need to ask probably whomever is in charge of payroll for your job

happy6
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 11:00 AM

they should be taking taxes out for NJ

mandaschelle
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 11:27 AM

NJ  gets to take taxes. Sucks but thats how it is. I'm a Fl resident with no state income taxes but when DH was stationed in Hawaii and I worked there I had to pay their taxes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)